I-90 Tollway Incident near Huntley shuts all lanes down SAT 1930hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all started in Boone County. A Officers' Safety Alert Message BOLO went out around 1830hrs Saturday for a "Suspicious vehicle which may be driving on I-90 or thru Kane county. A pickup truck pulling a camper trailer. Vehicle wanted by Boone Sheriff for alleged safety hazard inside of vehicle, a propane tank next to the driver." Within a few minutes of this message alert, the truck was spotted by a sharp eyed Kane County Sheriff patrol near I-90. He engaged a slow speed pursuit in the snowstorm. The driver got on the I-90 tollway I believe at Route #20 going Eastbound, speeds of 15mph, to 90mph but he wouldn't stop. He passed an ISP unit in the opposite direction and it took a few minutes to coordinate the agencies as to what was going on. The Kane Sheriff contacted ISP D15 tollway and they sent that D15 car to backup the Kane Sheriff patrol. By 1850hrs the Kane Sheriff got the driver to stop on the tollway between Route #47 and Route #20. The Kane Sheriff took the subject into custody and to be processed by the Kane county jail. Then he asked for more assistance when he noticed what was inside the truck...

The Kane officer noticed a car battery on the passenger side area of the pickup truck which was attached to "some wires going into a box and and then wired up to the propane tank." After he put the suspect into his patrol car, he immediately backed it up 500ft and told the ISP unit to get clear of the truck too. The Kane Sheriff said that the driver talked about "Armageddon coming" and that the subject was rambling and not making any sense. He asked dispatch to notify the D15 Supervisor to notify D15 Bomb Squad for assistance right away and to immediately shut down the tollway in both directions between Routes #20 and #47. The call went out for assistance for the ITHA F2 Maintenance trucks to close the entry ramps to I-90 from Route #47 West and Route #20 to I-90 East just past 1900hrs. The F2 trucks were all on Snow & Ice at the time. Huntley PD was called in to assist as well as Hampshire and more Kane county sheriff cars. All the I-90 entry ramps in the area were all shut, traffic was diverted off the tollway in both directions and the local roads to Big Timber began to log jam badly by 2030hrs.

The Kane dispatch center learned that the ISP does Not have a Bomb Squad after getting No Answer to many phone calls they made. Confusion over this led to a 2 hour delay as to whose jurisdiction would take it. Plus it was a snowstorm. (And it was the Stanley Cup Playoffs night too). So the Kane County Bomb Squad and EMA Van got sent out to diffuse the incident on the tollway around 2115hrs. I didn't hear those calls. Just past 2230hrs, ITHA started to open the ramps to the tollway and began to salt the roads again, but I don't know how the incident ended. Just be glad nobody got hurt. The Kane Sheriff and Bomb Squad did their jobs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.