• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera /Anytone dmr compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomboy

Hi myself and our shooting buddies all used to use Hyteras in the field/woods on low power simplex mode mainly so we didn't shoot each other. Most of us have pd785 as they are lovely radios easy to prog and use. However due to the extortionate price we are gradually ditching them for Anytone. 868 or 878 they are beautiful and cheap. Problem is they just will not open the hytera on dmr. Anytone to Anytone no problems and hytera to Anytone no problems but the pd785 will not open. There is no encryption used either side and all freq, cc, ts, all matching. I understand the Hytera is a commercial radio and having said that the Anytone has commercial mode on the cps but all it does is disable the keypad for programming. The 785 will not open but green led is on so its picking up the signal but one of the parameters is wrong almost like a mismatched colour code. The really annoying thing is a cheap Baofeng dm1702 opens the Hytera easily. What has the Baofeng got that the Anytone hasn't? It's almost like the Anytone has a built in ctcss tone that works on digital mode. Either way the Hytera wont decode it. As much as I love my pd785 it may be time to let it go. I know ham operators that use pd785 for dmr and it seems compatible with other brands incl mototrbo and Anytone. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing a blindingly obvious setting ? Cheers

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You're missing something.

They are all compatible with each other. I have a nice mix of PD785 (and other Hyteras), Mototrbo, and a few personal 878s.

Does the talkgroup match? Do you have the Anytone in Simplex mode?

dazey77

Yup, should all be compatible. Hyteras might not understand TDMA modes if they are v9 firmware. I haven’t managed to get sms to work between hytera and anytone, or any gps functionality between the two. Not had any issues with voice though

KE5MC

Sometimes radios will not hear other radios with the same DMR# as in them. Seems to be very radio manufacture dependent.

icomboy

They are all compatible with each other. I have a nice mix of PD785 (and other Hyteras), Mototrbo, and a few personal 878s.

Hi thanks for replying. I have the pd785 in default mode with 3 analogue and 3 digital chs and manually prog via keypad. You can enter freq cc and slot for rx and tx in repeater mode. I used to use it as a dmr scanner to listen to local businesses and shopwatch etc. I also used to inhibit the tx in case of accidentally txing. I've tried it in simplex too but it doesn't like the Anytone. I'm sure the missing setting is on the Anytone side as the pd785 picks up everything else including the crappy Baofeng. I did ask the same question to the retailer where I got the Anytone from and they were a tad blunt and said course it doesn't work what did you expect. You are trying to open a business radio with a ham radio (Anytone) so of course it doesn't work. People pay a business license to stop people like you talking on their channels. I think he's kind of missed the point there. However he did say there are sub audio tones in use to stop that happening. Maybe there is on dmr but I don't know if they are in the Anytone tx or the pd785 rx settings. The hytera wont open on anyone elses Anytone tx either. Lastly ive set the pd785 ts to 1,2 and pseudo (auto) and it makes no difference. All the parameters match but it sits there deaf as a post. It's an expensive ornament so I may just get rid and stick to Anytone as this is most excellent also as a scanner and has the benefit of vhf and uhf.

icomboy

Yup, should all be compatible. Hyteras might not understand TDMA modes if they are v9 firmware. I haven’t managed to get sms to work between hytera and anytone, or any gps functionality between the two. Not had any issues with voice though
Hi please read my above reply to another member it explains a little more cheers

icomboy

Sometimes radios will not hear other radios with the same DMR# as in them. Seems to be very radio manufacture dependent.
Thanks for replying its a weird problem please see above reply for more details.

icomboy

The default talk group on the pd785 is group1 it works with anything except the Anytone and the Anytone tg is contact1 I think thats the default there too. I'm not an amateur radio operator it's purely for private/commercial use. And I've tried simplex and repeater modes. It's a weird one I must admit. I know I'm sounding like a noob but on the Anytone you can edit the talk group from the keypad is it because the hytera is group 1 and the Anytone contact 1 ? As I said it works with a Baofeng dm1702 but I don't know what the tg is on that I borrowed it and gave it back however it worked lovely.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
No, that's just a difference in wording. Group1/contact1 is still talkgroup 1.

So are you doing all your programming via the keypad? If so it's super easy to miss something somewhere.

icomboy

No, that's just a difference in wording. Group1/contact1 is still talkgroup 1.

So are you doing all your programming via the keypad? If so it's super easy to miss something somewhere.
Yes most of it via keypad as it's fine for local coms between us but ive been over the cps with a fine tooth comb and I can't find anything. There are a lot of settings on the Anytone that aren't in the manual for instance what is channel measure ? Also tbst no idea what that is but its a tone of some sort and dtmf speed ? I thought dtmf tones were on telephone keypads. And channel ranging ? No idea what that is either lol. Any of these things could be the culprit. I find it strange that the shop said it wont work with a hytera. Wondering what they know that I dont. I'll keep at it cheers guys

KE5MC

I'm on the wrong computer to grab a screen shot or two, but will try without. Speaking from the Anytone perspective for the following and memory, which is always risky. Contact1 is a name holder and changed to jog the memory as needed. I have mine named as Simplex and assigned to Talk Group 99, group and not private. Programmed channels would be assigned under a Zone named like SimplexTalk. Each channel in the zone would be a different name like VHF1 or UHF1 as their are more than one frequency commonly agreed as simplex operation. Each memory channel would have the correct frequency, using Color Code 1, Time Slot 1 and Simplex which would be translated to Talk Group 99. 1,1 and 99 are the agreed default we use for ham operation as the frequencies are too. Using the CPS different layers of information have to be setup before you get to programing memory channels. Talk group setup and then zone setup to be selected as you complete the memory channel programing. The preceding is only a "Cliff Notes" of DMR radio programming. Maybe something to get your pointed in the correct direction.
Good Luck,
Mike
P.S. There is some back and forth to be done as you create a named zone. Then create a memory channel and go back to link that memory channel to the zone. Easy to create a memory channel and not link it to a zone. If not linked to a zone it is an orphan in your list of channels and can't be accessed.

icomboy

I'm on the wrong computer to grab a screen shot or two, but will try without. Speaking from the Anytone perspective for the following and memory, which is always risky. Contact1 is a name holder and changed to jog the memory as needed. I have mine named as Simplex and assigned to Talk Group 99, group and not private. Programmed channels would be assigned under a Zone named like SimplexTalk. Each channel in the zone would be a different name like VHF1 or UHF1 as their are more than one frequency commonly agreed as simplex operation. Each memory channel would have the correct frequency, using Color Code 1, Time Slot 1 and Simplex which would be translated to Talk Group 99. 1,1 and 99 are the agreed default we use for ham operation as the frequencies are too. Using the CPS different layers of information have to be setup before you get to programing memory channels. Talk group setup and then zone setup to be selected as you complete the memory channel programing. The preceding is only a "Cliff Notes" of DMR radio programming. Maybe something to get your pointed in the correct direction.
Good Luck,
Mike
Thanks Mike I've taken all that on board. There is one way of testing it but I'm reluctant to do it because I don't have a license. When I first got the pd785 a few years back I used it for listening only. I got my local amateur dmr repeater details from rsgb and set the repeater freq in the hytera rx and left something random in the tx. I could hear worldwide callers and locals having conversations. Ive got 2 anytones one from Moonraker and another from a different retailer. Moonraker have their massive UK file which I could load in as I'm sure you've seen it as it covers virtually every uk dmr group. If I tx briefly I would technically see it on my hytera local dmr repeater. This would tell me yes or no if its the 785 rx or Anytone tx that has the wrong settings. The hytera would wake up if it was right. But I don't want to do this for obvious reasons and not having a dmr number the repeater gateway would log me as a hostile intruder lol. Ive even tried the radios next to each other on lots of frequencies but with a dummy load on the Anytone. Its near enough to pick up the signal but I won't be illegally broadcasting anywhere I shouldn't. It's food for thought. Cheers

icomboy

Do the group names (group1, contact 1) referr to the same talk group ID number (xxxxxxx)?
Bill
I think they do because they work brand to brand with other radios. See Mike's reply he can explain that much clearer than I can. I am not a licensed ham so I dont use mine for that purpose.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That label is just an alias. Group1 or contact1 could actually be talkgroup 7002 or anything else for that matter.

I have an Anytone and Hytera as well, I haven't had any issues with them. I don't have the CPS in front of me to check the proper wording but if you are using simplex make sure the Hytera isn't using dual capacity direct mode (two time slots without a repeater). That would mess things up and I can't recall if the Anytone supports that or not.

icomboy

Hi thanks for the input. I have tried lots of settings re the time slots etc as the hytera has pseudo mode which is like auto it jumps between slots to monitor 2 slots at the same time but I have manually set it to ts1 and matched with the Anytones and it still doesn't open. Simplex and repeater mode. I'll try a few more settings over the weekend. I'm sure its something silly because the hytera hears everything else except the 868 and 878. It opened first time with a cheap Baofeng. The Anytones receive the hytera perfectly regardless of promiscuous mode but the other way round it doesn't like it. Best regards

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I did ask the same question to the retailer where I got the Anytone from and they were a tad blunt and said course it doesn't work what did you expect. You are trying to open a business radio with a ham radio (Anytone) so of course it doesn't work. People pay a business license to stop people like you talking on their channels. I think he's kind of missed the point there. However he did say there are sub audio tones in use to stop that happening. Maybe there is on dmr but I don't know if they are in the Anytone tx or the pd785 rx settings.

That dealer is an idiot. The Anytone is Part 90 certified as a business band radio.

In any event. There's definitely something weird at play here. It really should just work. Are you sure the TX and RX frequencies are the same on the Anytone, and you aren't using some sort of repeater offset or anything? Make sure the frequency matches, color code, time slot, and talkgroup and it should just work.

icomboy

That's the weird thing everything matches I've tried simplex and repeater mode and everything is the same freq cc time slot but the hytera just sits there with the green led lit. You know the signal is there but the squelch wont open. Its fine in analogue but the screen doesn't light in digital. The Baofeng dm1702 opens it so I'm thinking I'm missing something on the Anytones tx side. My mate is a security guard and he uses hytera at work with a repeater. When he's on nights I can talk to him from my house its about 9 miles away via my hytera but if I use the Anytone he can't hear me. He got an Anytone to try it and I can talk to his Anytone from mine but we cant communicate cross brand. His repeater wont open with my Anytone to his hytera. I can talk to him on our anytones via his work repeater and his colleagues cant hear us not even the dispatch operator can hear us how weird is that.

icomboy

No all encryption is off both ends. I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. It's going to be something silly and obvious as the Baofeng opens the hytera and the Anytone talks with all other brands

Status
Not open for further replies.