I-10 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
I will be traveling through your great state next week across I-10. Two questions:

1. Has I-10 re-opend all the way across the state? Last time I went through was during Rita and I rember a few problem spots.

2. Does anyone have any good WIN 97 files that I could have?

kd5pck

From http://www.wwl.com/Article.asp?id=240808&spid= :

Dave Cohen / WWL News Director

7-7-06

Crews have to shut down lanes on the I-10 linking Slidell to New Orleans again. They have to inspect and repair the temporary bridge built to replace the one washed away by Katrina's storm surge.

The metal bridge panels in the westbound lanes constantly shift and need readjusting. Friday one lane will be closed much of the day. Sunday night into early Monday morning the entire westbound span will be closed.

Construction on a new bridge is expected to be done in 2011. Crews begin work in August.

That covers this weekend. I haven't heard of any moe planned closures as of yet. But beware, the twin spans connecting Slidell to New Orleans has been a constant headache since the hurricanes. Be prepared to sit in traffic no matter what day or what time of day you go through that area.
If you will be going east into Mississippi, I can suggest two options:
1. From Baton Rouge, get on I-12 east and bypass all the mess on the southshore of Lake Pontchartrain. Traffic through Metairie and New Orleans has been a nightmare at best.
2. If you absolutely need to go through the southshore but don't want to go through New Orleans, take the Causeway across the lake and then back on to I-12 east to get to Mississippi. Either way, I-12 will merge back into I-10 north of Slidell well pass the chaos near the twin spans.

But, if your purpose for visiting is to do a little sight seeing, then forget all what I just wrote above. Just be prepared to sit in traffic throughout Metairie on the I-10. I try to stay out of the City of New Orleans, but some have told me the traffic isn't all that bad inside the city. Maybe that's because there really is still no one there.

Anyway, hope all this helps you out some. Enjoy your visit.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K5R

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
Got it. 10-12-10. My sis in law is having surgery and her daughter is in the hospital with a major infection in her leg. THis is not going to be a pleasure trip. We leave on the 18th. I have to be back in Corpus Christi by 7/26 to take a final. My last day on my job is 7/28 and I'll be back on the road to FL that night. THen back to Corpus by the 8/5. So I'll be putting alot of milage on the car. Thanks for the help.

cellblock776

The LSP road closure report- http://www.lsp.org/roadandincident.nsf .
I-10 is open. come on through.
Sugestion, don't take I-10 all the way. When going through Baton Rouge take the I-12 exit (Hammond) and not the I-10 (New Orleans) exit. I-12 goes due east through Hammond and relinks with I-10 in Slidell near the Mississippi state line.
I-10 from Baton Rouge goes South East, looping down below Lake Ponchatrain into New Orleans. Best to aviod that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.