• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I’m new to CB and have a few questions.

285M

KC1SSG
Well where to start I’ve built a few antennas and not having much luck making contacts. I’m currently running a homemade 1/2 wave dipole and it’s horizontal on a 18 ft mast. I’ve got it tuned for a 1-1 SWR on 27.285-27.405 MHz. I am receiving transmissions from the UK as well as all over the country. I’m having trouble making any contacts. I’m running a uniden 980 stock. A extreme 2018 power mic. Running radio mic gain at 2 and got the mic turned up just below the modulation clipping point. Got a guy in FL today but he could barely hear me. So I guess my first question is about antennas. Can I trust the 980s SWR meter or do I need to get an antenna analyzer? Is building a 4 or 6 element quad a waste of money if I can’t afford a 100ft tower to get it above the terrain? Is it possible to add a bandwidth adjustment to this 980? I’d like to be able to narrow the bandwidth to tune out more noise. I’m afraid my location may be the issue as I have had better luck with my mobile rig even with a 3ft top load antenna when I’m out of this bowl I live in. Well I know this is way to much for one question but I’m not sure what to do next. I don’t want to spend the money on a quad build including a tower, rotator, ect if it’s not going to help. I appreciate any help to point me in the right direction. I enjoy building antennas and experimenting but my budget is limited.

285M

KC1SSG
I’ll try this, should the dipole be a 1/2 wave above the ground to the closest end or the center (it’s a direct center feed) when vertically mounted?

prcguy

I’ll try this, should the dipole be a 1/2 wave above the ground to the closest end or the center (it’s a direct center feed) when vertically mounted?
1/2 wave up at the feedpoint (about 18ft) or multiples of 1/2 wave will be optimal for DX and the higher you get will work better for local ground wave. You get the same benefit for both a horizontal or vertical pol dipole.

KANE4109

Also, when you flip it vertical.... try to keep the feed line 90 degrees with respect to the center of the dipole....for as close as you can get to a quarter wave... when you connect it to the mast.

The problem is that when you flip it vertical ... one of your 2 radiators goes straight down. If you just let the coax hang it can hang right along side that lower element and the RF will couple to it.

I hope that I am describing this well.... I am trying to suggest a bit of an "arm" sticking out from the mast.. to the dipole...and make sure your coax comes in on that arm before heading it down towards the ground.

285M

KC1SSG
Well I had poor luck with the dipole mounted vertically so far, but as Kane pointed out I had the coax run down the lower element! I’ll try changing this and let you know if it’s any better.

How far should the coax extend beyond the elements before running parallel to the lower one heading down?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Well I had poor luck with the dipole mounted vertically so far, but as Kane pointed out I had the coax run down the lower element! I’ll try changing this and let you know if it’s any better.

How far should the coax extend beyond the elements before running parallel to the lower one heading down?
At least a couple feet, but more is better. Practicality will be your limiting factor. Or get a different antenna, like a whip with a couterpoise/ground plane.

Are you trying for DX? If so, be sure you are using SSB, and the appropriate channels.

285M

KC1SSG
Thanks. I’ve decided a beam is the only way to go here an omnidirectional antenna is just picking up overlapping transmissions and transmitting like a sprinkler from/in all directions and driving me crazy. Going to build a Yagi soon a big quad is just not practical for my current situation at least not yet.

Yes DX is what I’m most interested in and I’m tuned for around 27.385. I’m lower sideband most of the time.

KC3SNR

KC3SNR
For years I used a Maco V. 5/8 wave ground plane antenna.
Say what you want about dipole and ground plane for DX but I spoke all over the world with that antenna.. and a few others but has to be my all time favorite antenna for tower / base operating DX.
But honestly the I's have it. a set of beams is the way to go. If you can afford it Beams where the crown for DX.

KC3SNR

KC3SNR
A little Maco y-quad is a fun little antenna
Have a long time friend who has Moonraker 4's just lying in the back yard. I cringe every time I go over there.
Has a set of 6's and enough parts to go around one more time on both sets. I've been trying for some time with no luck but maybe one day.
only thing with Moonrakers is you need the real estate.