• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera CPS Modification UHF-H to UHF-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I have a 782G mobile in the UHF High Split band. I am looking to see if there is a way to edit CPS to allow Low Split programming. I assume it is a simple hex edit but haven't played to much with Hytera. That being said, I am also looking to see if anyone has created a programming cable utilizing the DB26 port.

romanr

1. I have built a cable to program MD782(G) mobiles using the DB26 port and I have had no problems programming these radios. A quick Google search yields this: Build your own Hytera cable – PH4X

2. Software defined radios have created the mentality that any radio circuit can be made to work on any frequency by simply changing software.
The current state of the art using real world designs that can be manufactured profitably is a bit more limited.

Filters, oscillators, and other blocks in a commercial quality transceiver that has to meet FCC Part 90 (or similar performance standards) at reasonable costs, will all have limitations on the frequency range in which they will meet those performance standards.

While it is sometimes possible to hack the configuration code to force the radio to operate outside of the range for which the circuitry was designed, you should expect a degradation in performance (reduced receiver sensitivity, reduced transmit output power, increased levels of spurious emissions, increased sensitivity to interference, reduced frequency stability, to name a few...)

I understand what you are trying to do and why. For ham operations, it might be possible and the performance may be acceptable - especially since you probably aren't going too far down below the limit of the UHF High Split. I'm not trying to rain on your parade - just hoping to adjust your expectations. A quick google search came up with this:

MODERATORS: If the links included violate policy, please delete and accept my apologies.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As romanr posted, it's actually really easy to do. No hex editing involved, just edit plain text files.

However, keep in mind that unlike Motorola radios, the Hytera is not going to go that far out of band. If you think you're going to go from one bandsplit to another, it's not going to happen. On my 782Gs, the PLL will not lock over about 5 or 6 MHz out of band, and you get an error and that annoying continuous beep. I'm guessing you're going to try to get a high split model into the ham bands.

I would try it. You may have different results.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
As romanr posted, it's actually really easy to do. No hex editing involved, just edit plain text files.

However, keep in mind that unlike Motorola radios, the Hytera is not going to go that far out of band. If you think you're going to go from one bandsplit to another, it's not going to happen. On my 782Gs, the PLL will not lock over about 5 or 6 MHz out of band, and you get an error and that annoying continuous beep. I'm guessing you're going to try to get a high split model into the ham bands.

I would try it. You may have different results.

I was able to make a programming cable and update firmware successfully.Yes looking to get it down into the ham bands. What files am I editing? Thank you.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I was able to make a programming cable and update firmware successfully.Yes looking to get it down into the ham bands. What files am I editing? Thank you.

Honestly, that's something you're probably going to have to search for, for the exact details. It has literally been years since I've done it, and I don't remember all the details. If I recall, it's simply a matter of editing the model.dat inside the .zip files (in the Hytera CPS directory). I believe you find your model number in the model.dat files and simply edit the frequencies. So for example, if yours is 450 MHz to 480 MHz or such, there should be a 450 (or many of them) in plain text in that file. Simply change it to whatever you like, i.e. 420.

Hopefully someone else with more recent knowledge will be able to help with that. Also, I don't know if it works with the newer firmware. I'm still on 7 with all my Hytera gear.

Actually, looking through some of my files here, that's exactly what I did. So my model had the following bandsplit in the model.dat: Freq2=400,470,400,470,17 I modified it to show: Freq2=400,527,400,527,17 Like I said, it won't cover anywhere close to that, but I just needed a little bit.

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, that's something you're probably going to have to search for, for the exact details. It has literally been years since I've done it, and I don't remember all the details. If I recall, it's simply a matter of editing the model.dat inside the .zip files (in the Hytera CPS directory). I believe you find your model number in the model.dat files and simply edit the frequencies. So for example, if yours is 450 MHz to 480 MHz or such, there should be a 450 (or many of them) in plain text in that file. Simply change it to whatever you like, i.e. 420.

Hopefully someone else with more recent knowledge will be able to help with that. Also, I don't know if it works with the newer firmware. I'm still on 7 with all my Hytera gear.

Actually, looking through some of my files here, that's exactly what I did. So my model had the following bandsplit in the model.dat: Freq2=400,470,400,470,17 I modified it to show: Freq2=400,527,400,527,17 Like I said, it won't cover anywhere close to that, but I just needed a little bit.
I appreciate it, I will do some searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.