I am having a hard time understanding this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It's quite easy to get overwhelmed in this hobby. You just have to focus on learning what you need to know to enjoy your scanner based on your specific interests. Certainly don't try reading this website "cover-to-cover" or you risk being institutionalized against your will. :)

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Did you actually *read* the posts before yours, or did you go right to "I hate the SDS scanners" mode? The only scanners recommended have been the BCD325P2 or BCD996P2.
@bearcatrp suggested an SDS earlier in the thread. ;)

Last edited:

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it be possible to use a $100 DMR radio? Are Con+ working as in CAP+ that the frequency that holds the control channel slot will also have its other slot as the first voice channel to be used? And if that voice channel are in use the control channel moves to another frequency and it starts over again?

Program all channels in scan and the TG's that it will monitor?

I sold two new and unused MD380 for $50 each with mic, programming cable and software and a vehicle cigg plug battery. So it doesn't need to cost much. There's no need to pay extra for a SDS scanners simulcast capability if only that single department in the Saianet are going to be monitored.

/Ubbe
Given the large assortment of your various monitoring, etc. devices it would appear you have a fairly high level of knowledge in matters relating to monitoring, radios and the like. Do you believe that RetroNay716 has the same level of knowledge and ability?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
BOOM! and there you have it.
Oh gosh. I guess I should edit my post to read, "the only scanners recommended in posts that I see". :)

Sorry @Ubbe. I agree, there is no need for an SDS scanner, and that is why I didn't recommend one.

But I agree with @PD47JD. Programming a DMR radio is a challenge, and I think a scanner is a better solution. I would be curious to know the results of monitoring the system with a [ham] DMR radio, but as I said before I'm not going to try it myself. Seems like it would have the same drawback as using a Whistler scanner ... the radio would have to 'listen' on each channel long enough to see if there was any voice traffic with the desired TG before moving to the next. On a quiet system that would probably work just fine, but if the system is really busy you'd end up missing transmissions.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Do you believe that RetroNay716 has the same level of knowledge and ability?
That's the main challenge with this forum. Unless otherwise stated by the poster, there's no way to know the level of a person's expertise with this hobby, or electronics and communications in general. You can make inferences based on a member's posts, but not so much from those of a newbie. Then too, there's no knowledge prerequisite about any subject we care to post about here. In short, no experience required.

Ubbe

Just buy a SDS 100 or 200, upgrade the software for DMR (think 60 bucks). Just decide if base or mobile. You will need your pc for sentinel software to do any upgrades and make favorites if needed. Good luck.

Did you actually *read* the posts before yours, or did you go right to "I hate the SDS scanners" mode? The only scanners recommended have been the BCD325P2 or BCD996P2.
For a multi channel CAP+ system I programmed a MD380 and worked fine. You tick a box in the programming that says "RX Only" and as a double precaution you can set the TX frequency to a "free" one in that frequency band. I've never seen a CON+ system here so I'm not sure what the differences could be. For a single system it works with a non trunked DMR radio but as the scanning stops on the control channel bursts it cannot monitor several sites or systems in scan mode, but you can have several zones with a system to scan in each. If I only program the TG's I want, and I can also do avoids on them, then the radio sits there on wherever that control channel are and waits for the correct TG's to get active. It's no more complicated to program than a scanner or that Icom LTR radio, at least not to me.

/Ubbe

mciupa

Database Admin
I checked back to see if the original poster had returned to view or respond and was surprised to see that they have de-activated their account.

Words matter when someone is struggling.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I checked back to see if the original poster had returned to view or respond and was surprised to see that they have de-activated their account.

Words matter when someone is struggling.
Her choice, her loss, she had all the help in the world at her fingertips, no one here did anything wrong and went out of their way to try to help her, it was her that didn't make the effort to help herself.

If she really wanted to hear her husband at work, she would have stuck with it and accepted the help.

GROL

You know what's snobby? Asking for help and then telling all who try to help, "never mind", because you lose patience working through the issue. I am enjoying retirement from the IT world! I now understand why so many older people seem rude, they put up with so much crap just to keep a job all their lives and no longer have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.