Hustler Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejohnsonmfr

I see a lot of Hustler antennas on E-Bay. They sound cheap. Anyone used one? I need a good mobile for my SUV, mostly VHF and UHF freq (154-158 and 453-460). I will do either mag mount or a bracket screwed into the fender next to the hood.

jon_k

Here is their website. They seem local to me. I've never had experience with them.

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/index.html

You didn't mention which antenna you want. You should have and we could've probably provided a review.

Here is a review of one of their antennas and overall looks good. The people giving poor reviews seem like people who may have got a poor unit or are poor operators. (I'll find reviews posted on my favorite items with operators saying it fell apart immediately, etc etc. Idiots break their merchandise the day they get it, and out of frustration (of their inexperience) will post poor reviews.)

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/118

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have the Hustler 5-BTV that I use on 80m-10m. It's a champ - excellent performance for a vertical. And that's with no radials installed too. I know other hams that use them, and they all have good things to say as well.

fineshot1

I have always had good luck with there mobile line of antennas. I still use the SF-220
and its been a solid long lasting performer and offers good gain.

It looks like they do not have any mobile dual banders for 154-158 and 453-460,
single banders only for the commercial & public saftey spectrum.

I suppose its possible you could trim down an amateur version and make it resonant
if you know what you are doing and have a decent swr meter for vhf/uhf.

RF-Burns

If you only need it for VHF/UHF use a VHF Quarterwave antenna. You don't need anything more. Why put a 36 inch antenna on the car when you can use 17 and get the same results.

Ejohnsonmfr

I have a glass-mount in my truck now, but it doesn't seem to get very good reception. I read in another thread that window tint can hamper performance. This truck has the factory dark tint. That, and the 2 halves were not perfectly lined up when installed (my fault).
I might check into the Quarterwave, see how that one is.

SAR923

Hustler makes decent consumer grade antennas. What I like about them is that they've pretty much stuck to proven designs for antennas instead of spending money on those wideband pieces of junk that some companies want $70 or $80 for and don't work worth a darn. Their trunk lip mounts are kind of ugly but they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.