• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera MD-782

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am starting to casually look for a commercial land mobile DMR UHF radio that can be FPP.

I want it to be the low split from 406-470 MHz. (GMRS and amateur.)

I would like it to be capable of both narrow-band and wide-band channels.

I have looked at the Motorola XPR 5550 series, but it looks like there are some shortcomings with the FPP feature.

Kenwood has the NX-3000 and NX-5000 line, but it looks like the FPP option will work on narrow-band, but not wide-band channels.

I just found out about the Hytera MD-782, so here I am.

Is the Hytera MD-782 still capable of FPP under the most current firmware?

Can both narrow-band and wide-band analog channels be programmed, either with software or FPP?

With regards to scanning channels, is it limited to 16 channels that can be scanned?

dazey77

While I do have a md785, I have never used fpp on it unlike my handhelds. I suspect you will need a speaker mic with a full keypad to use fpp (from my experiences with the handhelds). These do exist, but I don’t have one!

if you can find the cps, will answer some of your questions. The fpp does have limits. If I remember right, you need some pre-programmed ‘scratch’ channels that you can re-programme. Some elements you can change, not others. Think you need some analogue channels and digital ones to change. Not sure, but perhaps the same trick will work for WB/NB, sure it’s not possible to change bandwidth in FPP.

dazey77

Example, a hp685 on analogue will allow in fpp chan: frequency (send and receive), ctcss/dcs Tx and R, channel name
digital:radio id, Frequencies, slot, colour code, TX ID, receive group, channel name

dazey77

US regional difference for those with spelling challenges ;) Probably didn't want to confuse you lot with colour codes ;)
Possibly also a difference between PDs and HPs. Don't have an X1P any more but still have a PD985, can check what that does. . .

rpurchases10

| MEMBER |
Premium Subscriber
I was traditionally a /\/\otorola fan, and even started our Family/Friend group with XPR7550e and XPR5550 DMR/Analog radios.
THEN... I got my hands on a Hytera portable! No Looking Back!! Though, *IF* the Anytone 878UVii Plus was built like a Motorola or Hytera (Hytera is SOLID - possibly more than the XPR7550e IMHO) and wasn't so glitchy, it actually permits you to do even more than they Hytera from the keypad)

That was back in the v4 or v5 days, where only limited parameters could be "FPP" programmed directly on the radio without CPS. With v8 and on, that all changed !!

As long as the options are all enabled in the radio codeplug (ALL are included with every radio, but you CAN RESTRICT much of this for "tinkering users"), the following can be CHANGED from the radio keypad. (Note: The channel MUST EXIST before it can be edited. During programming of every radio, I have the habit of adding a zone of 16 "FPP-Analog" channels and an additional zone of 16 "FPP-Digital" channels. I have a very simple template created for these channels, to avoid extra typing.

Here is just some of what you can modify on an ANALOG Channel:
Tx Freq
Rx Freq
Rx only y/n?
Spacing (12.5 / 20 / 25 KHz) +(the "Super License" to remove "Narrowband Only" restrictions radio-wide is readily available)
Rx PL/DPL or CSQ
TX PL/DPL
MDC System (decode and optional encode - done per "system")
Scan List (drop down selection)
Talkaround selectable (permits the user to enter "talkaround/direct" mode for this channel
MDC emergency ID decode
+ a bunch of other options I can't recall
-------------------------------------------------
Options for DIGITAL Channels:
Tx Freq
Rx Freq
Color Code (0-15)
Slot (1/2/Pseudo-Trunking) PS is a true GAME CHANGER btw! Read up on it...
Receive Group(s)
Default Contact when Transmitting (this is the TG that's called upon Tx- you can also manually enter a user or group ID)
Scan List(s)
Emergency ID Decode
Emergency Ack
and a bunch more..

There's also a Radio ID and Alias entry screen for each channel. (I am not sure if it's radio-wide or per-channel..?)

Check this for directions: Hytera Digital Channel FPP

I spent time trying to come up with a logical upgrade path for our Family/Friend group Hytera radios.
For our needs, the following brings us up to fairly current versions and we do not lose any functions they were forced to remove with the v0 and up versions...

Firmware Version (for Portables / Mobiles) = v.A9.02.04.001
Using CPS Version = v.V9.02.12.000 iM NA2

I haven't researched the "best" FW version to use for our repeaters yet, mostly because everything is still functioning ok and I lost most of my FW/CPS versions for the European models we have.

Firmware Version (for Repeaters RD-985-U1 -- we have European EM5 Models) = A8.05.07.001

Good Luck!

w6vny

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, the HP782 will allow FPP for existing channels. Can't add new. A workaround would be to create a few analog channels that you can reprogram at a later time.
For your use case, you may want to look at an Anytone. FPP and can be configured for 70cm/440,GMRS/FRS/MARS