I am looking for some guidance on Software and Finding New Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersse

Premium Subscriber
Hello -This is my first post, but I have navigated the site many times before.

I work at a Local News Station as the Information Technology Manager. We have about 16 Uniden Bearcat BCD99T's. Some are in News cars and 3 are in the actual Newsroom. We used to have our local PD's scanner frequencies but recently we are only getting Public Works for our local Area/City. Apparently the PD's will change their frequencies every once in a while. I am not sure why, but I can only assume to deter foul folks from getting the chatter.

The news station did have a highly skilled and veteran of Radio and Police Scanners. He actually does all the scanner programming as well as installing base stations for the PD's in the area. He had about 40 years experience at the news station, so at the moment, I do not have all the skills he did.

I have been tasked with updating the BCD996T's to receive the new Scanner frequencies. Our News Director said that the previous guy used a computer to update the scanners and find the new frequencies. I have the original Manual and Programming cable for the unit.

I would like to know if I am correct, that there is software available for "scanning" (like a spectrum analyzer) for the new frequencies and allow to update the scanner with that new information?

Is this possible or are there any alternatives? I have not been able to find the frequencies and the PD has not returned my 3 phone calls I have made over the last 2 weeks.

The city PD is Moline, IL zip 61265.

We rely on some of the PD's scanner chatter but are more interested in EMS/FIRE responses. We are a news station and those are the types of things we need to be aware of.

I would like to learn a little bit more about using software to do this, but have found that there are many available, 60+ the last time I checked. Oh geeze.

So if anyone could help me out or guide me to a post that might be able to guide me, I would greatly appreciate it and thank you all for welcoming me to the RadioReference Forums!

Cheers guys/gals!
-Seve

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I moved your thread to the Illinois forum. Hopefully you can connect with someone locally who can help you.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Try these 3 links for starters:

Rock Island County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/content/?cid=3

https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware//products/freescan

I'm no longer from that area, but it looks like some of the agencies may be using P25 Phase 2 systems on the STARCOM21 Statewide system that can't be monitored with those older scanners.

STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies

Some of the local folk will advise you better on that.

KC2YSI

Premium Subscriber
It looks like they have gone to a P25 system. All the other listings show "No Longer in Use". The current information can be found here: RACOM - IA, SD, MN, NE, IL, WI Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I would recommend you contact a local radio shop and see if they can program one of the scanners. Unfortunately, I am on Long Island so I don't know any place near you. A good place around here does it, you may be able to contact them and they can generate a file to import into the scanner. You can contact them at http://www.monitorlongisland.com/radio-programming

If you would like to try it yourself, you can find some instructions here: Programming Your Scanner With the Web service

andersse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information and advice everyone! I will explore all of these wonderful resources.

Thank again!

bailly2

anderssee, after reviewing the fcc records i agree that moline is still using the racom edacs system
RACOM - IA, SD, MN, NE, IL, WI Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
i searched the fcc for records with moline as the license and all uhf, 700mhz, and 800mhz frequencies in rock island county, no new frequencies. if you had a gre psr 800 radio you could add a wildcard to find new talkgroups on the racom system, if not you could listen to the input frequencies which would tell you all nearby activity: 811.4625 812.4625 813.4625

andersse

Premium Subscriber
Thank you once again.

Moline PD was programmed on 774.8187MHz

I removed that frequency and Added 856.4625MHz, 858.4625MHz, 856.2375MHz and 859.2375MHz. These worked as I am able to hear PD dispatch and mobile reply.

The only problem I am having now, since I have done that, there are 5 low tone beeps after each transmission. That has changed. I do not believe I changed anything else, just the frequencies. I understand that the beeping is not like that of an EAS tone alert, but soft and higher toned.

I have read that some systems will do this as a way to alert the dispatch/mobile that they are clear of transmission. Anyone else agree on this? Or is there a setting that will stop it or make it a shorter amount of beeps?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On Uniden scanners, you set the system to ID search mode to hear all channels on a trunked system (even if you haven't programmed them into the scanner), similar to "wildcard" on GRE models.

Status
Not open for further replies.