I amlooking for some reviews on the homepatrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabiker

I already have a 996xt and a 396t and was thinking about buying a home patrol. I have had problems programing my scanners now. I use freescan software. I am not understanding the talk groups and the way to set up all the systems it seems like i am adding to many systems. and repeating this for every talk group. but anyways....... I was wondering if the home patrol was a waste of time and money i was thinking about going with the extreme set up.

Essexscan

dabiker, I had the 396T and liked it alot, it was a great radio for picking up digital but i am happy as hell I bought the HP-1 & Extreme add-on. it is night and day different than the 396T. i like the ability to lock on Towns/agencies with just a touch forget about the thousand others things it does. Updates are what makes it even better with having the database on board. just my opinion but you won't be sorry.

this and my Motorola's are in my never sell list unless uniden comes out with a HP-2

Essexscan

There will probably be a HP-2 some time in the distant future but for right now there are 2 versions of the HP-1. you get both in the radio when you buy it but have to pay to get an unlock code to get whats called the extreme version or HP-1E. Honestly, to me its worth every penny to get the extreme.

Plus Uniden sends out firmware updates from time to time and RR updates the database everyweek Besides UPman is the official Uniden Grand high exhaulted mystic ruler and is always helping solve any problems, you really can't ask for better than that from any company

As you read here i'd say 90% or better of the guys here that have it, like it and use it alot. Like anything thats more computer than actual radio software problems pop up but now with the updates it looks like 99% of that is settled and now everyone is enjoying all the new features included in the updates.

Hope this helps you decide

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Here is my review: I opened the box, turned it on, programmed my local systems, heard the crappy audio, put it back in the box and returned it. I don't tollerate complete crap audio coming out the speaker of a $500.00 scanner. Uniden engineers should be ashamed of them selves for putting such inferior parts into a $500.00 scanner. It may have plenty of other useful features but the audio is complete crap.

markab

Home run

There will probably be a HP-2 some time in the distant future but for right now there are 2 versions of the HP-1. you get both in the radio when you buy it but have to pay to get an unlock code to get whats called the extreme version or HP-1E. Honestly, to me its worth every penny to get the extreme.

Plus Uniden sends out firmware updates from time to time and RR updates the database everyweek Besides UPman is the official Uniden Grand high exhaulted mystic ruler and is always helping solve any problems, you really can't ask for better than that from any company

As you read here i'd say 90% or better of the guys here that have it, like it and use it alot. Like anything thats more computer than actual radio software problems pop up but now with the updates it looks like 99% of that is settled and now everyone is enjoying all the new features included in the updates.

Hope this helps you decide

I totally agree. Uniden hit a grand slam with the HP. I've been into scanners for 25 years and have owned many scanners during that time. The HP -especially with Extreme, is head and sholders better than any other scanner on the market. It performs exceptionally well, has great audio, support, and a suite of features that is simply unmatched in its' price range. Not to mention how quick and easy it is to get it up and running.

Mark

dabiker

I wished

I had a clearer understanding of how to program the 996xt and the 396t using freescan but after messing with it for over a year now i got the scanners to work but not the way that i truly understand yet. I would almost need to set on the phone with someone or some other type of communications because i am not that smart when it come to forums and directions i have watched just about every video i could find out there on programing these things i wished i had a sample file that i could look at to see how its done, i think that mite work. but i am still thinking of buying the hp-1 extreme but then i read its easy to use but then the videos i saw really makes me want it more with the trucking discovery option but then how do u program what you find into the scanner ? i am just rambling i guess its all ?s ill have after i buy the HP-1

listen13579

Here is my review: I opened the box, turned it on, programmed my local systems, heard the crappy audio, put it back in the box and returned it. I don't tollerate complete crap audio coming out the speaker of a $500.00 scanner. Uniden engineers should be ashamed of them selves for putting such inferior parts into a $500.00 scanner. It may have plenty of other useful features but the audio is complete crap.

In what way is the audio bad?

kc0net

Premium Subscriber
Home Patrol Reviews

I have been listening to Public Safety radio since 1959 and I to say the HP1 is great.
I have a lot of scanners, but I keep my HP1 by my bed because it does every thing so well.
It is fun to program my BC396XT, but the HP1 is so easy to use.
As to the audio, it is OK, however I use a amplified speaker with it for extra omph.
I was lucky enough to be at the Uniden BBQ when they introduced it and thought as some one who has years of experience it was not for me. Well after having one I am eating my words.
Great product and worth the money.
Frank

jmurphy7411

Home Patrol Reviews

I already have a 996xt and a 396t and was thinking about buying a home patrol. I have had problems programing my scanners now. I use freescan software. I am not understanding the talk groups and the way to set up all the systems it seems like i am adding to many systems. and repeating this for every talk group. but anyways....... I was wondering if the home patrol was a waste of time and money i was thinking about going with the extreme set up.

I would recommend it thoroughly. Make sure if you plan on using it in a vehicle, you get the GPS accessory for it. It is simple to hookup, so don't worry about it. Took a trip to the Denver area from here in ND, and had the GPS hooked up. Every time I crossed a state line or county line it would update it's location, and start scanning the local systems. You might have to play with the range function a little to get it to pick up more or less depending on what you want to hear but as for me, it works great!!! I would highly recommend it.

lep

no audio problem

I like the HP-1 that I bought in Oct 2010 so much that I have now purchased a second one. I have no idea how the one that the purchaser sent back sounded but both of mine sound just fine, when used in my auto there is not audio problem (I happen to drive an auto noted for a quiet interiod though).

I recommend the HP-1, I find the receiver sensitive and have no problems with it when travelling and using it in my hotel room.

LEP

rwier

I like the HP-1 that I bought in Oct 2010 so much that I have now purchased a second one. I have no idea how the one that the purchaser sent back sounded but both of mine sound just fine, when used in my auto there is not audio problem (I happen to drive an auto noted for a quiet interiod though).

I recommend the HP-1, I find the receiver sensitive and have no problems with it when travelling and using it in my hotel room.

LEP

I could have written the same, with the exception of "when used in my auto there is not audio problem (I happen to drive an auto noted for a quiet interiod though)".

I'm in a Ram Hemi 2500, windows open, after market exhaust system (fun type), so quite naturally, I installed a powered speaker on the door post near my left ear. Also, I never once thought about blaming Uniden for this situation, lol.

Rob

Tramagod

You may also try going to eham.net and accessing their product review link. It's product reviews written by actual users, not product consultants that don't know what they're doing.

dabiker

my review of the home patrol .........Well i got the homepatrol about a week ago now and to tell ya the truth i think the extreme software is a rip off at a $100.00. I would not advise anyone to get it until the price goes down on the software, it was not worth it in my option. The scanner itself is not bad. The programing is easy but it loads up way to many channels for the search area and what i wanted to search no control over that. The audio is a little weak and hard to hear in my diesel pickup. the reception is fair to good. I live 23 miles from the closest tower and i only get about 2 to 4 bars on the system analyzer. For the money they could have gavin ya some other type of holder the desk top stand it works ok if you intend on staying at home with the unit and i think a nice belt would have been a nice throw in item .

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

To each their own. I have had the HP since it came out in Oct 2010.

It is an excellant scanner. You can do so much with it. If you are an 'expert' or neub you can operate and enjoy this scanner for hours on end.

The extreme upgrade was offered to early buyers for a reasonable price. Maybe $100 is too steep but really; the free upgrades are amazing and Paul O is a standup guy.

How many people in the corporate world spend time and energy responding to questions and suggestions like Paul does?

I think the audio is fine. I don't think it is all that sensitive but my 396T sure wasn't either.

In a perfect world I would have a companion scanner like one of the Uniden XT's but right now I remain faithfully in love with my HP.

To the original poster, I hope you enjoy it.

Araxen

I just got my HP1 this week and I love it. The big selling point for me was the LCD screen and how good the tags are for what is being listened to at the moment. Sentinel could be a little bit better but it does what it's supposed too. I have no problems with the audio but I plan on strictly using it at home and it won't leave the house. I did order a Diamond SRH789 antenna because the I feel the antenna that comes with it is decent but it's hit or miss with some local analog stations. I picked up towns I didn't normally get on my old scanner but I have problems picking up some that I used to get on my old scanner. I figure the Diamond antenna will fix that problem. It picks up Digital(Starcom here in Illinois) but I don't live too far from the tower so it would be pretty hard for me not to have a good signal so I can't comment on digital reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.