I bought an SL7550 that appears to be old Disney World property

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6VVM

I just grabbed an SL7550 off eBay for [what I think was] a great price. The seller underpromised and overdelivered in my opinion. Upon reading the radio, it seems to have come from Disney World. I'm just curious if anyone knows, are they moving away from MotoTRBO? Or upgrading to "e" units? Or, is this simply and sadly due to COVID-related downsizing of operations?

The radio had tons of Cap+ sites and contacts in it, some text messages, an enhanced privacy key and RAS key (obviously not readable)...but it makes me think, if the system was still operational, they surely would have wiped these radios, lest they find themselves back into coverage range. So, I'm thinking they are moving to a different system.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The Florida site is converting to LTE WAVE. But yeah likely it was pulled from the crusher. RadioONE is the owner of said cap+ system.

W6VVM

The seller has several for sale which makes me think it’s less likely to just be a stolen one-off. SN is worn but legible.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Im amazed theres updates to that site. The best stolen radio database is NCIC. I was stopped on traffic stop although there was nothing "routine" about it, who assumed no peon amateur radio citizen could have Motorola's mine my radios were checked for FREE thru NCIC. All clear! Ha!

Ive had one from Disney before, it was a beat to crap sl7550 for 100 bucks I was planning on doing something with but ended up with something nicer. I got the codeplug saved somewhere, totally encrypted tho like you found out. Theres a lot of crap on there isnt there

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
The best stolen radio database is NCIC.
Agreed but good luck getting someone to check them for you without being labeled as a thief yourself. A lot of cops will just assume you shouldn't have the radios to begin with, and no amount of explaining will easily change their mind.
Ive had one from Disney before, it was a beat to crap sl7550 for 100 bucks I was planning on doing something with but ended up with something nicer. I got the codeplug saved somewhere, totally encrypted tho like you found out. Theres a lot of crap on there isnt there
Obviously, they have an op-sec issue if their radio gear is just leaking out on to the street without being wiped, even if they were intended to be destroyed. The fact their migrating to Nitro and Wave doesn't mean that the issue is insignificant either as I'm sure plenty of users are probably still on the Cap+ system.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Agreed but good luck getting someone to check them for you without being labeled as a thief yourself. A lot of cops will just assume you shouldn't have the radios to begin with, and no amount of explaining will easily change their mind.

Yup, I had to go to the station and they had to tear open the evidence bag and return my property after the ADA sent the email to give it up

AESFTW

Premium Subscriber
I know of an individual who used to work with RadioOne who would repair a bunch of the broken radios and others would either be saved or scrapped. Im not talking one or two radios but hundreds. The radios are useless on the system as obviously the crypto and RAS are wiped, but seeing the codeplugs built for such a system is impressive. While it would certainly help the listing on radioreference supplying all the info, it is all mute anyways as encryption takes care of the scanners and RAS takes care of the random pop-up subscribers. Ive seen tons, I dont currently own any, but there are tons of retired Disney radios out there. While it is of course possible, I highly doubt they are stolen. Regarding Genesis, NCIC is the best but there are still some that use the Genesis tool including me. I like to have a clue regarding the history of the radios that I buy, sell, and program.

Firebuff880

Obviously, they have an op-sec issue if their radio gear is just leaking out on to the street without being wiped, even if they were intended to be destroyed. The fact their migrating to Nitro and Wave doesn't mean that the issue is insignificant either as I'm sure plenty of users are probably still on the Cap+ system.

So they know they have a problem, but politics prevent them from doing much right now.

NO they are not going to Nitro & Wave .. But they are leaving the Trbo system soon.

cajunjerry

Im amazed theres updates to that site. The best stolen radio database is NCIC. I was stopped on traffic stop although there was nothing "routine" about it, who assumed no peon amateur radio citizen could have Motorola's mine my radios were checked for FREE thru NCIC. All clear! Ha!

Not supposed to use NCIC for personal use.

ecps92

Don't be fooled by the thought that it is all clear due to No NCIC Record.
many items don't make it, or get put in under a model # vs serial.

And NCIC only retains them for 2 yrs, then poof, so anything is possible. Buyer beware

Can't tell you how many stolen phones are in there by the phone # alone, not the Serial #

Firebuff880

Nitro/CBRS was the last rumor I heard but I've been out of the loop for a good while now and things probably have changed. If you're able to share, what's the new technology?

Sonim Phones on FirstNet as built by AT&T if my source is correct ---- It's the FirstNet part that is still a ? mark ..

So they had a radio system, went to Nextel and shutdown the radio system, Nextel died an ugly death so they built a radio system, that is being shutdown in favor of a cellular solution.. To paraphrase others " History is bound to repeat itself if no one learns from it.. ".

TRBO on property in Orlando will be gone by years end with the possible exception of a few simplex cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.