HYS dual band base antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
As I previously posted, I ordered this antenna from Amazon and it came today.

I did a quick field test of its ability to receive the NWS transmitter on Cuesta Peak about 100+ miles north of my location. With my FT5DR it was able to receive the station - barely. The same result was obtained using the Yaesu stock antenna. I then attached a Diamond SRH77CA and the received signal strength was about four times as strong. Not quite full quieting, but very readable. Considering that the Diamond is about the same price as the HYS antenna there is no doubt that I will be returning it to Amazon.

Don't waste your money on this.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As I previously posted, I ordered this antenna from Amazon and it came today.

I did a quick field test of its ability to receive the NWS transmitter on Cuesta Peak about 100+ miles north of my location. With my FT5DR it was able to receive the station - barely. The same result was obtained using the Yaesu stock antenna. I then attached a Diamond SRH77CA and the received signal strength was about four times as strong. Not quite full quieting, but very readable. Considering that the Diamond is about the same price as the HYS antenna there is no doubt that I will be returning it to Amazon.

Don't waste your money on this.
Accepted, your findings. But the Diamond is the longer antenna? It tends to get in the way. However, it is definitely my go-to antenna when stationary.
My comparison was with the new Remtronix which I believe will be the better all-around aftermarket antenna in the future. The Remtronix and the HYS Dual Band base antenna (which I refer to as the HYS Loop antenna) played about the same. I would be interested in a comparison between the new Remtronix and the Diamond on the NWS station at 100 miles out.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I think one may be better served with your description of how it could be used as a magnifying glass with a lens put into it. As I got older that became a reality for that tiny ass faded screen print text on things.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I think one may be better served with your description of how it could be used as a magnifying glass with a lens put into it. As I got older that became a reality for that tiny ass faded screen print text on things.
Agreed! They should have fitted it with a magnifying lens! Not only could we see better, we could fry ants on the driveway again!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Accepted, your findings. But the Diamond is the longer antenna? It tends to get in the way. However, it is definitely my go-to antenna when stationary.
My comparison was with the new Remtronix which I believe will be the better all-around aftermarket antenna in the future. The Remtronix and the HYS Dual Band base antenna (which I refer to as the HYS Loop antenna) played about the same. I would be interested in a comparison between the new Remtronix and the Diamond on the NWS station at 100 miles out.
I'm not likely to try the Remtronics antenna - at least not right now.

Handheld antennas are always a compromise. Yes the SRH77CA is big, but I prefer the extra range every time. If you want cumbersome check out the Diamond SRH770S. At 27.5in. it is definitely cumbersome. Excellent performance. However, the tail wags the dog.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I'm not likely to try the Remtronics antenna - at least not right now.

Handheld antennas are always a compromise. Yes the SRH77CA is big, but I prefer the extra range every time. If you want cumbersome check out the Diamond SRH770S. At 27.5in. it is definitely cumbersome. Excellent performance. However, the tail wags the dog.
Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.