• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera PD362Uc programming adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ergbert

So, I picked up a 1st generation PD362 from the world's flea market, and I've been messing about with it. Solid little radio, excellent performance which I was a bit puzzled by given the very small molded-in antenna. Anyway, I wanted to share my experience building a programming cable since I didn't want to wait and order the required PC69 cable, as well as successfully updating firmware and programming it on a Mac (by way of Virtualbox and a Windows 8 VM).

1. The Cable. The radio came to me with a plain old micro USB cable, which worked to charge it but obviously didn't to program it. A quick search turned up dire warnings about using the wrong cable, and rumors of some "ID chip" in the cable which verified it as genuine. Both patently false, as the cable is a very simple USB to serial arrangement and can be made in minutes. Following is the pin-out for the micro USB connector, discovered at This Link
Code:
Red Wire   --- +5V
Black Wire --- GND (Ground)
Green D+   --- RXD (Receive Data)
White D-   --- TXD (Transmit Data)
This link recommended a Prolific USB to RS232 module, which I have never had good luck with. I had an FTDI one laying around from another programming cable adventure (Tait TM8105, but that's another post sometime). This one had a switch to toggle between 3.3v and 5v, which I set to 5v. Connected the wires as diagrammed, and moved on to software.

2. The Computer. Couldn't be more straightforward... Early 2011 Macbook Pro, MacOS High Sierra, running current Virtualbox with essentially default settings and a fresh vanilla Windows 8.1 VM. Installed FTDI drivers, CPS 2.05.05.002NA2, and UpgradeKit 1.06.02.001, and away we went. Read the radio, firmware upgraded without a hitch, proceeded to build a basic codeplug and upload it as well. Read it on my Windows radio-programming machine just to make sure it took, again with no issues at all.

I'm still trying to get my head around the whole amateur DMR/hotspot thing, which seems to randomly clip RX audio with this handset, but on the commercial side (I use this radio for some Part90 frequencies at work) it works flawlessly in a mostly-Batwings DMR/Analog mixed environment.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I got one of these the year they were introduced. Not the greatest for ham use, but a solid radio for local or hotspot use.

Status
Not open for further replies.