I am looking for the airports or flight schools for the list of frequencies I can hear in Orange County, Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

WB9YBM

There are also references for pilots--I forget what they're called--that list airport frequencies (and other airport details), probably available at most (if not all) airports or resources like "Sporty Pilots Shop" which has an Internet presence (and I'm sure there are other such stores out there too),

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@dlwtrunked @WB9YBM those are great suggestions but the OP was asking for the Flight School freqs, those publications will list airport and ATC freqs and maybe FOB freqs in some cases, but not individual flight schools.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
@dlwtrunked @WB9YBM those are great suggestions but the OP was asking for the Flight School freqs, those publications will list airport and ATC freqs and maybe FOB freqs in some cases, but not individual flight schools.

I know of no flight schools around here that "have frequencies". In fact if any do, they must be very few. And yes, I have taken a quick look through the FCC database where they would have to be. When learning,a new pilot has an instructor pilot next to him and when then flying initially alone, a new pilot needs to be paying attention to the ATC frequencies and flying--not talking to some other ground operation. What would a flight school even use "its own frequencies" for (other than possible ground operations as a business licensee)?

Last edited:

WB9YBM

@dlwtrunked @WB9YBM those are great suggestions but the OP was asking for the Flight School freqs,

Well, to expand on my original idea: since it would be counter-intuitive to think flight schools would consciously go into hiding, they must have their information published somewhere. I'm not sure if doing a search on "flight schools" would be specific enough--may lead to "information overload"--but if the op could find out the name of the flight school, and see if it has a web site with the info. Alternatively, if we knew what airport a certain school is at, possibly that airport will include flight school info on their property...

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@WB9YBM my thinking is, unless they use the radios on the ground to talk to workers (like refuel N123AB) where they need part 90 radios/licenses, they are using common vhf air, that they would be licensed for based on their FAA license/FCC Aero license, something like 123 MHz range.

WB9YBM

@WB9YBM my thinking is, unless they use the radios on the ground to talk to workers (like refuel N123AB) where they need part 90 radios/licenses, they are using common vhf air, that they would be licensed for based on their FAA license/FCC Aero license, something like 123 MHz range.

yup, that certainly sounds reasonable.

superdeez

123.5 is L3Haris Academy, you should hear their training aircraft make callouts as they practice in training areas in Lake and Volusia Counties.

123.9375 sounds like government activity, as the radio would have had to had one of the mods done to allow for 12.5kHz tuning. Interested to know what you've been hearing on that

John777

123.5 is L3Haris Academy, you should hear their training aircraft make callouts as they practice in training areas in Lake and Volusia Counties.

123.9375 sounds like government activity, as the radio would have had to had one of the mods done to allow for 12.5kHz tuning. Interested to know what you've been hearing on that
Thank you for the Data.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

The only current FCC licenses in Florida for that frequency follow. The FCC show the accademy license having expired in 1999--that of course does not say they are not ignoring that.

FLIGHTSAFETY INTERNATIONAL
2805 AIRPORT DRIVE
VERO BEACH, FL 32960

AEROSIM ACADEMY INC.
2700 FLIGHT LINE AVE
SANFORD, FL 32773

Sterling Flight Traning by Malone Air Inc.
855-21 St Johns Bluff Road.
Jacksonville, FL 32225

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
Jack T Haun
600 S. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900

CAE USA Inc
4908 Tampa West Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33634

Clear4Code7

Skyvector (skyvector.com) is a good reference for frequencies. I use it for flight planning and grabbing FBO frequencies before I travel somewhere.

Also, flight schools generally don't have their own frequencies. Once the aircraft is on a taxiway or in the air, they'll be in contact with a controller or on a common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF).

Clear4Code7

Which airport are you nearest? Unless you're very close, you probably won't be picking up much ground traffic. If you're unsure whether you're in range of ground traffic, try tuning to the airport's ATIS, ASOS, or AWOS frequency. It's broadcast continuously and easily identifiable on any chart. If you're not hearing the ATIS/ASOS/AWOS, you probably won't hear any other ground based traffic.

The only local frequency I saw was 123.5, which is listed as the Alert Area 294 just south of the Daytona Beach class C surface area.

Of the rest of the frequencies you listed, the following are ARTCC. So you're hearing a very high powered radio that's not necessarily near an airport.

126.525 - Miami Center - Avon Park
128.225 - Miami Center - Sarasota
132.15 - Miami Center - West Palm Beach (this one is a remote site)
133.3 - Jacksonville Center - Alma
133.325 - Jacksonville Center - Lowell
135.65 - Jacksonville Center - Gainesville

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.