huron south dakota police

amos1

i cannot receive huron police are they scrambled or did they change freqs.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Looking in the radioreference database, Huron police have analog frequencies and digital talkgroups, like many agencies in the state. They probably use digital primarily, but may still use analog as backup or for privacy. Their digital talkgroups aren't listed as encrypted. What frequencies are you trying?

Last edited:

amos1

i am using an analog uniden scanner. i have all of the freqs programmed police fire and aircraft. Aircraft works fine but none of the huron stuff doesn't. huron police at 453.900 i get nothing at all.
Guess i need a new digital scanner

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Yes you do need a digital scanner, and since the new system the state is switching to is P25 Phase 2, you will need to be careful which one you get. Stick with one of the following Uniden scanners; BCD996P2 (not the T or XT), BCD325P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, or SDS200. The bolded ones are handhelds, the non-bolded are base/mobile. I just bought a BCD996P2 to replace my feed BCD996XT which will no longer work when the digital system is updated. Expect to pay $300 to $700 for a digital scanner, depending on the model, and whether used or new. If cost is no issue, the SDS scanners are the latest and greatest. They'll all work with analog frequencies as well.

Note that unless you understand the basics of digital trunking, programming digital scanners is challenging, and is very difficult to do without using the available (and free) Windows software. Even with the software you need to know what you're doing. You can pay people to send you a programming file to upload to your scanner, but that can be pricey. You may find someone in the state that would do it for you, particularly someone in your area who already has it set up for their scanner.

Note that agencies have the option to encrypt, and if they do, you can't pick them up. It costs the agency to do it, so most just designate SWAT or special ops channels as encrypted, and leave everything else in the clear.

Last edited:

amos1

Thanks for that, for just an intermittent user the cost maybe to high. gone are the good old days of analog and cheap scanners.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Another option is to just listen to the Beadle county feed on your phone or computer. I suggest the Android app "Scanner Radio" or the iTunes version, "Scanner Radio Deluxe". Not sure if the Beadle feed carries Huron police, or if that is even for digital or analog. I'm listening to it now and not hearing anything, so may be analog.

Yes, the days of cheap analog scanners is gone in most of the US. But, audio is vastly improved so there's that. And it tells you what agency and talkgroup you're listening to.

UPDATE: Never mind, it's analog, which is pretty useless.

Last edited:

amos1

i would like to buy a another scanner to work on huron police fire and ems but dont need a 700 dollar scanner. what do i need to look for digital wise that will allow me to listen to.
Thanks

bbtkd

Feed Provider
For a base/mobile I'd suggest a Uniden BCD996P2. If you're patient you can pick one up under $300 on Ebay. New they're $399.

For a handheld, I'd suggest the BCD325P2 or BCD436HP. Either will cost you $300-$400 used on Ebay. The 436 is decent, but I don't have any experience with the 325.

Whistler also has options, but they're equally expensive and less common/popular than Uniden.

Sorry, no cheap options that will support the new SD Digital system.

ikm19

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I will start looking
I just looked thru your questions and understand that you need digital scanner or SDR. I prefer SDR and let it run, I am more static scanner, I dont travel with scanner. If you dont want to drive around US with a scanner and listen to local police you can just use SDR. For example I live in Rapid City and all I care about is RCPD and Pennington County Sheriff, so I have SDR scanning on my laptop and its coming out to my phone over another app or broadcastify for yourself and others who is interested. If this is interesting to you let me know, I can go in Great detail on how to set it up.

nolinger

Premium Subscriber
Just so your question is answered, Huron PD, County SO, Fire, and EMS are all on the State Digital system. About the only thing analog in Huron is the State Fair security radios used primarily during the once a year state fair.

amos1

not sure if i am in the right group but i am trying to programm my bcd996p2 with proscan, got the huron police but not sure if i got the talk groups right like sheriff etc.

KC0LOE

Do you have your system type and band plan set like the attached pictures? You need the system type, frequencies/tower sites, then talk group groups. Use the Dec IDs for the talk groups you want to scan from the database. I have an outdoor antenna so, I can reliably scan the three state radio towers in the screen shot. Only put in tower sites that you can get a strong signal from at your location. Towers with marginal signal strength, will cause the traffic to sound like R2D2.

Attachments

• Band Plan.jpg
    Band Plan.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13
  • System Type.jpg
    System Type.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: