I am interested if anyone knows what kind of scanner I would need to listen to Oahu Transit Service’s on a Scanner and what kind will work

Status
Not open for further replies.

local3856

I'm interested in listening to Oahu Transit Service’s . Transit buses on a scanner and wondering what kind I would need to purchase . I am in Honolulu

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
You'll need a scanner capable of following an EDAC's Trunking System.
but they'll be P25 Phase II after the transition to the new system is completed.
I'd look for for a scanner capable of both.
A Uniden SDS 100 (handheld) or SDS 200 (mobile) would be my recommendation..

IDK for sure but a note on the P25 system page indicates full time encryption, A scanner can't monitor anything encrypted.

They must be running behind schedule

Latest News Update Posted on 2020-09-19 12:13:38

City and County services are actively transitioning to the new P25P2 system. Fire and EMS are confirmed on the new system with simulcast back to the EDACS system. Police are in the process of transitioning right now. Interop channels are active on both systems as well. All P25P2 traffic appears to be encrypted. :mad:

Misc System Information

The city and county of Honolulu, have decided to build a new state-of-the-art Project 25 Phase II TRS. The new system will replace the legacy EDACS TRS that is currently in use. The new P25 TRS is now in the first phase of its rollout, with equipment installations underway, which are expected to be completed by the end of 2018. Total system cutover is expected to take place by the end of 2018, but the first quarter of 2019 is more likely. When completed, the old EDACS TRS will be official decommissioned.

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
You might want to check this thread concerning the new system.

fuhwurd

Make R34s Legal Again
You would probably scanner models such as BCD436HP, SDS100, or SDS200 (those are the only scanner models I know that can listen to an EDACS ProVoice system. there might be more.) but for me, I have been personally using an RTL-SDR with DSDplus software just to listen to EDACS Public Safety in Waipahu. Sometimes but not everytime I hear encrypted voice but its usually clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.