I-95 & State Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

I will be traveling I-95 Va to Fla via I-95. I have the GRE106 digital scanner and I wanted to down only the Florida State Patrol that work the I-95. Is there a way to do that or should I do the Wild card.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Mike

shadcall

I will be traveling I-95 Va to Fla via I-95. I have the GRE106 digital scanner and I wanted to down only the Florida State Patrol that work the I-95. Is there a way to do that or should I do the Wild card.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Mike

To answer your question, you can't. The FHP system cannot be monitored by any scanner. Also it is illegal to have a scanner in your car unless you meet certain exemptions. Here is the info.

1. What is the legality of scanners or radio equipment in Florida?

The most recent law was published in 2005 and applies only to equipment in motor vehicles. This law states that unless your vehicle is an official “Emergency Vehicle”, you are a Ham Radio operator, or member of the news media, you may not “install or transport […] any frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned […] to police or law enforcement officers or fire rescue personnel.”

In plain English this means that unless you meet the above criteria, you CAN NOT legally have a radio or scanner that receives Law Enforcement or Fire Rescue frequencies in your vehicle. Whether or not an officer is knowledgeable of this law and/or decides to enforce it or if you think can get away with it does not matter. The law is the law!

Source: Florida Scanner Law

2. How do I scan FHP / SLERS / State Law Enforcement / M/A-COM / etc…?

You can’t - sorrry! There is not, nor will there ever be, a scanner that can. Doing a search for any of the above key words will yield pages of results that would make for a great rainy day read.

There's a sticky about FHP and SLERS in the forum. Eventually it will be P25, but given the budget type stuff, they are working on their own timetable to do it.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
welcome to the state of the secret police. when i travel i just down the counties happy listening

The troopers and other users dont like their system either, coverage stinks in many areas and FHP doesnt allow their troopers to install additional radios or scanner in their vehicles to talk to local agencies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My buddy told me his buddy FHP says the same thing about the SLERS system he can be sitting somewhere and the CC will change on him than will he be talking to a different dispatch from another troop area. That is nuts.........

Status
Not open for further replies.