I am rather surprised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izg2

Premium Subscriber
I use to be into scanners years ago. Just recently re-started the hobby. I am rather surprised that no one has taken the time to do a walk through on basic scanning without the acronyms and jargon.
I own a telcom and prior to this developed software for on my own for decade.
I have been through the forums, wiki's and youtube and have never found a hobby with a higher barrier to entry.
While I can see where the average Ham-RF jockey has no desire to sit down and do a walk through I am surprised that a company like UNIDEN or even a website like RR has not done a quick start basics.
Before you say its there, I admit I am 50 years old... and so to double check I had my two kids try to see if they could locate a resource such as I mentioned.
Both came back a few hours later and said, jibber jabber but no walk throughs. And one of them just graduated with a masters specializing in Neural Networks and the other is a Senior studying astrophysics/mathematics with a high degree of exposure to radio astronomy.
So its not just me.
I have developed a lot of support documentation over the years and have found that software sold better the more I broke down its use.
Shame, I can't imagine how many people wanted to take this up as a hobby after buying a scanner then faced the jargon laced unfriendly documentation and found something else to do.
Anyways, just a comment on the current state of the state from re-new user.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry to hear that this is your experience. I am wondering if you've tripped over my podcast yet, Scanner School. The very early episodes are geared especially for the new user and explains all the jargon before adding into your scanner radio vocabulary.

You can find Scanner School on any podcast app or on our website in my signature.

If you did find my podcast, I'll be sure to create a newbie episode to address any issues you may have.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I use to be into scanners years ago. Just recently re-started the hobby. I am rather surprised that no one has taken the time to do a walk through on basic scanning without the acronyms and jargon.
I have been through the forums, wiki's and youtube and have never found a hobby with a higher barrier to entry.
While I can see where the average Ham-RF jockey has no desire to sit down and do a walk through I am surprised that a company like UNIDEN or even a website like RR has not done a quick start basics.
Before you say its there, I admit I am 50 years old... and so to double check I had my two kids try to see if they could locate a resource such as I mentioned.
Both came back a few hours later and said, jibber jabber but no walk throughs. And one of them just graduated with a masters specializing in Neural Networks and the other is a Senior studying astrophysics/mathematics with a high degree of exposure to radio astronomy.
So its not just me.
I have developed a lot of support documentation over the years and have found that software sold better the more I broke down its use.
Shame, I can't imagine how many people wanted to take this up as a hobby after buying a scanner then faced the jargon laced unfriendly documentation and found something else to do.

There are a large number of videos on some of the most common scanners in use now, including some with step by step details on how to program or set up specific models of scanners. If you have already purchased a scanner, or are looking at a few models to consider what to purchase, then someone can point you in the right direction if the models are specified. For examples, look at the various video clips posted on YouTube by just one person.
There are a number of others.

Also, what is your city (or county) and state. That makes a huge difference in trying to determine what would work best for you and your area.

marksmith

Scanners have become very advanced, as have the systems in the last couple decades. The software has become more advanced in order to keep up, with an emphasis on making it easy to program, and not necessarily to teach the fundamentals and details behind operation. Only continued activity in the hobby gives you that.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So its not just me.

In addition to the resources you mentioned and Scanner School. Here are a few more resources

As far as acronyms and jargon, I think it's unavoidable not to use in today's tech world. If you come across any acronyms and jargon you are unfamiliar with then google it.
BTW What's a "telcom". It sounds like jargon to me. I just googled it. Nothing comes up, closest match is "telecom". Anyways you get the point.

If you have any specific questions, everyone here that knows the answer will answer.

u2brent

OAMPT
Welcome Back!

Did you or your kids look through the radio reference wiki section?
It's full of stuff besides the jibber jabber in the forum section.
Coming from a telecom background, I'm surprised that Acronyms and such are such a surprise.
You can't talk serious telecom without them, The same is true of this hobby..
Hopefully the glossary will help and the wiki is full of treasures, but they need to be dug up..

Uniden has one too.
Good luck finding things though :rolleyes:

SONET

Last edited:

bb911

I understand. "Google is your friend" has become the mantra of many. It seems to me that some of todays' scanner users are much more into figuring out all of the next to useless features (bells and whistles) on the latest scanners then they are into actually listening to anything.

Ubbe

What are the model(s) of the scanner you have? The latest models with databases cannot be any more basic. Just enter your locations zip code, city name or gps coordinates and then add what type of services you would like to monitor. You don't need to know all the jargongs to use a modern scanner. But it probably makes it more interesting if you know what's actually going on in a scanner.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
As a scanner owner for several decades, I've found it far easier to focus on learning only what is necessary to get your scanner to do what you want it to do. Don't attempt to read the "book" cover-to-cover. Trust me, you won't be asked to take a test on your knowledge later! :)

bb911

What are the model(s) of the scanner you have? The latest models with databases cannot be any more basic. Just enter your locations zip code, city name or gps coordinates and then add what type of services you would like to monitor. You don't need to know all the jargongs to use a modern scanner. But it probably makes it more interesting if you know what's actually going on in a scanner.

/Ubbe
The zip code, etc.., data bases on newer scanners serve a valuable purpose (from what I've read), yet they are likely to be inadequate for many users. For example, in my area (SoCal), even the data found on RR is insufficient for some agencies. (US Forest Service for example). One will likely have to use their scanners search function to discover some of the 'best' freqs in use in their area. Or, in some cases one has to find .gov docs online that list the freqs and their specific use(s), and they aren't always easy to find.

wtp

to the OP,
maybe you are overthinking it.
keep it simple
these are computers that get radio.
systems are folders and you open them up.
quick keys are shortcuts to help do that.
i never got the hang of them and just lock and unlock a system.

and the big question....

SO WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION ?
(not yelling, just loud)

Status
Not open for further replies.