I finally made it to the 21st Century

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Back in the dark ages, I started out on a Bearcat portable scanner that required physical crystals. A short time later I broke down and bought a Bearcat 250 and then a BC300. I bought a Yaesu FRG9600 and pretty much gave up listening to LE/Fire/related type of traffic, although I kept up with aviation.

The LW/MW/SW aspect got old as well, so I broke down and bought a BCD536HP today. A SDS100 is pending when the rush slows down. Until then, the programming isn't as easy as the old BC250 was, but it certainly does a lot more.

paranoia11

Back in the dark ages, I started out on a Bearcat portable scanner that required physical crystals. A short time later I broke down and bought a Bearcat 250 and then a BC300. I bought a Yaesu FRG9600 and pretty much gave up listening to LE/Fire/related type of traffic, although I kept up with aviation.

The LW/MW/SW aspect got old as well, so I broke down and bought a BCD536HP today. A SDS100 is pending when the rush slows down. Until then, the programming isn't as easy as the old BC250 was, but it certainly does a lot more.

I own one and it is a great scanner, except for the display darkness,how ever as soon as I get my new SDS 200 I will have my display issues fixed,then I will have 2 great scanners.
so enjoy your new scanner.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep the 536 is 6 years old now but I remember when it came out. It's going to be quite a learning curve.

If you can master the 536 you will be all ready for an SDS because they are basically operated the same way.

I actually started out with tunable monitors and when crystal controlled scanners became widespread it was quite a thrill.

Good luck with Sentinel, it's the same way you will program a SDS.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi GlobalNorth, you are going to like the Uniden BCD536HP scanner. That is a very good scanner. In addition to Sentinel, I also purchased both ProScan and BuTel Software's ARC536PRO. I am almost certain that ARC536PRO has a 30 day free trial period. I know that ProScan does have a 30 day free trial period. Each of the three programs have their strong points and I use all three at some point when working on my scanner files. Having all three programs at my disposal to work on my various scanner files lets me choose the best application for the task at hand for that day.

sdp40f500

I also have a 536, picked it up not long after it came out. I use Sentinel, I find it works well for me. I am also an old crystal guy, it took me about a month before I was finally able to get the 536 programmed. There is a ton of info on Radio Reference, just reading through it all will probably take you a month! I liked it so much I also bought a 436, but found I was getting simulcast issues walking/driving around that I don't get on the base 536. I have replaced that with an SDS100, and even use the same profile in Sentinel to update both (I just use the default screen colors on the 100). Simple!

Have fun with your new radio!

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a BCD325P2 myself so congrats on your purchase. I figure with all the stuff going on, it would be nice to monitor P25 I and II, NXDN and DMR as well as compliment my Pro-43, Pro-2004, Bearcat 210 and 210XL.

ScubaJungle

Take advantage of the fact that you have favorite lists with the 536! Favorite Lists really set apart the x36 and SDS from all the other scanners, IMO.
Make a list for anything you want to listen to, and make them as specific as you want for the most control. For example,
I have lists for:
Public Safety - All
Police only
Fire only
local police and fire only (my district,precint, etc)
aviation
milair
military
marine
parks & forest
business
industry
business/industry - active (the most active/interesting stuff of the prior lists)
rail
hospitals
and then I have a separate FL for huge systems like Florida Fleet Talk. Take advantage of this as you can have more control over what sites you listen to if the system has many
..etc..the list goes on.
Basically, I have a list for everything, and then on top of that, my favorites/most active of everything.
Doing this lets you have full control of what you want to hear.
for example - Instead of having Civil aviation and milair in the same FL, make two, so if you only want to listen to one, you can just turn the other off. This goes for everything else as well.
FL can be shut off/turned on in any order/combination, whenever you want. There are some lists I barely ever use, but I have them in case I do want/need to use them - in that case I wont have to 1. find the system in the full database, and 2. hope the full database has all the talkgroups for the system since you cant enable ID search for the full database

Status
Not open for further replies.