I.d.e.a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningman_77

What is it?

It's a speaker system for my br330t... i want to hook it up to somehing that is louder. Car speakers and a subwoofer may be able to do the job. The antenna jack on the 330t is where I will hook it up from...

JoeyC

It's a speaker system for my br330t... i want to hook it up to somehing that is louder. Car speakers and a subwoofer may be able to do the job. The antenna jack on the 330t is where I will hook it up from...

Your scanner most likely does not have the wattage to drive large speakers. You'll need an amplifier in between the two.

burningman_77

Yes. The jack that comes out of the top next to the antenna... This device will be lightweight and portable. Some simple wiring is necessary but the overall effect will be the same as a home sterio, So I hope. Think of building a subwoofer box in your car, add some speakers. Power comes from a 12 volt battery or a wall block...

hoser147

That earphone jack has limited db rating, so it would be necessary to either modify the scanner and open up the output, or as Joey stated to use an amplifier...........Hoser

af5rn

Hmmm... sort of a poor-man's ConvertaCom for the house/apartment/hotel room? Not a bad idea! Obviously, I'd rather have a mobile/base scanner to begin with, but for travelling with, it could be cool! Maybe make the top of it metal (for ground plane) and put a good antenna on it too.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Now why in the world do you need a woofer for a scanner? What are you listening to? Most all of the frequencies being broadcast won't even make it down to the cross-over frequencies that your woofer would "should" be set for...just rumble.

burningman_77

woofer...

In all honesty the woofer is for listening to AM/FM radio broadcasts... I do like to listen to my scanner as some sort of a boombox when there isn't much else to listen to... The woofer really isn't necessay, just an idea to make the thing louder (lets wake up the neighbors;))... af5rn- Sheet metal top for a ground plane? Didn't think about that... I was thinking maybe a removable antenna that can be stored inside of the box when not in use...

shaft

Pipe it thru a stereo receiver on one of the aux ports. I do this when Im working out in the garage. The receiver filters out some of the static/garble and not only amplifies the sound, its actually a bit clearer.

af5rn

af5rn- Sheet metal top for a ground plane? Didn't think about that... I was thinking maybe a removable antenna that can be stored inside of the box when not in use...
Yeah, it would still be removable for storage. But using sheet metal for the top, you can put a BNC connector on it to mount an antenna to (and pigtail it back to the scanner), or you can just use the top as a metal surface for sticking something like the magnetic Valor PMM3B on there, getting much better performance than with a duck.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any good reason to load this thing up with a woofer, lol. I'm not against good sound quality, but after all, don't you want it easily portable? Just a good quality midrange commo speaker, maybe taken out of an old Motorola speaker enclosure, and some acoustic backing would be fine for most applications.

But again, I like the concept!

Last edited:

sulk

Guess he could always make a switch to turn on/off or to send signal to the woofer, so that when he normally scans he doesnt have it on, then when listening to music he can turn it on.

Best of both worlds, with only a switch

burningman_77

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any good reason to load this thing up with a woofer, lol. I'm not against good sound quality, but after all, don't you want it easily portable?

But again, I like the concept!
Thank you. I came up with this idea after throwing back a couple, so it is kind of half-baked. I am still debating the woofer, it would be cool just because it's LOUD! But I do want this device to be somewhat portable, so I'm probably going to go with two car speakers instead. Paycheck coming this friday, I hope to get some supplies for the project, and will try to get some pictures on the web for you guys... I think some all-weather carpeting is in line for the housing...

Status
Not open for further replies.