Hyde Park, UT - Hyde Park official says disasters need a budget cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
“It’s like a cell phone but on a radio-based technology,” Potts said. I laughed for 15 minutes after reading that line.

This guy is a genius.

So, from my 7 years in OEM and 13 years in the fire service, let me tell you why this guy is a fool. There can be no bdget cap on disasters, because once a declaration is made, funds will be made available to reimburse the jurisdiction (as long as they are following NIMS, or similar document tracking process). What will this town say when they get hit with a tornado, drought, flood? Sorry, but we reached our overtime cap, we cant come rescue you. Two Words. MUTUAL AID. It defers the initial cost of resources over the short term. By the time your MA jurisdictions get around to billing you, your state and federal funds are already being considered.

Potts told the council that their role is primarily to manage the event. “You’re not going to be out there responding to the event, you’re really just representing the discussion making process,” Potts said.

Is he serious? Is he not aware that every year is an election year? These councilpersons will be out there front and center. And what is a discussion-making process?

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The way I read it, he (Brian Potts) is saying that the city needs to have a formal spending cap/limit in place before the County or State can step in with help. Sounds a little strange to me. Does the County/State have a requirement that the local Govt spend its budget before they will help in the event of a "Disaster"??

As for the "Managing the event", I would hope that the City Council/Mayor is at the EOC coordinating/making decisions based on field reports, instead of being "out there" handing out Bandages to the injured.

D

DaveNF2G

How did someone so ignorant come to represent a fire department?

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
gldavis: Doesnt matter if they spend it all or not. Utah is a Home Rule State, and thus the lowest level of govt has the power and authority to declare a local state of emergency, money or not. Declarations are not made based on financial abilities. The only reason the county/state get involved is because a federal disaster declaration can only be requested by FEMA. So once a local declaration is made, the county administrator receives a request from mayor/other elected local official for assistance. If the county can not provide, the county makes the request to the state and so forth.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Thats what I thought. So I'm still trying to figure out why a "Financial Cap" needs to be "officially" in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.