I am needing help programming DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedcom

I am having problems get DRM to work in SDS200. Yes, I purchased the upgrade. I think my problem is programing. I have them setup in a tree with department and site. I am using DRM one Frequency. I know the freq. (154.0550) TGID (3) Color group (9) FD slot 2 PD Slot 1. See screen shot. I thinking I should be using conventional system instead of DMR one Frequency. If I do that, I cannot figure out how to setup talk group and time slots.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    113.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    81.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    69.4 KB · Views: 60

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
(You mean DMR, not DRM, right?)

For the city of Cleveland, if you were to program it as a conventional frequency, you would not be able to specify the TGID, nor the slot. Since both Fire & PD are shown as using TGID, but on different slots, the OFT system is the only way to separate them. If entered as conventional, you could still hear traffic, but you would have no indication (other than by listening) as to whether it was a PD, or a Fire unit talking. DMR One Frequency Trunked is the system type you need to use.

The Jennings frequency on the database page for Pawnee County is likely incorrect. The license for the frequently listed, 152.390, is expired. The frequency was not licensed as DMR. Jennings Fire has a new license:

The base (repeater) frequency for that is 151.325. They are licensed for DMR, as well as analog, on the license.

reedcom

(You mean DMR, not DRM, right?)

For the city of Cleveland, if you were to program it as a conventional frequency, you would not be able to specify the TGID, nor the slot. Since both Fire & PD are shown as using TGID, but on different slots, the OFT system is the only way to separate them. If entered as conventional, you could still hear traffic, but you would have no indication (other than by listening) as to whether it was a PD, or a Fire unit talking. DMR One Frequency Trunked is the system type you need to use.

The Jennings frequency on the database page for Pawnee County is likely incorrect. The license for the frequently listed, 152.390, is expired. The frequency was not licensed as DMR. Jennings Fire has a new license:

The base (repeater) frequency for that is 151.325. They are licensed for DMR, as well as analog, on the license.

Thanks for the reply. I am wanting to set the SDS to only receive the fire side of the system. The system is a single repeater with fire in slot 2. I do not find OFT in the system options. Are saying use the MotoTRBO trunk instead of DMR one Frequency? If MotoTRBO trunk do I just ignore the LCN setting on the site tab?

Also, am I on the right track with my tree layout? I gave each department their own branch with department and site.

As for Jennnings Fire I got the frequency from info I pulled out of one of their Motorola XPR7550.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. I am wanting to set the SDS to only receive the fire side of the system. The system is a single repeater with fire in slot 2. I do not find OFT in the system options. Are saying use the MotoTRBO trunk instead of DMR one Frequency? If MotoTRBO trunk do I just ignore the LCN setting on the site tab?

Also, am I on the right track with my tree layout? I gave each department their own branch with department and site.

As for Jennnings Fire I got the frequency from info I pulled out of one of their Motorola XPR7550.
"OFT" refers to One Frequency Trunked. In Sentinel, that is one of the options for creating a system.

1626621854095.png

Looking at your screenshot, that's what you used. As I already noted, if you were to program the DMR channels as conventional, not a DMR OFT system, you would not be able to specify a talkgroup (TGID) nor a slot. With an OFT system, you can use that information.

For Cleveland, where the same frequency, as well as the talkgroup, is used for both, the OFT system type will do what you want. You have both Fire & PD programmed in your screenshot. You can simply set the PD (which uses Slot 1) to Avoid, which means you would not hear them. Or, only program the Fire, not PD, and turn off ID Search for that OFT system. That also would result in only the FD being heard.

For Jennings, where you say you got the frequency information from one of their radios, you did confirm both what frequency they used, and also that it was using DMR?

If what you have is different than what's in the database currently, please submit the corrected information. (The listed frequency currently shown is from an expired license. As noted above, I saw a different, valid, license for the agency.)

reedcom

Enter Mototrbo trunk, on the NEXT page it will ask trunk or one-frequency trunk. Select one-frequency trunk.
Thanks for the replay. I tried using motoTRBO trunk but the time slot box is greyed out. I did not find trunk or one-frequency setting.

reedcom

"OFT" refers to One Frequency Trunked. In Sentinel, that is one of the options for creating a system.

View attachment 106663

Looking at your screenshot, that's what you used. As I already noted, if you were to program the DMR channels as conventional, not a DMR OFT system, you would not be able to specify a talkgroup (TGID) nor a slot. With an OFT system, you can use that information.

For Cleveland, where the same frequency, as well as the talkgroup, is used for both, the OFT system type will do what you want. You have both Fire & PD programmed in your screenshot. You can simply set the PD (which uses Slot 1) to Avoid, which means you would not hear them. Or, only program the Fire, not PD, and turn off ID Search for that OFT system. That also would result in only the FD being heard.

For Jennings, where you say you got the frequency information from one of their radios, you did confirm both what frequency they used, and also that it was using DMR?

If what you have is different than what's in the database currently, please submit the corrected information. (The listed frequency currently shown is from an expired license. As noted above, I saw a different, valid, license for the agency.)

Ok, sorry I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I programmed the 6 Pawnee County DMR systems in my XPR7550 with no problem. They all work in my XPR. The only system that works in my SDS in the Sheriff Office. I hear the others on my XPR, but not my SDS.

Originally, I set my SDS using DMR one frequency for the Pawnee Co DMR systems. Looking at My screen shots does the DMR set up look correct?

In the screen shot both Cleveland PD and FD were on just to see if I could receive either. My original program had the PD set to Avoid.

noelp

Premium Subscriber
Go to Digital Frequency Search, Quick Import, Select your county and state and sentinel software. You get a long list. Delete everything that you don't want and copy to Clipboard. You can click to see the import instructions at the top of the page. I think you are suppose to enter it as conventional only.

reedcom

That setup looks correct. Are the quick keys and service types active that you have selected?
Yes, the service types are active. Quick keys is other area of problem. Under Dept/Site Quick Keys I have all 99 checked, not sure if that is right. Without them checked I get "Nothing to Scan" error.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If using a favorites list, Download and Monitor must both be enabled for that favorites list in the profile editor when you Write to Scanner. If Monitor if Off, it will not scan.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Make sure that all of the quick keys are also enabled for systems. You can do that in the Favorites list editor.
1626637360556.png

How about exporting & posting your Favorites list? It sounds ok, but there details that your screenshots do not display.

To do that, click on the File drop-down menu in Sentinel

1626637510969.png
Select Export to hpe file (Favorites list)

You'll get a pop-up menu asking which list to export.
Choose the one you want, and make sure that all your systems are selected.
(This is for one of my lists.)

1626637633724.png

Once you verify your systems are selected, & hit OK, you'll get a pop-up window for you to select the name to save it, as well as choosing a location where you want the file to be.

After saving the hpe file, use Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 10) to find the file you just saved.
<Right><Click> on your file, and from the pop-up menu that appears, choose Send To......

Select 'Send to Compressed (zipped) folder'

1626637917713.jpeg
That creates a file that you can attach to a post. (The hpe file type cannot be attached, but the zipped file can be.)

reedcom

Make sure that all of the quick keys are also enabled for systems. You can do that in the Favorites list editor.
View attachment 106667

How about exporting & posting your Favorites list? It sounds ok, but there details that your screenshots do not display.

To do that, click on the File drop-down menu in Sentinel

View attachment 106668
Select Export to hpe file (Favorites list)

You'll get a pop-up menu asking which list to export.
Choose the one you want, and make sure that all your systems are selected.
(This is for one of my lists.)

View attachment 106669

Once you verify your systems are selected, & hit OK, you'll get a pop-up window for you to select the name to save it, as well as choosing a location where you want the file to be.

After saving the hpe file, use Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 10) to find the file you just saved.
<Right><Click> on your file, and from the pop-up menu that appears, choose Send To......

Select 'Send to Compressed (zipped) folder'

View attachment 106670
That creates a file that you can attach to a post. (The hpe file type cannot be attached, but the zipped file can be.)

Steve, Thanks again for the help. I have made changes to the DMR systems again. Most of them I changed to Conventional and added “Digital Code Search” these are channels that it is okay to listen to both time slots. I have 3 systems I want to only listen to the fire on time slot 2. They are Pawnee and Cleveland Fire in the Pawnee Co list. I also want to listen Yale Fire in the Payne Co List.
I guess the way I setup my SDS Sentential would only let me export my favorite list individually, So I only sent Payne and Pawnee Co lists together.

Attachments

• Pawnee County.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 10

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve, Thanks again for the help. I have made changes to the DMR systems again. Most of them I changed to Conventional and added “Digital Code Search” these are channels that it is okay to listen to both time slots. I have 3 systems I want to only listen to the fire on time slot 2. They are Pawnee and Cleveland Fire in the Pawnee Co list. I also want to listen Yale Fire in the Payne Co List.
I guess the way I setup my SDS Sentential would only let me export my favorite list individually, So I only sent Payne and Pawnee Co lists together.
For DMR systems, where there is more than one user for a talkgroup ID, the only difference being the 'slot' being used, the only way to focus on the only one you want is to use a DMR OFT system. Maybe I'm missing something here, but in a couple of cases, I'm getting the impression that you are not hearing anything with a DMR OFT, but you do hear traffic with a conventional channel, set to Search. Am I correct?

What you have listed for Yale is licensed to the Pawnee Nation. If you know that that frequency is dedicated for use in Yale, then I'll take your word for it. Obviously I am well out of range from here in Dallas.

Here's what I'm thinking: For for the DMR OFT systems that you are not hearing, yet you do hear activity when programmed as convention, and 'Search' to pick up the mode &/or color code, there has to be something wrong with the information in the OFT system. Otherwise, it would work without a problem. I have several of those set up here, with no problems.

Do you have ProScan, or for now, are you only using Sentinel? If you don't have ProScan (or ARC536 Pro), download ProScan. There's a 30 day free trial, so this won't cost you anything to try.

Install ProScan. Then, for your OFT systems, set them to 'Search' for the color code, & ID Search for talkgroups. Also program what you have (for talkgroups & slots). Then set up ProScan for your SDS200 (in other words, chose that as the radio model). Install the Uniden Serial driver, if you have not already done so. Then, connect the scanner to your PC, setting the scanner to "serial mode). In ProScan, click on the Comm Port drop-down menu.
1626658237833.png
Hit 'Auto Detect' and let it "find" your SDS200.

Now, leave the scanner connected, and let it log activity. That way, you can see what color code it's seeing (either what you already have, or maybe a different one). You'd also see any active talkgroups on each frequency, as well as which slot was used.

1626658412655.png
The 'slot' is the '/1' or '/2' at the end of the frequency. (This screenshot is from a regular trunked system, not an OFT, so the slot, as well as the frequency, will not always be the same every time.) For an OFT system, where they are utilizing the slot so that two different agencies can use the same talkgroup, it should consistently show the same slot, every time, like "slot 1 for PD" and "slot 2 for FD".

Let that run awhile so that you can get a good selection of activity. See if any of the logs show a different pattern than what you have.

reedcom

For DMR systems, where there is more than one user for a talkgroup ID, the only difference being the 'slot' being used, the only way to focus on the only one you want is to use a DMR OFT system. Maybe I'm missing something here, but in a couple of cases, I'm getting the impression that you are not hearing anything with a DMR OFT, but you do hear traffic with a conventional channel, set to Search. Am I correct?

What you have listed for Yale is licensed to the Pawnee Nation. If you know that that frequency is dedicated for use in Yale, then I'll take your word for it. Obviously I am well out of range from here in Dallas.

Here's what I'm thinking: For for the DMR OFT systems that you are not hearing, yet you do hear activity when programmed as convention, and 'Search' to pick up the mode &/or color code, there has to be something wrong with the information in the OFT system. Otherwise, it would work without a problem. I have several of those set up here, with no problems.

Do you have ProScan, or for now, are you only using Sentinel? If you don't have ProScan (or ARC536 Pro), download ProScan. There's a 30 day free trial, so this won't cost you anything to try.

Install ProScan. Then, for your OFT systems, set them to 'Search' for the color code, & ID Search for talkgroups. Also program what you have (for talkgroups & slots). Then set up ProScan for your SDS200 (in other words, chose that as the radio model). Install the Uniden Serial driver, if you have not already done so. Then, connect the scanner to your PC, setting the scanner to "serial mode). In ProScan, click on the Comm Port drop-down menu.
View attachment 106691
Hit 'Auto Detect' and let it "find" your SDS200.

Now, leave the scanner connected, and let it log activity. That way, you can see what color code it's seeing (either what you already have, or maybe a different one). You'd also see any active talkgroups on each frequency, as well as which slot was used.

View attachment 106692
The 'slot' is the '/1' or '/2' at the end of the frequency. (This screenshot is from a regular trunked system, not an OFT, so the slot, as well as the frequency, will not always be the same every time.) For an OFT system, where they are utilizing the slot so that two different agencies can use the same talkgroup, it should consistently show the same slot, every time, like "slot 1 for PD" and "slot 2 for FD".

Let that run awhile so that you can get a good selection of activity. See if any of the logs show a different pattern than what you have.

You are correct the channels I have setup with DMR one frequency do not work with the exception of Pawnee Co SO. The SO was spotty with One Frequency, I seem to be receiving more from them in conventional. I have changed them all to conventional and not filtering with time slots. I am now receiving both PD and FD for Cleveland and Pawnee. The SDS is showing the TGID and Slots I programmed the DMR one frequency with. I do not understand it. I am going to run this way for awhile. I will keep poking at it until I make it work!

I do have ProScan installed and running. I am still tweaking it.

As for Yale on Pawnee Nation, that is correct. Yale and Pawnee Fire /PD are using the Nations systems exclusively. It is my understanding that Pawnee Nation funded most if not all of Pawnee Co switch to DMR.

Thanks again for all of your help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You are correct the channels I have setup with DMR one frequency do not work with the exception of Pawnee Co SO. The SO was spotty with One Frequency, I seem to be receiving more from them in conventional. I have changed them all to conventional and not filtering with time slots. I am now receiving both PD and FD for Cleveland and Pawnee. The SDS is showing the TGID and Slots I programmed the DMR one frequency with. I do not understand it. I am going to run this way for awhile. I will keep poking at it until I make it work!

I do have ProScan installed and running. I am still tweaking it.

As for Yale on Pawnee Nation, that is correct. Yale and Pawnee Fire /PD are using the Nations systems exclusively. It is my understanding that Pawnee Nation funded most if not all of Pawnee Co switch to DMR.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Be sure & see if there is a difference in the color code. Is the same one used for both? Or is it any different than what you already had?

If you see differences in the slots, color codes, and TGIDs, make a note of them.
This is a small religious college near me (less than a mile). This is a screenshot from ProScan:

1626663895377.png
That one TGID, & slot #, are all I've ever seen for their security. That second TGID has not had enough activity to positively identify what they use it for.

Hang in there. Once you get enough log entries, you may be able to see & correct what is causing the problems using an OFT.

Status
Not open for further replies.