• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera Portable PD782 Has No Speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Where is the speaker on this radio? I don't seem to see it on all the online product photos. How can this radio work with no speaker? And why is the antenna in the middle? That looks really weird and the radio looks like its flipping you the bird.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
The speaker is right above the 123 on the keypad.

Hytera was granted a patent for the antenna in the middle of the radio. Our users claim they get improved coverage from that design, it makes sense due to the more effective ground plane. One cop said he can hit dispatch with his Hytera portable from his living room couch but not from his mobile radio in his driveway.

CanesFan95

Well, then that is an AWFULLY small speaker. How can that even work? The audio on this radio must be lousy with such a small speaker.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Hytera

I ave three Hytera handhelds, and I can vouch for the quality of sound output as well as overall performance. They are a professional class radio and offer a good value with their features. The best feature is the availability of the programming software. It costs much less than Motorola software and is free from some dealers when you buy the radio. They are more popular in many foreign countries.

MSS-Dave

Well, then that is an AWFULLY small speaker. How can that even work? The audio on this radio must be lousy with such a small speaker.
How big of a speaker do you desire on a radio you would probably want to fit in your hand?

Recovered audio on my 782 on both DMR and analog is superb provided the transmitting station isn't all jacked up or down on their audio.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RayAir

My PD782 has louder and more pleasant sounding received voice than my XPR 7550.

The XPR 7550 only wins on rx sensitivity and Bluetooth built in.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
+1 from me... the speaker grill opening is small, yes... but it's still the same size speaker behind there that would be found in most handhelds. I also like the form factor of the knobs on each size... easier to operate with structural firefighting gloves on.

Rred

Cell phone technology, probably. Listen to an HTC smartphone with two tiny speakers, they outperform many computers with much larger ones. Smaller speaker consumes less space, allows for a smaller radio, reduces the costs of overseas shipping and inventory space in the warehouse, probably shaves five or ten bucks off the retail price of the radio.

And "communications quality" audio is way less than even "cheap stereo", so even less demanding on a speaker.

n1das

+1 from me... the speaker grill opening is small, yes... but it's still the same size speaker behind there that would be found in most handhelds. I also like the form factor of the knobs on each size... easier to operate with structural firefighting gloves on.

+1 from me too. Take a close look at the keypad and the speaker grille area. It has the same size speaker as in other handhelds that have lots of audio output. The speaker is actually mounted under the keypad and audio comes out thru the grille openings in and around the keypad. My PD782G handhelds are LOUD and clear when I crank the volume up.

After owning many handhelds over the years with the antenna at the left or right corner, I found it didn't take long to get used to the antenna being in the middle. I find I very quickly forget about the antenna being in the middle because the volume and channel knobs are moved out to the corners where they are way easier to get to.

I love how Hytera did it because it makes sooooooo much sense. :)

Last edited:

n1das

From playing with a new PD982 handheld, the speaker grille area is rectangular shaped and entirely above 123 on the keypad. The speaker inside a PD782G and a PD982 is almost as large in diameter as the radio is wide and is located behind the grille area and under the keypad. Just because the grille area appears small doesn't mean the speaker inside is also as small. The small grille area doesn't appear to restrict audio output. Hytera has the acoustic part of the enclosure figured out, which probably comes from the radio being sealed up so that it's waterproof and submersible (1m depth for 30 minutes).

I have an X1p Digital Covert Radio UHF handheld and the speaker is the same size as what's in a PD782G and a PD982. What's different about the X1p is that the speaker fires out the back side of the radio above the battery pack. The X1p also has a speaker grille area along the top side and just behind the antenna and knobs. This helps direct speaker audio straight upward so it can be easily heard while inside a shirt or coat pocket. The X1p also has the PTT button on the right side of the radio instead of on the left side as usual which takes some getting used to. The X1p can be programmed to use its front or rear microphone so you can set it up however you like it. I love how the X1p directs the speaker audio straight upward when I have it in my shirt pocket.

n1das

From playing with a new PD982 handheld, the speaker grille area is rectangular shaped and entirely above 123 on the keypad. The speaker inside a PD782G and a PD982 is almost as large in diameter as the radio is wide and is located behind the grille area and under the keypad. Just because the grille area appears small doesn't mean the speaker inside is also as small. The small grille area doesn't appear to restrict audio output. Hytera has the acoustic part of the enclosure figured out, which probably comes from the radio being sealed up so that it's waterproof and submersible (1m depth for 30 minutes).

The speaker in the new PD982 is directly under the grille area above 123 on the keypad. The speaker is under the row of Green/Down/Red buttons, speaker grille area, and 123 row on the keypad.

From playing with a pair of PD982-Ux handhelds and doing some quick testing on an analog channel, I can say the receive audio definitely is LOUD(!) when you crank the volume up. I've done the same testing before on a PD782G and IMHO the 982 actually sounds better than the 782 sounds at max volume. Both have plenty of audio output but the PD982 audio appears to be shaped better. The PD782G has great receive audio and based on first impressions of the PD982 audio, the PD982 blows the PD782G audio away. I haven't tried digital operation yet on the 982 and that's the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.