I am in the UK for a week zero scanner traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I actually help manage an WISP. Fiber isn't around my customers or I have better business pricing when compared to the traditional ISPs. Depending on where you are in the country last mile dsl, satellite (like HughesNet or Verizon VSAT), or microwave may be your only options.

Working in the Permian Basin, a lot of people above me wouldn't understand why connectivity was such an issue for the company (well the higher ups who worked out of Houston or California). Only way I could even get it through their heads how BYOC (bring your own connection) the Permian was took me flying them to midland (middle of nowhere as far as they were concerned), putting them in a pickup for 4 hours and then watching the look on their face when cellular dropped 1/2 mile off the pavement and then driving them 25 miles deeper to the active rigs.

Good points. We had a contract project manager here for a while that had previously worked for Chevron. He used to talk about the trouble with getting phone and data traffic to and from those sorts of areas as well as off shore rigs. Sounded like a lot of satellite was used. Some interesting challenges, for sure.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Good points. We had a contract project manager here for a while that had previously worked for Chevron. He used to talk about the trouble with getting phone and data traffic to and from those sorts of areas as well as off shore rigs. Sounded like a lot of satellite was used. Some interesting challenges, for sure.

Small world. I worked in Chevorn's MCBU. The engineer I mentored with started off in California before transfering to handle GOM and MCBU before focusing soley on MCBU. He recently retired. It was funny though because back in the 80's and 90's Chevron maintained a coast to coast microwave system for providing phone services to offices. Around 2002 they abandoned it, 2008 cut down one of the towers near Midland that hosted it, then 2010 the SCADA industry blew up with WiMAX and 802.11 solutions and they began rebuilding everythign out there on a slightly smaller scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.