I finally get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GKS

Amazing. I've been out of the scanner world for so long I never thought I'd understand this BCT15, but I finally do. Quick keys are like little scanners of their own. You can stack them with anything you want. They remind me of banks but you have 99 of them instead of 10. I have all kinds of aircraft channels in key 4 for instance. If I want to listen to the Atlanta route I just move it into it's own key and scan it. Well, I don't have to tell you old timers this but It was like it just dawned on me what this scanner can do. Money well spent. Now if I can only decide on a base antenna.

n2mdk

You also have group quick keys under each system quick key so you can assign Atlanta to one of those and the other frequencies to other groups and then turn those on and off under System key 4.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Repeating from a post I made a while back:

The 7 stages of Dynamic Memory world view conversion (for those familiar with banked scanners) are:

Confusion :confused:
Frustration :(
Anger :mad:
The "Aha!" Moment :eek:
Understanding :)
Devotion :cool:
Willing Slave :D

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Dont Feel Bad! I've been there!

W4CRT
Dont feel too bad! For a very long time I wanted nothing to do with Dynamic Memory. I HATED it. I tried it out with a BC 246 portable. I hated it to the max. I sold the radio I hated it so much. Then I was in the market for a new scanner and the specs on the BCT-15 were too good to pass up. (Thanks Uniden) I went through all the stages UPman described. While I am not going to admitt the last step (denial) I am very devoted to my BCT-15 and its dynamic memory system. In fact, I even got rid of one of my 785s with the digital ability and purchased a 996T digital. The trick that kept me happy was keeping my other BC-785. The dynamic memory system while it is the better way to organize your listening desires, is still a pain in the neck if you just want to plug a quick frequency to monitor right away without going through menus. Thats where a regular scanner comes in.
My 785 just lets me push the numbers and monitor,thats it. SO for those quicky things, the 785 keeps me happy. For serious scanning, My BCT-15 and 996T take on the challenge.

Manny

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
HOLD, freq, HOLD lets you quickly plug in a frequency w/o going through menus.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I realize that but I find it easier on the 785 where I dont care what I put where. I can mess up all I want, go off frequency, ect. Not on my BCT 15, please, I HAVE to be careful there!....;-)

Manny

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Not sure where I see the difference. HOLD, freq HOLD holds on the entered frequency without storing it anywhere. You can then go off frequency (by scrolling up or down).

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
True, but like it has happened to me more than once, you hit the scan button or resume button once and the whole thing is gone. THEN you have to go back and do it all over again or search for it. With the old bank system, you enter it into a channel and you always know where it is! I run at least 4 scanners at once so accidents do happen. I just find it easier whith the old system, to find things if you accidently lose them.

Manny

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
UPMan said:
Repeating from a post I made a while back:

The 7 stages of Dynamic Memory world view conversion (for those familiar with banked scanners) are:

Confusion :confused:
Frustration :(
Anger :mad:
The "Aha!" Moment :eek:
Understanding :)
Devotion :cool:
Willing Slave :D

Willing Slave here, my sig has gone from a lot of gre/radio shacks and no unidens to several unidens and only 1 gre...and i am trying to find a home for it, i like the signal stalker better than the closecall with how it shows freq but that it is, not enough to keep the radio! lol come on bcd996T.....

N4GKS

The great part is taking your scanner and laptop on a trip, going here on this webpage, looking up the system, loading it on the scanner and bang you're listening to what you want. The days of manual programing have gone the way of crystal scanners. Computer control, what a godsend.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
W4CRT said:
The great part is taking your scanner and laptop on a trip, going here on this webpage, looking up the system, loading it on the scanner and bang you're listening to what you want. The days of manual programing have gone the way of crystal scanners. Computer control, what a godsend.

Actually, I prefer to program systems in advance and leave the laptop at home.

Have you learned how to "link" banks by assigning the same bank quickkey to several? I got the impression you figured that one out.

The same holds true for Group quickkeys within a system.

You're correct!!! You can really make the configurations of systems and groups bend over backwards like you never could with fixed sized banks. Depending on your needs (it takes carefull planning) the software (that I use) saves individual banks as separate files and also lets me create multitudes of scanner profile files of banks/groups of my own design to be downloaded to the scanner "en mass," so it's super easy to mix and match in software and load what's pertinent for where you are at the moment OR keep 'em all loaded since there's plenty of room in memory. If I'm in Los Angeles, I can shut down my main Philly banks while there and swap back on the flight home with only two system quickkeys in one temp loaded road-trip profile "PHL-LAX." Keeps it manageable. I think that's the equivalent of the virtual folders of the Pro-96 only not as rigid, globally.

I'm coming from the 396T point of view. I think the max. banks I've had was 70.

Aside: If a bank and/or group doesn't have a quickkey assigned, it's always ON. A small but important design consideration when creating your systems and groups and profiles.

Best,

Andy
Scannist

garys

Premium Subscriber
W4CRT said:

Even better, you find what you want here before the trip and program the scanner. Wait until you start to use start up keys. You'll wonder how you ever used a scanner without them.

The alphatags are great as well.

Yeah, I guess I'm a willing slave. 396, 996, BC15, and a BR330T.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.