I finally registered here at this FANTASTIC site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech3

So thought I would say hello to all here, So----HELLO!!.
Anyway I have visited this site dozens if not 100,s of times to look at the frequencies for what ever state/town/city I may be in at that time to log those freqs in my walkie.

I have just recieved my 9th H.T that is a dual bander.
The reason I say its my 9th one is because I found these ht,s at an almost beyond belief low low price of $60 yes (SIXTY) dollars and I sell them to my local rescue squad and fire/ems etc guys and actually 2 of them were sold to sheriffs dept officers as back-up or regular use walkies.
And yes we still use vhf-uhf hi-lo freq bands here because of the mountains in which 800-900 mhz trunking systems just DO NOT work here.
These ht,s are 128 channels and have an alpha-numeric lcd display and instead of the frequency showing in the lcd display-you can actually program it to show like-pbc-so-or wpb fire etc

So as usual I come to this site to get the repeater inputs freqs and pl/dcs tones.
And yes these are a full 5watt out regardless of what the owners manual specs say which actually says 4watt.
So I hooked these up to a watt meter and every one ive tested swings a consistent 4.75 watts on vhf//uhf.

Again I cannot believe the low low prices on these ht,s and they are built very very well yet they are physically small in size, About the same size of a pack of marlboro 100,s cigs..
It uses a 7.4 volt 1800 ma aka 1.8 amp li-ion rechargeable battery that will run the ht for approx 12 hours with regular use.

The first ht I ordered came directly from china and took right 28 days to arrive, MY BAD lol as I found a ham radio shop in north carolina that carried these and thats where I have continued to order and only takes 3-4 days that way and the price is the same. again an AMAZING PRICE!!!

more info can be found by just using google search and just type in baofeng uv-5r.

OH AND YES IM YELLING HERE--IF YOU ORDER ONE OF THESE FROM WHOEVER-BE SURE TO GET THE PROGRAMMING CABLE!!!!!
As that is the best and easiest hassle free way to program these.
I will say its a downright mind bugging pain in the rear to do it using the keyboard and takes approx 10 mins to program each channel that way..

HERES THE SPECS

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-480MHz
Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
Output Power: 4 /1Watts
128 Channels
50 CTCSS and 104 CDCSS
Built-in VOX Function
1750Hz Brust Tone
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
LED Flashlight
Large LCD Display
Hight /Low RF Power Switchable
25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable
Emergency Alert
Low Battery Alert
Battery Saver
Time-out Timer
Keypad Lock
Monitor Channel
Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz
Dimensions (less antenna) 2.28" x 4.33" x 1.26" (W x H x D)
Box includes: Radio, Dual-Band Antenna, 1800 mAh Li-ion battery,
Belt Clip, Drop-in Charger, Ear/Mic, English Manual

tvtech3

Thanks mod(s) for letting this be posted here, I didnt know but did notice when I went to submit this thread that because im a newbie here that my first few threads will understandingly have to be checked out by a mod/admin before it posted here.

So again thanks, And thanks for your fantabulous site!!

tvtech3

Oh, Forgot to ad this.
These ht,s became avilable just this past march and the first batch had a audio problem, well if you want to call it a problem, Meaning, When you turned the volume all the way down (counter clockwise) the volume was still very audible.
And they were off freq just a tad.
The good news is that was only in the first batch and all others afterwords were all fixed as they should be and are now right on taget freq wise and and audio wise to.

puzzleriddle

hmm unless I missed something you left most important info. Brand , model cost & a website link to whatever your'e talking abou???

W2NJS

Don't be misled. On balance, the radios you're talking about are one cut above being toys, and in day-to-day use are no match for professional radios. If I were engaged in life safety work I would never, ever, trust my welfare to one of these radios. In addition, this type of radio has been extensively discussed in past threads on this Board. To gain a balanced view of the situation you might wish to do a search for them. Like so many other things in life, you get what you pay for.

tvtech3

hmm unless I missed something you left most important info. Brand , model cost & a website link to whatever your'e talking abou???

OOOps sorry.
Here ya go>>
Baofeng UV-5R

And to the other poster in this thread, No its not a motorola but they are a great little backup ht and as said I have sold several to leos and firemen/rescue members etc and they all love these little ht,s.

On many ham talk sites, many members/hams have just to bought this ht and the majority also love them to.

They seem to be built very well and a little tuff to.

There are many videos on youtube on this ht by those who have just purchased one.

Here is one here>> Baofeng UV-5R Review and Set-Up - YouTube

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh, Forgot to ad this.
These ht,s became avilable just this past march and the first batch had a audio problem, well if you want to call it a problem, Meaning, When you turned the volume all the way down (counter clockwise) the volume was still very audible.
And they were off freq just a tad.
The good news is that was only in the first batch and all others afterwords were all fixed as they should be and are now right on taget freq wise and and audio wise to.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those baofeng radios are nothing more than chinese toys when compared to a commercial quality public safety radio.
I woudn't have need for a chinese import...unless it was free.

n9zas

tvtech3

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those baofeng radios are nothing more than chinese toys when compared to a commercial quality public safety radio.
I woudn't have need for a chinese import...unless it was free.

n9zas

Well a good friend that I grew up with in wpb fl wirked at moto for 23 tears in boyntin bch fl and they closed that huge ht building place.

My friend said that they closed up because they were now going to switch the building of those ht,s to china,

So are you still sure you wouldnt buy a moto ht because it was made in china?

mancow

Database Admin
I have one I often keep on hand for ham stuff and it has all the PD, SO and Fire stuff in it. A few times I've used it when the issued radio is dead. There is no reason not to.

Use what you have as long as you have it until something better is available.

tvtech3

I have one I often keep on hand for ham stuff and it has all the PD, SO and Fire stuff in it. A few times I've used it when the issued radio is dead. There is no reason not to.

Use what you have as long as you have it until something better is available.

Thanks for your reply.
And just as you said, They are great for a backup.
They are not a walkie built like a moto but then again unless you are going to knock a person upside the head with it like an officer can with a moto to subdue a crrok, Then it will hold up fine.

W2NJS

Well a good friend that I grew up with in wpb fl wirked at moto for 23 tears in boyntin bch fl and they closed that huge ht building place.

My friend said that they closed up because they were now going to switch the building of those ht,s to china,

So are you still sure you wouldnt buy a moto ht because it was made in china?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the radio is manufactured is not the consideration. Rather, the engineering and the construction quality ARE the two factors that concern me when I buy a radio.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Looks fantastic for ?? $60.00....Where in the USA can u purchase it, i watched about five videos and none mentioned where purchased.....TY

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Looks fantastic for ?? $60.00....Where in the USA can u purchase it, i watched about five videos and none mentioned where purchased.....TY

A link to the USA distributor was provided in post #6 above.

tvtech3

As he said!! :)

Oh and btw, That is where I order mine from but I think he is outta stock on them as when I ordered mine from him, It was just that day the he got in his shipment of these and he told me that they are selling as fast as he can get them and when he get his shipment each time of 300 that they are all gone in 3 days lol.

And as I noted
BE SURE TO GET THE PROGRAMMING CABLE FOR IT FROM HIM!!!

And you can download the programming sw for free from that site also.

Have a great day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.