I feel like I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binger511

Feed Provider
I am planning on setting up a stream on an rtl sdr through discord so that I could listen to it remotely with very little latency. The frequency is going to be UHF NXDN. I was going to get THIS SDR reciever and hook it up to the RTL SDR app while running DSD+. I just feel like I'm missing something. Probably because it seems so cheap to monitor what would require a $300+ radio to listen to. Thanks everyone!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
As long as it falls within the 25 - 1750 Mhz range and you have an adequately strong signal of what you want to monitor, those should be enough. That being said, they aren't by any means the best or even really good SDR dongles, but I've got a couple of those and they serve me well enough for close by signals. I'm not sure if that antenna is the best for UHF though, but it may be 'good enough' as long as the signal is strong where you are.

Other than that, it should just be a manner of which software you use to tune, decode, and how you are going to pipe the audio into Discord.

boatbod

As long as it falls within the 25 - 1750 Mhz range and you have an adequately strong signal of what you want to monitor, those should be enough. That being said, they aren't by any means the best or even really good SDR dongles, but I've got a couple of those and they serve me well enough for close by signals. I'm not sure if that antenna is the best for UHF though, but it may be 'good enough' as long as the signal is strong where you are.

Other than that, it should just be a manner of which software you use to tune, decode, and how you are going to pipe the audio into Discord.
Got a bunch of them and they work ok for local (strong signal) public safety systems in the 700/800Mhz range with the supplied antenna. If you want to pull in more distant stations, or anything VHF/UHF you're going to need a better antenna.

Binger511

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info guys. looks like I'll have to look at some better antennas or see if this suits well enough. To stream through discord
I was going to use THIS software (VB Audio Banana). It should be interesting!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Thanks for the info guys. looks like I'll have to look at some better antennas or see if this suits well enough. To stream through discord
I was going to use THIS software (VB Audio Banana). It should be interesting!

There's more than one way to skin a cat, just use what gets the job done for you. I'd be interested to know how your project turns out. Are you going to have the audio going into a Discord server audio channel?

Binger511

Feed Provider
There's more than one way to skin a cat, just use what gets the job done for you. I'd be interested to know how your project turns out. Are you going to have the audio going into a Discord server audio channel?
Yeah that's the plan, I'll have the audio on a voice channel on a private server. I felt that was the best way to go since there's a pretty low latency, at least compared to broadcastify.

slicerwizard

You want to get an SDR that has a drifty reference oscillator and uses an MCX RF connector? How do you plan to attach a decent antenna?

Just get a decent SDR that uses sub- 1PPM hardware and a proper SMA RF connector. They're only $20-25.

a417

...and why use discord when you can stream to your LAN network, connect your phone via VPN and listen to the stream in near-realtime without discord even entering the conversation? With VLC on your phone you can even listen in background mode with the screen turned off...

Binger511

Feed Provider
You want to get an SDR that has a drifty reference oscillator and uses an MCX RF connector? How do you plan to attach a decent antenna?

Just get a decent SDR that uses sub- 1PPM hardware and a proper SMA RF connector. They're only $20-25.
Good point, didn't know the difference. Figure I'd spend what, like 5 dollars more for a better one. Why not

Status
Not open for further replies.