I am a FT8 Addict and I need radio help

KQ4ABU

Hi

I have really enjoyed FT8 because to work it, its real work. I think I would like to have another radio to dedicate to FT8. Currently I am using my FTDX10 which in some ways is a waste because the setting are so different from phone. So any suggestions on a FT8 radio?

I want cat so it can work with wsjtx, I was thinking the FT710 but then i would whine i want that for mobile. This radio will be FT8 fulltime. I can see 10m being plenty for the short term

thanks bedford kq4abu

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I used a 7300 with ease for FT8, all using a USB cable.

What do you mean by it’s “real work” to work FT8? I recall being pulled away from my office once and forgot it was configured for FT8. I made dozens of contacts and I wasn’t even in the room. Not great radio control but it happened.

KQ4ABU

I earn every contact. That must have been a memory from a bad dream you had.

The spectrum is full. I have to constantly move my transmit to stay on the clear to get it to complete. I am wetting my whistle on some ft4 right this second and it's not much of a challenge. But back to ft8 people getting coffee are missing the fun. I see a contact I want I work it till they give in, many don't but I remember them and go back. There is a guy in the canary islands I want in my log. He just don't feel the same way. Two weeks later no joy. Part of the chase. Thanks for your radio suggestion

dkcorlfla

I used to enjoy FT-8 and my plane Jane IC-718 worked fine but I never tried hooking up CAT. There was not much to switch from digital to SSB, just reset the Mic gain, the power and make sure all the filters and DSP are off for the digital stuff.

Have not been on FT-8 for a while because I got put off by all the crowding in one little spot on the band. I had my SDRplay one one day and took a look, there was one spot on the band packed full of FT-8 and nothing anywhere close on each side. Not impressed!

KQ4ABU

I used to enjoy FT-8 and my plane Jane IC-718 worked fine but I never tried hooking up CAT. There was not much to switch from digital to SSB, just reset the Mic gain, the power and make sure all the filters and DSP are off for the digital stuff.

Have not been on FT-8 for a while because I got put off by all the crowding in one little spot on the band. I had my SDRplay one one day and took a look, there was one spot on the band packed full of FT-8 and nothing anywhere close on each side. Not impressed!
I find that a challenge. You got a pileup it happen on the phone. It's just like a chess board to me. I watch my red lane and keep it clear. I do that by constantly moving my red lane to an area that may only have just cleared for 60-90 seconds which shows on the left side. I drag my self to the clear spot and keep my eye on the next prize, where I am going next. While I log the contact which I inspect and add to before clicking it off, I usually have to start over again. When it's busy it's the most fun. In a pileup you stack them and take em one by one, here there is no stacking it's spreading, I call it. Doing it this way is just as intense is working through a phone pileup, actually more so cause people are ready to sit right on your head and I am no chair, so I move. Wsjtx is a smart program it can handle it.

KQ4ABU

Might you explain what the heck you're talking for a newb? Thanks
Grab a copy of wsjtx manual and read it. Watch some videos on wsjtx. I just did a video on setting the basic setting to make good contacts for folks using ftdx10. There are lots of videos. I have never seen anyone approach it like me. Most guys start a contract and check their email or go pinch one off. You need to work it to be successful. Watch your decodes and holler/cq or choose a specific contact and ask them to dance. They just might. Then you log it and move on to another pretty color in your list of decodes. For me there are prizes like Hawaii Alaska Canary Islands and others just depends on what you want. You can make contracts you never could on the phone simply because you don't have a 100000$ antenna/amp system.

If your new cut you a 10m diople connect your radio to 28.074 with wsjtx and see the world. I got 6000 miles on a ft818. I use 20w on ftdx10.

It's fun

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I want cat so it can work with wsjtx...
Just about every HF radio produced by the major manufacturers in the past 20 years has had some form of computer control. I don't think it would be difficult to find a suitable radio on the used market.

Probably the least expensive new HF radios are the Yaesu FT-891 (if you can find one in stock) or the Icom IC-718.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Hi

I have really enjoyed FT8 because to work it, its real work. I think I would like to have another radio to dedicate to FT8. Currently I am using my FTDX10 which in some ways is a waste because the setting are so different from phone. So any suggestions on a FT8 radio?

I want cat so it can work with wsjtx, I was thinking the FT710 but then i would whine i want that for mobile. This radio will be FT8 fulltime. I can see 10m being plenty for the short term

thanks bedford kq4abu
FT8 isn't work. Try FT4. Requires slightly stronger signals -- faster pace -- if you have a lot going on (FTDX10, OmniRig, DXSuite, WSJTX, JT-Alert) when running FT4, if you aren't on top of things the logging will get backed up and all sorts of things. Much more fun than FT8. And there is always 10/12m FT4 going on when the bands are open somewhere, and the same on 15/20m.

Last edited by a moderator:

KQ4ABU

Just about every HF radio produced by the major manufacturers in the past 20 years has had some form of computer control. I don't think it would be difficult to find a suitable radio on the used market.

Probably the least expensive new HF radios are the Yaesu FT-891 (if you can find one in stock) or the Icom IC-718.
The 718 was mentioned. I think that is what I need. I can leave it setup and the cost is reasonable. Not sure if a used one would be worth it. Resale on radios are high and a new warranty is worth a lot today, to me anyway. I just checked and HRO is out, didn't look anywhere else yet. Thanks to everyone for your imput

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

What do you mean by it’s “real work” to work FT8? I recall being pulled away from my office once and forgot it was configured for FT8. I made dozens of contacts and I wasn’t even in the room. Not great radio control but it happened.

Normal WSJT-X won't allow you to operate unattended. It's pretty low if you operate like that (and I have a feeling you really dont). That's why the ARRL and CQ awards are garbage now though. People running the FT modes, but worse running unattended in automated mode. No skill, no work. Just rack up the QSOs.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Normal WSJT-X won't allow you to operate unattended. It's pretty low if you operate like that (and I have a feeling you really dont). That's why the ARRL and CQ awards are garbage now though. People running the FT modes, but worse running unattended in automated mode. No skill, no work. Just rack up the QSOs.
Yeah as I stated, I was pulled away and forgot about it. I didn’t feel good about it either. I never did that again.

I wonder if the program changed. It evidently allowed it when I operated.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yeah as I stated, I was pulled away and forgot about it. I didn’t feel good about it either. I never did that again.

Maybe older versions allowed it. Or maybe you are running WSJT-Z or some other variant that allows automation.

If you do FT8 though, try FT4 when the bands are open. Much more fun.

KQ4ABU

I have not seen an automated mode. You don't hit a button and make a contact. Statements like this must come from people that don't actually use it. I bet I could push the button once every 3 minutes during a 4 hour period I bet I would not have 6 contacts after it was over. If I worked it I likely would have 20 logged contacts with signal reports below 14. It's just requires your attention to detail. This idea is so far fetched I think it would be counterproductive to explain in detail why it's wrong. Because it's like so many things today it's all tribal thinking. I bet 80% don't read the manual and understand how it works.

I am going to unsubscribe before this turns ugly. I will say Dr Taylor made sure it does not work that way. I guess someone might have a version of the program they could have altered but I doubt that

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I am going to unsubscribe before this turns ugly. I will say Dr Taylor made sure it does not work that way. I guess someone might have a version of the program they could have altered but I doubt that

WSJT-X doesn't do it. But it's open source, and at least one other app based upon it (maybe two) allow for completely automated QSOs. I know as much as anyone about WSJT-X. Been using it for quite a while . It's not a tin foil hat. And yes, 99% of the people don't use automated mode. But there are those out there that do, and it's pretty blatant when you see it.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

BTW, I should have mentioned that I run FT8/FT4 all the time (but also CW/SSB). So the very complaint I have about awards being diluted is partially my own fault, if my logic is correct :)