I feel like a complete tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaduckfan

I need help. I'm trying to program my BC296D and BC796D scanners using the Scanner Control and DataBase Software provided with my scanner(s). Eugene Police, Springfield Police and Lane County Sheriff's Office (as you are all aware) changed over to the new whing-ding zip-a-dee-doo-daa system that reads like Greek that was translated by an Asian who learned English in India. I thought I was pretty good at radio stuff (I've programmed my own Kenwood radios and these same scanners before), but apparently I haven't kept up with the times, or something.

I have a friend that works for one of the local radio shops down here (he's a sales guy), and he gave me the information I should need to program these scanners right up, but it all looks, well, I went over already what it looks like to me. I can't even figure out similarities to try it "trial and error" style.

Can anyone throw me a clue? I hate asking, especially in a forum like this (all you radio geeks {said with much respect and as a compliment} are so far over my head with knowledge), but I don't even know where to start. Help...?

Dave

Attachments

• beauty in eye.jpg
    beauty in eye.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 380

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm not from Oregon. However, it looks like the Springfield PD and Eugene PD are merely conventional P25 frequencies. Enter in the frequencies in individual channels for Springfield, and set them to FM (or perhaps NFM) and the scanner will detect if it's P25 and will decode it if so.

The frequencies for those two agencies can be found here:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2224

As for the trunked system (Eugene-Lane Co), it's information can be found here:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5641

It's a Project 25 Standard system and will need to be programmed as a Type 2 / P25 800 system in your scanner. So you'll have to do a bit more playing around getting the sites in there that you want to hear (each site I think will have to go into its own bank in the scanner - from what i read in the BC796D user manual you can have one trunked system/site per bank. Then you'll have to program in all of the talk groups you want to hear (or run it in open mode and listen to all activity).

I'm only posting since nobody else has posted yet. I'm sure some very knowledgeable people are around to help you out. This was just something to help you get started. At the very least you should easily be able to program the conventional P25 frequencies for Eugene and Springfield PD into your scanner... that'll give you something to listen to while you mull over how best to set up the trunked system / sites in your scanner.

If you're not familiar, the RadioReference Datase is a great tool and can be found as a link at the top of any of the RR pages.

Also, the RR Wiki is a wealth of useful information

BC296D Wiki Article
BC796D Wiki Article

Mike

Mike

Baker845

justadunkfan sent me a email squad8151@yahoo.com and all info you got, and i see if i can walk you throw it. I live on coast Florence and was out that way (Eugene) Friday and the system worked good on bcd-396t. sent me email and i see what i can do. Also as the system needs to be programmed as a Type 2 / P25 UHF not 800 if you tryed 800 that could be why its wasn't working. Also some of the TG on system are ecrypted.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
justadunkfan sent me a email squad8151@yahoo.com and all info you got, and i see if i can walk you throw it. I live on coast Florence and was out that way (Eugene) Friday and the system worked good on bcd-396t. sent me email and i see what i can do. Also as the system needs to be programmed as a Type 2 / P25 UHF not 800 if you tryed 800 that could be why its wasn't working. Also some of the TG on system are ecrypted.

Ya know, I always debate whether I should try to help when I see a question in another state's forum... I end up doing it and giving wrong info. Thanks for clarifying for him that it was a UHF system. I _looked_ at the system but didn't even think about the fact that I told him it was an 800 mhz system. Again, thanks for correcting that.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.