I Am A Newbie PLEASE HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxKrazyAngelxx

Premium Subscriber
hello everyone am new to scanners and i got a pro 197 this weekend from a pawn shop and i need help getting it set up with a laptop. it didnt come with the stereo cable. I have a 1/8 cable will that work or do i need to get a certain kind of cable. I will be using Winn500. When i use the software do i need to have RR open too make it work also. thanks for any help from anyone.

awattam

Yes you will need a serial to USB adapter cable. I have the Radio Shack 20-047 programming cable. Win500 doesn't need RR to work but I would advise you get a premium subscription so you can download into Win500 from the RR database which will make programming much easier.

N1BHH

Find a Radio Shack nearby that has the 20-047 cable, first go to their website and use the search for that part number. if no luck, you can order from Scanner Master. Since you have Win500 you'll be all set. Simply plug the cable into your computer, if it asks for drivers install them, otherwise don't. Once it recognizes the cable you'll be ready to go.

Start off by downloading from the scanner whatever you have, then start fresh. Be sure to save all files for future use. And remember that many of the V-folders will most likely be out of date. I've erased mine and put in my own for my varying scanning moods.

RadioShack USB Cable

xxKrazyAngelxx

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Just want to think everyone who has helped me with my problem. I am going to order the cable and will let you know how far I get from there. Thanks again.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
xxKrazy - This article from our wiki (links are always blue) has 2 articles at the very bottom that should help you get started with Win500. In addition there are several other links here that you might find useful such as the Easier to Read manual, and some explanations about trunking (a concept that tends to floor many newcomers)

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.