• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hypothetical "G6 Pager"

Would you like to see an all band Unication Pager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit_Factor

Yeah, I'd like to try it. Quick question that I cannot find an answer to: Is it possible to open another TG when another is opened? Example: I'd like for the dispatch TG to be unsquelched if the paging TG is opened, sort of like the old Minitors when they would remain unsquelched after they received a page.
You can set a dispatch TG priority. While tones are going off, it will switch over to the dispatch TG if traffic is detected. But you won't hear what's going on in any other TG.

On the minitors, those were analog, all of the signals were on the same frequency. Opening the squelch also turned off channel guard (tone coded squelch).

I don't think squelch really applies to a TG (digital systems).

belvdr

No longer interested in living
You can set a dispatch TG priority. While tones are going off, it will switch over to the dispatch TG if traffic is detected. But you won't hear what's going on in any other TG.

On the minitors, those were analog, all of the signals were on the same frequency. Opening the squelch also turned off channel guard (tone coded squelch).

I don't think squelch really applies to a TG (digital systems).
Squelch should apply to all RF traffic, regardless of analog or digital. My comparison to the Minitors is based solely on how it worked. I understand priority and non-priority, but am I to assume the Unication pagers can't exclude a TG unless another TG became active? It sounds like a stretch, but I could see this being valuable to first responders, hence my question.

Hit_Factor

Squelch should apply to all RF traffic, regardless of analog or digital....
I understand what you said there, but it behaves different on a digital system and is unnecessary. If squelch is wide open on a digital system you won't hear anything, because there are not any 1s or 0s in the data stream for the decoder to work with. So you hear nothing. Once there is a valid digital signal you hear the voices. To hear any TG on a digital system is usually called promiscuous mode, but you will not hear 2 TGs at the same time in this mode, same as a minitor will not receive two freqs at the same time.

No real value to First responders, A TG is essentially the digital equivalent of one analog freq. Once the pager goes off (Unication, it stays open on the TG if programmed to do so. This mimics how the minitors stayed open so they could hear everything on the analog freq.

I don't know what scanners you have, but you will find that changing the squelch value to open for a digital system won't produce a sound. You might be able to turn up the squelch enough that the digital signal will be ignored by the scanner. If you were in an area where you think that's necessary, you would probably get better results with an attenuator.

We have hijacked this thread enough already. If you want more info I recommend creating a thread about squelch.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Unication doesn't want to pay to license Smartnet, particularly when it is an obsolete technology that is going away relatively soon.

Reactions: hey
Status
Not open for further replies.