Huron County Sheriff......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
I live in Erie County and monitor all surrounding counties. I often hear Huron County Sheriff say, "switch to scramble" and then the radio traffic becomes unable to be heard. I was wondering why they are the only ones doing it, and is there anyway to unscramble?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I live in Erie County and monitor all surrounding counties. I often hear Huron County Sheriff say, "switch to scramble" and then the radio traffic becomes unable to be heard. I was wondering why they are the only ones doing it

They have chosen to do so for security reasons.

is there anyway to unscramble?

No, that is quite illegal, and we don't permit discussion of ways and means to accomplish illegal actions in this forum.

SCPD

QRT
They have chosen to do so for security reasons.

No, that is quite illegal, and we don't permit discussion of ways and means to accomplish illegal actions in this forum.

I'm sorry about that reply. Were you just wondering in general if it's possible? I'm not sure but if it were, what would be the point of them encrypting in the first place? Plus it's Huron County, they're probably just talking about damage to cornfields.

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

Neighboring Ashland County does the same thing when going to the scramble channel

jackj

Why and if

I live in Erie County and monitor all surrounding counties. I often hear Huron County Sheriff say, "switch to scramble" and then the radio traffic becomes unable to be heard. I was wondering why they are the only ones doing it, and is there anyway to unscramble?
They do it because they have traffic to pass that they think is either private (name, address, SS number, etc) or could be detrimental to an investigation. Another reason is "because they can".

Scrambling for analog systems isn't really very common anymore. Cell phones are cheap and just as secure, maybe more so than scrambled analog systems.

Can it be unscrambled. Yes, otherwise the intended person couldn't understand the traffic. Could you unscramble it. Not legally if you aren't authorized to receive that traffic. There are very hefty fines and prison sentences for that.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
WOW....i didnt know that this question would produce so many negative feedback. Well first of all LISALOLO, THANK YOU for your response, and JACKJ, THANK YOU also.

NOW....MR. WA8PYR...all i did was ask a question...isnt that what a forum is for? Now you were very stern on your reponse. WHY? I have friends and family that are police officers and STATE TROOPERS. I am not up to no good and dont need CORRECTED from you. THANK YOU.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
NOW....MR. WA8PYR...all i did was ask a question...isnt that what a forum is for? Now you were very stern on your reponse. WHY? I have friends and family that are police officers and STATE TROOPERS. I am not up to no good and dont need CORRECTED from you. THANK YOU.

I am the forum moderator and those are the rules. Plain and simple.

I regret that your feelings were hurt, but discussion of ways and means to defeat encryption is simply not permitted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.