I crossed over to the Dark Side Uniden to Whistler!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what came over me but I woke up one morning and decided to sell all my Uniden scanners. For some reason all Uniden related software, Sentinel, Butel, and ProScan started to confuse me. I'm not bashing Uniden or the software developers. I've used them for many many years without any serious problems and promoted them aggressively.

I turned 71 this month and my so called "Golden Years" are disappointing. More like the "Rusty Years". I'm pretty sure I've suffered brain fog from two or three mini strokes in the last nine years after having two open heart surgeries. I started to have difficulty with the BCD99P2, BCD436HP & BCD536HP. I had previously sold my SDS200 partially due to the new learning curve. I was also starting to have difficulty with the displays on the 436HP and 536HP due to being somewhat dim and the small fonts.

As a result I decided to try Whistler's TRX-1 and TRS-2 scanners. I used to own GRE and GRE built Radio Shack scanners for decades, and I recall just about everything was more intuitive for me, hardware and software related. For a couple of days I thought I made a big mistake but all of the sudden it all came back to me and I'm totally happy with the change. Even with a 14 site P25 Phase-1 simulcast system here in Macomb County, Michigan, at my home both the Whistler's very well. I know that probably won't be the case when I'm on the move in my SUV, but I can deal with that. My very first Whistler scanner was their WS-1098 when it first came out and I regretted selling that.

Anyone else feel like they're loosing it? :confused:

NOTE:
What is a ministroke or TIA? A ministroke is also known as a transient ischemic attack (TIA). It occurs when part of the brain experiences a temporary lack of blood flow. This causes stroke-like symptoms that resolve within 24 hours. Unlike a stroke, a ministroke on its own doesn't cause permanent disabilities.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Its ok I will not hold it aginst you.
I still have my TRX-s and can help you out.
Sorry I missed out on the massive sale off as I can always use more in my rack.
If you need anything I will be glad to help.

:) Thanks! I figured you would have seen my adds as you've purchased a lot from my over the years. I didn't want to PM you as I didn't want to pressure you into buying anything. Sorry.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Depending on location, they are still good scanners. Due to pure luck, I have no simulcast problems even though our state system has a reputation for being bad. The analog and new digital also work well, and since I grew up wit the V scan folder system, haven't faced programming problems until I tackled a couple of different DMR brands.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what came over me but I woke up one morning and decided to sell all my Uniden scanners. For some reason all Uniden related software, Sentinel, Butel, and ProScan started to confuse me. I'm not bashing Uniden or the software developers. I've used them for many many years without any serious problems and promoted them aggressively.

I turned 71 this month and my so called "Golden Years" are disappointing. More like the "Rusty Years". I'm pretty sure I've suffered brain fog from two or three mini strokes in the last nine years after having two open heart surgeries. I started to have difficulty with the BCD99P2, BCD436HP & BCD536HP. I had previously sold my SDS200 partially due to the new learning curve. I was also starting to have difficulty with the displays on the 436HP and 536HP due to being somewhat dim and the small fonts.

As a result I decided to try Whistler's TRX-1 and TRS-2 scanners. I used to own GRE and GRE built Radio Shack scanners for decades, and I recall just about everything was more intuitive for me, hardware and software related. For a couple of days I thought I made a big mistake but all of the sudden it all came back to me and I'm totally happy with the change. Even with a 14 site P25 Phase-1 simulcast system here in Macomb County, Michigan, at my home both the Whistler's very well. I know that probably won't be the case when I'm on the move in my SUV, but I can deal with that. My very first Whistler scanner was their WS-1098 when it first came out and I regretted selling that.

Anyone else feel like they're loosing it? :confused:

NOTE:
What is a ministroke or TIA? A ministroke is also known as a transient ischemic attack (TIA). It occurs when part of the brain experiences a temporary lack of blood flow. This causes stroke-like symptoms that resolve within 24 hours. Unlike a stroke, a ministroke on its own doesn't cause permanent disabilities.
I don't participate in RR that much anymore, there's a pretty good core of members who are not on anymore, I'm a registered nurse, with my Master's in public health in addition to being a retired newspaper man.

I'm not saying go to the emergency room by ambulance, but I would schedule a doctor's appointment at your earliest convenience LOL.

By the way, I loved GRE radios well over a decade ago. The GRE Pro 96 blew the doors off the Uniden BC 250d in 2003. You obviously don't live in an area that has simulcast distortion secondary to LSM. That's great! If you have any questions or need any help, don't ask me, hahaha. I can't remember.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't participate in RR that much anymore, there's a pretty good core of members who are not on anymore, I'm a registered nurse, with my Master's in public health in addition to being a retired newspaper man.

I'm not saying go to the emergency room by ambulance, but I would schedule a doctor's appointment at your earliest convenience LOL.

By the way, I loved GRE radios well over a decade ago. The GRE Pro 96 blew the doors off the Uniden BC 250d in 2003. You obviously don't live in an area that has simulcast distortion secondary to LSM. That's great! If you have any questions or need any help, don't ask me, hahaha. I can't remember.

I saw my cardiologist last Friday, first time in two years. My last surgery was in 2018 and I was doing so well he told me to wait a year unless I was having problems. When the problems started, so did COVID, so I held off. He did a EKG and I go back for an ECHO in a couple of weeks. Other than my BP being somewhat high he said no panic, he said sometimes surgery does cause minor brain damage! We'll see how it goes.

With regards to simulcast Michigan's MPSCS and especially Macomb County is pretty nasty with simulcast for a lot of people. Something weird about my home location seems to be immune. It may have something do do with two long walls of very big & tall pine trees on both sides of the sub entrance. They're right along side my house which is the first house at the entrance. I don't use any high gain antennas and no antennas are outside or up high. I'm fairly close to one tower site and not very close to any of the rest. Although I experimented a lot with various antennas and active multicouplers for air-bands and other stuff. I'm currently using a Remtronix rubber ducky on the TRX-2 and a tiny COMET Miracle Baby 1-1/2" antenna on the TRX-1 and I get full signal on both inside my house.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If nearly 30 posts in the past 6 days is not participating much, I'd love to know what being very active looks like! :oops:
Try looking further back, way back. This is not the first time you have been rude and offensive with members of radio reference. You can get all the likes you want from your buddies but I'm offended by your remarks. Keep it to yourself.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
trentbob...don't take this the wrong way but you need to have a little thicker skin. If ball-busting is now "offensive" then every one of us on here is guilty of it. I think we need to not get all worked up over a post on the interwebs.

wtp

FROM THE GUY WITH A HOLE IN HIS HEAD, STOP THE ARGUING.
there that is yelling.
we come here to help everyone and anyone.
keep it that way.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
@iMONITOR..I was a GRE guy too. I've owned both, still have my trusty PSR-800. I had to open up Sentinel to program up a 536 and scratched my head a few times. And I use CPS for APX, ASTRO25 etc. several times a week. Sometimes our brains just get the best of us. I blame mine not functioning as it should from binge drinking, fast women and working for the GOV for way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.