• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera has the Brits concerned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
And well they should be concerned. I would not trust a Chinese made communications product any further than I could throw it if it were strapped to a one ton boulder. I expect them ALL to have carefully planned "defective" security protocols, allowing them to deliver your sensitive data to Mother China.

Raccon

And well they should be concerned. I would not trust a Chinese made communications product any further than I could throw it if it were strapped to a one ton boulder. I expect them ALL to have carefully planned "defective" security protocols, allowing them to deliver your sensitive data to Mother China.
Damnd right, man. After all, each DMR radio made in China can transmit as far as Beijing from anywhere in the world.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's good to be concerned, however there are so many ways to hack into technology now, that plugging this hole leaves a thousand others.
Same thing happened a while back with the Huawei cell phones, servers, network equipment, etc.

Just think of all the people that download crap off the internet, Russian "free" radio software sites, firmware, etc.

toastycookies

What do you use to connect to the Internet and for cell phone?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Did it ever occur to you that there might be people listening to your Chinese DMR radios from listening stations within your coverage range? Or, if it's a trunked system, if it has an internet connection, how can you be absolutely sure it's not sending data to IP addresses not listed anywhere in the radio's control software?

I'm not usually paranoid but I'm always cautious. I think there's something very, very wrong with anyone who would buy Chicom garbage radios in any event. Every dollar you spend on them goes to upgrading the Chinese military and why would you want to do a stupid thing like that?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Did it ever occur to you that there might be people listening to your Chinese DMR radios from listening stations within your coverage range? Or, if it's a trunked system, if it has an internet connection, how can you be absolutely sure it's not sending data to IP addresses not listed anywhere in the radio's control software?/QUOTE]

A few years back we were turning up a new PBX at work. We were running a test environment ahead of the primary system, and one of my guys had it on public IP space. Even though it was protected by passwords, etc. We could see IP addresses from all over the world trying to connect to it.
Needless to say, all our PBX and radio gear is buried in private IP address spaces, behind firewalls and ACL's in the routers.
If it's on the internet, someone is going to find it and do their best to try and hack it. An IP connected radio system will have the same risks.

As for there being something streamed out of the system back to China, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Raccon

Did it ever occur to you that there might be people listening to your Chinese DMR radios from listening stations within your coverage range?
And why would they need some "planned "defective" security protocols" for that?

Or, if it's a trunked system, if it has an internet connection, how can you be absolutely sure it's not sending data to IP addresses not listed anywhere in the radio's control software?
Because of Wireshark and such tools. I am sure there are some very smart people around that would have noticed by now if they called home.

I'm not usually paranoid but I'm always cautious. I think there's something very, very wrong with anyone who would buy Chicom garbage radios in any event. Every dollar you spend on them goes to upgrading the Chinese military and why would you want to do a stupid thing like that?
I am sure there are people that would say the same thing about American communication products.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just think of all the people that download crap off the internet, Russian "free" radio software sites, firmware, etc.
Lets remember which Country operate spy station around the Globe, tape the most glas fibre cable in the ocean, have huge Sat with Antennas...? and operate many 3 Letter Agency's?
latest

In Vienna next to the UNO City a 3LTR Agency have there Spy Place on Top of the "IZD Tower".

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
A very good point. The Chinese didn't think this stuff up on their own. No doubt the USA has been doing it since the start.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the US has been engaged in "Aggressive forward thinking" enough to have actually done that. It's frankly too advanced a concept for American lawmakers to have come up with it or to have seen a need for it. No doubt some smart people have come up with that idea but it wouldn't become a real program without government funding, which I tend to doubt it would get.

Remember, the US is a country that does stupid things like allow other countries to impose tariffs on American imported goods, but doesn't impose like-for-like tariffs on goods coming to America from that country. Which is economically stupid.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'd be more concerned about companies like Huawei who have stolen trade secrets from not just Motorola, Nokia, Siemens and Ericsson, but have done so with full financing by the Chinese government. Their equipment is in use by all the US cellular carriers.

That concerns me. And it should you too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
To be perfectly honest, I don't think the US has been engaged in "Aggressive forward thinking" enough to have actually done that. It's frankly too advanced a concept for American lawmakers to have come up with it or to have seen a need for it. No doubt some smart people have come up with that idea but it wouldn't become a real program without government funding, which I tend to doubt it would get.

Remember, the US is a country that does stupid things like allow other countries to impose tariffs on American imported goods, but doesn't impose like-for-like tariffs on goods coming to America from that country. Which is economically stupid.

I wouldn't fool myself into thinking lawmakers would be intelligent enough for this, either. But, we know it's probably been done, not only by the government, but by US based technology companies. All without lawmaker involvement.
The attitude seems to be "It's only illegal if you get caught".

N4KVE

Sadly, some people confuse Hytera with all the Chinese "Johnny come lately" Dollar Store garbage DMR radios that have washed up on our shores the last year or 2. Absolutely no comparison.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
To me it's all the same. If it's Chinese made I don't buy it, except when I have no choice, and if it's a data device, I don't trust it to be secure. My iphone is Chinese made, and although it's certainly a high quality product, I find that for security I have to put my trust in Apple. Which is a terrifying thought. I don't know which I trust less with my data security: China or Apple. So I never do anything with that phone that anybody would ever care about.

If someone really wants to listen in in me ordering a pizza, they can do that.

lmrtek

Unfortunately when given a choice between high quality safe and secure USA made products and cheap Chinese throw always at lower prices, the lemmings give their money to China every time

That is why Walmart and the dollar stores are doing a booming business

The fact that their kids are Being exposed to lead paint and long banned deadly chemicals as a result doesn't derail their cheapskate mentality

Even after tens of thousands of pets were Poisoned by Chinese pet food, they STILL buy the same products because they are cheaper

So why would we expect the lemmings to be any different when It comes to two way radios?

Most are totally clueless that what they are buying doesn't even perform as well as many blister pack radios from the local toy store and couldn't understand radio specs if they had a lifetime to figure it out

N4KVE

Unfortunately when given a choice between high quality safe and secure USA made products and cheap Chinese throw always at lower prices, the lemmings give their money to China every time
And where were the Sepura radios made before the Hytera purchase? How many American branded 2-way radios are designed in the USA, but built in countries where people eat rice 3 times a day?

Status
Not open for further replies.