i bought a wrong antenna, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattybohhoe

hey i gota bct15 base scanner and the antenna i bought is a ham radio. and its gota screw on end connection ( the end that goes into the scanner ) cna i change that to fit hte bct15?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sure. What antenna did you buy? or can you provide a pictute of the connector?

Most likely, the antenna has a PL259 connector, and a simple adaptor is avaiable at radioshack, as well as various ham radio and scanner sales companies.

If the connector on your antenna (or coax) looks like this
423763.jpg

Then you would use this To connect them.
423764.jpg

The radioshack part number is 278-120

The link is...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...igkw=pl259+bnc&kw=pl259+bnc&parentPage=search

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
nattybohhoe said:
yeah thats it ok, thanks so they do make adapaters? or should i cut the end and put a bnc on there? thanks

I was editing my post to provide more info, and the RS link is added as well.

I just use the adaptors. They add a small ammount of signal loss, but not enough for 99% of users to worry about.

nattybohhoe

ohok lol thanks. i called my local radioshack and they dont have it :( so i dno guess i gota order it offline, will it mess with performance when i use an adapteR

Grog

Banned
If your store is close, you can just have them to order and it can be sent to the store for free. If they ship it to you, they'll probably charge more in shipping than what it's gonna cost.

There is a small loss of signal, but it would not be noticed by 99% of users. What bands are you going to be using the scanner to listen to the most?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I hope you don't plan on monitoring Harford or Baltimore city with the BCT15; it won't do it....however it will handle Baltimore county and - for now, at least - Anne Arundel...

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.