HWY I80 multiple accidents near Whitmore-Blue Canyon area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

Scanner very busy with multiple accidents on I 80 right now. Sounds like they got a surprise snow storm, no one prepared, no chain control set up. I heard one Cal Trans person want a code 13 called. Sounded to me like an all hands on deck type thing. I heard one 1144, 7 or 8 car pile-ups. Cal Fire Grass Valley, Cal Trans Kingvale and Gray 2 all very busy. 1137 am right now.
Norm.

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
Just heard NHP dispatch a minute ago advising of the 1144(s). They also just now advised of an accident at Gold Ranch just east of the state line in NV and one of the units is heading to check on some reported accidents just west of the state line. Should be a busy evening...

They (NHP) are also looking to call in some extra units for support. It also sounds like the NHP will be closing their side at Gold Ranch in the next few minutes.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Weather 12/6 & 12/7

I've been listening to all of this as well. Early on there were so many calls that CalFire (GV) couldn't tell if callers were reporting separate accidents or the same one. Consider that many drivers can't tell dispatchers where they are on those stretches of I-80 during the bright summer months, it is a lot more challenging to do so when everything everywhere looks the same.

I heard a couple of people talking from the Sierra County Sheriff's office (one in Downieville and I'm not sure where the other was, but in an office) and they were each describing that ".. a lot of snow was coming down right now". This was ~17:00.

I caught a Wx report from a local TV station and they have suggested we might get snow in the valley by morning. They said they are projecting a low of 27F.

NWtoSFO

80 was a mess from late morning on. CHP closed EB at Colfax and turned all bigrigs at Applegate. I made my way to Alta by way of backroads and only seemed to share the road with towtrucks! I came back down around 3pm and caught the heaviest snow in Applegate, but I'm sure it was worse up the hill. An ambulance got stuck, and well as an engine. Most units from Colfax were sent up the hill to help, as well as from Truckee. WB was closed at the stateline.

Plenty of snow fell from 2:30 - 4:30 this morning in Citrus Heights. Covered everything. Ironically, twice as much fell at my place as did in Roseville.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Recipe for disaster

If you are coming down the hill, I would do it NOW before dark.

I recorded a low here of only 37 last night, yet there is about 1" of snow in my front yard and 2-3" on my truck. The high here is expected to be only about 43 with an overnight low of 27. So much of that snow and rain which has fallen over the past 24+ hours is going to melt, remain on the roads, then FREEZE.

If you think the traffic was bad today, wait until TUE or WED morning. I know I'd rather drive on fresh powdered snow than ice. And it sounds like tomorrow there is going to be some fresh snow covering ice, which is deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.