I’ve successfully programmed a no affiliate scan on AWN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Just wanted to share with everyone I succeeded in programming a NAS using Motorola CPS on a XTS2500.
It’s ill advised and my Uniden scanner kicks ass but I love a good challenge when it comes to radios (as hopefully most do here since it’s a radio forum)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Good for making a short term thing. AWIN is upgrading to the newest version of ASTRO-25 and that radio will no longer work on the system after that is done. Also good for giving them a reason to want to encrypt. You guys always want to brag about doing this crap on a forum monitored by administration and operators on the systems your messing with. We have been very lucky that encryption is very limited on the AWIN with a couple of noted exceptions. Folks keep doing this kind of thing and that will change.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
AWIN is upgrading to the newest version of ASTRO-25 and that radio will no longer work on the system after that is done.
What does the ASTRO 25 release have to do with anything? :unsure: The only factor that would prevent an older XTS/XTL from being able to monitor the system would be the implementation of TDMA on all talkgroups.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Also good for giving them a reason to want to encrypt. You guys always want to brag about doing this crap on a forum monitored by administration and operators on the systems your messing with. We have been very lucky that encryption is very limited on the AWIN with a couple of noted exceptions. Folks keep doing this kind of thing and that will change.

Since I talk to the system admin's on a daily basis I can tell you that is incorrect, the main concern/reason for wanting to encrypt among admins and agencies on AWIN is the fact that people can download a free app on their phone and listen to police traffic. This has also been stated publicly in links I've sited to in previous posts, weather it's a main concern for other agencies outside of Arkansas I couldn't tell you.

If programmed correctly, It's no different then buy a uniden scanner. So I'm not sure I'm following whenever you say that it's the main reason system admins are going encrypted... unless you're talking about people stealing system keys (which isn't necessary) then that's a problem for Motorola.

RESQ766

Since I talk to the system admin's on a daily basis I can tell you that is incorrect, the main concern/reason for wanting to encrypt among admins and agencies on AWIN is the fact that people can download a free app on their phone and listen to police traffic. This has also been stated publicly in links I've sited to in previous posts, weather it's a main concern for other agencies outside of Arkansas I couldn't tell you.

If programmed correctly, It's no different then buy a uniden scanner. So I'm not sure I'm following whenever you say that it's the main reason system admins are going encrypted... unless you're talking about people stealing system keys (which isn't necessary) then that's a problem for Motorola.
How did you do it?

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Good for making a short term thing. AWIN is upgrading to the newest version of ASTRO-25 and that radio will no longer work on the system after that is done.

It was just for fun, I already had the tools do program so I didn't lose any money. Also Rogers has def. started using TDMA, I saw a listing on govdeals for them selling multiple apx6000 because they were upgrading radios! And I'm reading TDMA data coming from them :)

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
What does the ASTRO 25 release have to do with anything? :unsure: The only factor that would prevent an older XTS/XTL from being able to monitor the system would be the implementation of TDMA on all talkgroups.
Link Layer Authentication?
(might be supported on the XTS/XTL(?), but it would keep unauthorized radios out).

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You don't understand the process of properly programming a non-affiliate scan.
I’d like to know how you programmed any TGs without a key present.
Unless you are just scanning conventional p25 channels with a TG list and the channels programmed as selective call. (Which isn’t truly NAS and will miss traffic, esp on a busy system).

RESQ766

I’d like to know how you programmed any TGs without a key present.
Unless you are just scanning conventional p25 channels with a TG list and the channels programmed as selective call. (Which isn’t truly NAS and will miss traffic, esp on a busy system).
You can just generate your own SYSKEY

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You can just generate your own SYSKEY
Ahh, but therein lies the issue. In some jurisdictions that is a computer crime. I don’t know about in AR. I’d suggest anyone considering doing NAS read the posts over on the Motorola forum (including some recent ones) where this is well explained.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Ahh, but therein lies the issue. In some jurisdictions that is a computer crime. I don’t know about in AR. I’d suggest anyone considering doing NAS read the posts over on the Motorola forum (including some recent ones) where this is well explained.
It is a crime and it is not to be discussed here

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And right now after the Ohio incident radio security is more on minds than apps. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.