I-76 Multi T/A's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtfinder

From the Ft. Morgan Times: http://www.fortmorgantimes.com/articles/2008/04/11/news/local_news/snow%20storm%20%204-11.txt

A 20-year-old local woman was killed when the car in which she was riding slid off Interstate 76 and rolled during Thursday’s snowstorm.

The fatal accident was among numerous impacts of the spring snowfall, which also cut power to local schools and delayed the completion of work on the city’s Main Street railroad crossing until Monday.

Alexa Garcia died of injuries suffered in the rollover accident about three miles east of Brush on I-76. A passenger in the vehicle, Garcia was ejected when the vehicle rolled in the median. She was pronounced dead at the scene, the Morgan County Coroner’s Office said.

Police said Garcia lived in Fort Morgan, but her obituary said she was a resident of Brush who worked at Ehrlich Motors in Sterling.

The driver was Blanca Isela Valverde-Pacheco, 21, of Fort Morgan, who goes by “Isela.” She was driving eastbound in the right lane of I-76 about 9 a.m. When she moved to the left lane she lost control and the vehicle ran into the median, rotating counter-clockwise, then skidded broadside and rolled one and a half times before it came to rest, Colorado State Patrol Sgt. Bob Rood said.

Valverde-Pacheco was transported to Colorado Plains Medical Center in Fort Morgan, treated for bumps and bruises and released, he said.

Valverde-Pacheco was wearing a seat belt, but Rood said he believed Garcia was not.

Valverde-Pacheco was charged with careless driving causing death.

Rood said the slushy conditions probably contributed to the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.