I feel like a Newb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRabbit

Hey All,

I'm new around here, but not new to scanning. I've had my share of base and mobile units and these days I'm using the Pro-96. I've had it for quite a while and listen often, but coming around to these forums makes me feel like I know NOTHING! LOL :D

I'd LOVE a GRE PSR-500 but finances won't allow it for now...

I love how my family and friends think I'm the biggest geek on the planet until something happens that I have all the 4-1-1 about... I always think of the 2003 blackout... I was the first to know just how widespread it was... ;)

Anyhow, I'm sure there are features of the Pro-96 I haven't mastered... any tips you might share that I might not know? I do use Win96 to program it, but I feel I've barely scratched the surface... especially hearing you all talk advanced radio-geek :)

Look forward to hanging around here... I'm from NY (LI) by the way...

Amy

xpawel15x

Welcome aboard Amy! I also own the Pro-96 and it's relatively easy to program especially for you since you have Win96. If you need help programming anything in your area just let us know! Happy Scanning!

KE5BCP

Analog Man
Hey All,

I'm new around here, but not new to scanning. I've had my share of base and mobile units and these days I'm using the Pro-96. I've had it for quite a while and listen often, but coming around to these forums makes me feel like I know NOTHING! LOL :D

I'd LOVE a GRE PSR-500 but finances won't allow it for now...

I love how my family and friends think I'm the biggest geek on the planet until something happens that I have all the 4-1-1 about... I always think of the 2003 blackout... I was the first to know just how widespread it was... ;)

Anyhow, I'm sure there are features of the Pro-96 I haven't mastered... any tips you might share that I might not know? I do use Win96 to program it, but I feel I've barely scratched the surface... especially hearing you all talk advanced radio-geek :)

Look forward to hanging around here... I'm from NY (LI) by the way...

Amy

Welcome to the site, Amy!

You will find some interesting info in the Wiki concerning the Pro-96:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-96

Also, the RadioShack forum will have some good postings concerning it:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Good luck!

DRabbit

Thanks for the welcome guys. Jay, I added the wiki link to my bookmarks... could come in handy :) -- I've got my scanner programmed pretty well (I think) for my area... The one features I wish the 96 had was that "close call" thing I've read about recently. Years ago I used to search through frequency ranges just to see what I could find, but I don't do that as much anymore... stick mostly with the frequencies programmed in.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thanks for the welcome guys. Jay, I added the wiki link to my bookmarks... could come in handy :) -- I've got my scanner programmed pretty well (I think) for my area... The one features I wish the 96 had was that "close call" thing I've read about recently. Years ago I used to search through frequency ranges just to see what I could find, but I don't do that as much anymore... stick mostly with the frequencies programmed in.
First, I would like to also welcome you to the site.

Next, in reference to the "close call" thing (in all of its various forms and names), it is a useful tool if you are close to the transmitter. The range of these recent additions to scanners is pretty limited. With a normal public safety mobile transmitter (say 50 watts) you would have to be within about 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile for it to work reliably (depends on the terrain and frequency). Searching a frequency range will always get better results unless you are at the "scene" of something going on.

gcgrotz

Hi Amy:

Same here, everybody laughs at the scanners until the fire trucks go screaming down the next street or the Interstate is backed up.

Get to know the locals on your state's forum too.

DRabbit

Thanks Lou,

I guess it's one of those features that sounds real good in all the product descriptions, but in practice isn't quite as useful. I do live relatively close the our local police precinct and fire station, but definitely further than 1/4 mile.

GC... Isn't it the truth... I also remember when I was geekiest because I used email and the web every day... now I'm queen of tech-support in my family... LOL

I've been very happy with the Pro-96 for a couple of years now, but of course, I don't really know how the latest and greatest scanner might improve my listening... BTW, I did post over in the New York group last night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.