I can't pick up Scott Co or Washington Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

odontia32m

I reloaded my scanners from RR. I can not pick up Scott county. I had 2 hits from ems in several days. Washington county is also dead quiet. This is happeneing on multiple scanners.

I have all surrounding towers inputed via RR on roam and the talk groups via RR download also. The same as I did 6 months ago. Unfortunetly I don't have the old programming.

I have tried this over and over with Winn 500 and PSR500 with the same results. Is the RR data correct?

odontia32m

How would I go about checking the accuracy of the RR data base on Scott and Washington Counties? Anyone? Anyon care to post or email me a snip of their scott and washington county programming so I can compare?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Re: I Can't Pick Up Scott Co or Washington Co

Odontia32m

Attached is a slightly modified WIN500 file of my own for ISP District 45.

Here's the summary:
- Washington County SO on 151.445 is NXDN - format is unmonitorable
- Salem PD on 155.5200 is NXDN - format is unmonitorable
- Scott County FD on 151.2125 is Analog ONLY FOR DISPATCH, operations are NXDN - format is unmonitorable

Washington County Law Enforcement (SO and SPD) are also on SAFE-T, but are Encrypted.

Make sure you have the Fleenortown, Pekin, Salem, and Henryville Hoosier SAFE-T sites programmed in to listen to Scott/Washington County (what's not encrypted). Also make sure they have the "rebanded" band plan programmed.

Send me a PM if you have other questions.

Attachments

• District 45.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 108

odontia32m

thanks!

Thanks no wonder wash is not listed. I did a wildcard and there are 3 hits that are Scott and not listed. Evidently the RR data base is wrong if 3 hours of wildcard listening is evident.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Search through the attached and see if there's stuff here not listed in the database. This is a list of FCC licenses for both counties...

Just remember, all the admins are volunteers on this site, and we can't update everything all the time. There's always changes, and if we don't have contacts in certain areas... well we don't get updates until someone points them out.

Attachments

• Scott and Washington.pdf
    112.7 KB · Views: 222

odontia32m

Search through the attached and see if there's stuff here not listed in the database. This is a list of FCC licenses for both counties...

Just remember, all the admins are volunteers on this site, and we can't update everything all the time. There's always changes, and if we don't have contacts in certain areas... well we don't get updates until someone points them out.

Thanks, I had no idea how RR built the data base. Is it possible they went encryted in Scott County?

The 3 hits were EMS and IIRC 1 of the 3 were in the data base already. No other data base hits for Scott.

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Encrypted or possibly a simple change of PL/DPL tones...

And the IMPORT function of WIN500 ignores ENCRYPTED talkgroups and NXDN formats during the import process...

odontia32m

I have all my wild cards from last night and I will post the ones unaccounted for or I can not identify. At this point I am betting E.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
28720 - ISP District 45 Dispatch
28787 - A patch/special use (+3) of Talkgroup 28784, INDOT Falls City Traffic Management
31696 - Floyd County SO Dispatch
31520 - Clark County Fireground 5

odontia32m

OK I loaded the Scott County conventional freqs and the answer is now clear. They are encryted. As we all know the Pro-197 will not sound on digital encryption but it showed Austin, Scottsburg and the County were scrambled on conventional.

Ain't this a crock. There are some EMS in the clear.

aaron315

OK I loaded the Scott County conventional freqs and the answer is now clear. They are encryted. As we all know the Pro-197 will not sound on digital encryption but it showed Austin, Scottsburg and the County were scrambled on conventional.

Based on the emission designation associated with some of the conventional licenses I would speculate that they are using NXDN.

aaron315

NXDN known under the brand names NEXEDGE (Kenwood) and IDAS (Icom) is a digital protocol not currently supported by any scanner. I provided a link to the wiki article in my last post.

odontia32m

NXDN known under the brand names NEXEDGE (Kenwood) and IDAS (Icom) is a digital protocol not currently supported by any scanner. I provided a link to the wiki article in my last post.

The only reason I have had a scanner for 37 years since I was 10 with my Bearcat IV was to hear local law enforcement. I guess I am put back, some animals are more equal I guess. Is there a legal way around this?

aaron315

It depends. The voice traffic over the digital carrier could also be encrypted. If that is the case, there is no way to monitor the traffic. If it is NXDN digital and not encrypted then you can use a special computer program to decode the voice traffic. It involves connecting a discriminator tap from the scanner to a computer running the free DSD software.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If it is NXDN digital and not encrypted then you can use a special computer program to decode the voice traffic.
Or buy a NXDN radio. As a result of some railroads migrating some of their radio traffic to NXDN, usually in yards or terminals, more and more railfans are buying VHF NXDN transceivers from either Kenwood or Icom.

Status
Not open for further replies.