I am writing OS X scanner software

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalys

I've had this on the back burner for a while, but finally have a chance to get started with it. The recently-revived thread about the topic made me most this.

The details:

- I have no idea how long it will take, it depends how busy I am this summer.
- it will likely be OS X 10.4-only
- the Uniden BCD396T will be the only model supported initially, as it's the only scanner I have. Others should be relatively simple to add, although I don't know how I will be able to test against them.
- Stage one functionality is frequency setup and import only, not configuration of any other settings.
- Stage two is importing from the RadioReference database
- Stage three is a Dashboard widget for controlling the scanner
- Stage four is audio recording and logging
- Stage five is support of other scanners
- It will be freely available at first, but I will start charging if it ever becomes robust and functional enough for me to not feel guilty about it. Keep in mind that that's a big if.

The stages are subject to change, depending on what I find interesting. I'm writing this purely for my own benefit, both as a project for learning Objective-C, and because there is no decent software that does this for OS X.

I'm posting this to gauge interest, and let Mac users know. A few questions:

1) At what stage would you want to use this application? E.g. if you don't have a BCD396T, you will have to wait until stage five. If not enough people have a 396T, I'll have to reprioritize, and make stage five stage two.
2) What special features would you like to see in the application?
3) What price would you be willing to pay?

Last edited:

mkewman

YES YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

i think you should support the pro-97, it's a scanner that almost everyone i know has.

I'm excited, and i'll pay at least 30 bucks for it.

I'd love to support for 10.3.9 though. ;-) but maybe i should just get with the times and upgrade.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I have had some sucess in the past running arc software under linux using WINE. I'm curious to see if you could go this route with the intel macs.

Al42

mkewman said:
i think you should support the pro-97, it's a scanner that almost everyone i know has.
The Uniden protocol is published, the GRE protocol isn't. I'm sure that if you could provide the GRE protocol there would be a HUGE nember of people ready, willing and able (not to mention salivating) to write software for a few GRE scanners.

William

Avalys,

Yes, support for Mac OS X would be great!!!

I personally would be willing to pay $30-50 for a well-thought-out, fully-functional piece of software. I would pay less for interim steps.

I personally have a BC780xlt, so that's my vote for scanner.

Also, your first step of freq. setup and import would be a great start and worth a few bucks to me.

William

dwacaster

I'm in. I would pay $30 for a solid program at Step 2 and up to $50 at Step 5.

UASD is currently the only reason I have a Windows PC at home, so this would be great.

-D

bna92

Yeah! Go for it! I'd also give $30-$50 for a full version. I'm with a BR330T here - I vaguely remember that .mem files for non-digital systems could be shared between the 396 and the 330, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make the software work with both scanners.

As far as extra features go, some kind of logging and recording would be nice if you have the time someday.

Thank you!

RISC777

Question

avalys said:
I've had this on the back burner for a while, but finally have a chance to get started with it.

avalys :

Are you a member of that Yahoo 396 Group, "BCD396T?"

avalys

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I've been working on the software, and progress is good, but no promises as to an alpha release date yet.

I'm not a member of the Yahoo group, but I will be shortly, and will post the same message there.

It seems I will be able to support OS X 10.3, so there's no need to upgrade (except for the Dashboard widget, when it gets here, and if you want it).

Also of note, my current plan has steps three and four swapped - I will be implementing squelch-activated audio recording (with system name logging) before the Dashboard widget.

I'm glad to know people are interested. :)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
mmartinfan said:
Interesting.

Very. I have a G4 running OS X 10.4.6, and using Win2k under Virtual PC 7 find that ARC products work nicely. Win96 doesn't work at all due to the memory caching, apparently.

So I would be all for some good OS X software for the Pro96. I've thought about hammering something out using Java or C++ but just don't have the time.

Tom WA8PYR

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Yes! This is great news. I just got my MacBook (Intel) a couple of weeks ago, and like some others have posted, I keep the PC box around just for scanner programming.

I don't have a 396T, but will be getting a 996T this week, so I would look forward to compatibiliy of the software for both.

califzeph

I have a Pro 96 and Pro 97. My main computer is a Mac iBook running 10.4. I would love to see software for this combination! Now that Garmin is coming out with Mac GPS software this year, my scanners are the only reason I have left to have my old Compaq laptop around!

mkewman

just got myself a 396, so i can't wait to hear anything about any sort of release of software. i hate trying to get my peecee to work, takes too much time and knowing my genes, the hair i pull out may never come back ;)

let us know how it's coming!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mkewman said:
just got myself a 396, so i can't wait to hear anything about any sort of release of software. i hate trying to get my peecee to work, takes too much time and knowing my genes, the hair i pull out may never come back ;)

let us know how it's coming!

A quick Google search turn up this for the BCD396T, and a MAC:

http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/index.html

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mkewman said:
unfortunatly that only works for INTEL macs

There are two programs listed on that page. The first one says this:

Macintosh This program will work with Macintosh OS X PPC and Intel. You will need a USB to Serial port converter to connect the radio. You will also need to disable the MAC OS X Aqua TCL/TK and Install Active State ActiveTCL. Please read the MAC OS X Setup text file in the .tgz download file for instructions on how to test and enable serial port communications in MAC OS X. This program should also work in MAC OS 8 or 9 as long as you have serial port communications enabled in TCL/TK.

It reads that it is supported on the Power PC.

RobertDavies

I can confirm that I have successfully run BCD396T Manager on both intel and ppc Macs, there is no difference to the installation or functionality.

I diverged from Keith's recommendations slightly and installed TCL/TK from Fink.

The software works very nicely indeed :)

Regards,

-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.