I finally took the plunge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rico47635

Well, I finally took the plunge. Radio Shack saw me coming! They put the Pro 197 on sale for $289.99 and I ordered one. Right now, half the local county is on digital and the other half isn't. I said I would never spend the money to get a digital scanner, but it appears I have made a liar out of myself. I hope I don't regret this.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It's a good scanner, I think you will like it.

I hope you have a data cable for the radio, as using the programming software of your choice will make your programming life much easier.

rico47635

Yes, I ordered the programming cable too. I don't know yet when the radio will arrive, but it shouldn't take longer than a week.

rico47635

Man, the scanner is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am excited about getting it! I have already started reprogramming my other scanners to fit my new master plan for scanning. Getting this Pro 197 is going to open up some things for my scanning hobby I haven't done yet. My PSR 100 will now be used mainly for monitoring the marine band. My BC898T will be used mainly for monitoring aircraft frequencies and nearby counties (just programmed one county's LTR system last night). The Pro197 will be dedicated to my home county PD/FD and State Police.

rico47635

Ha! I forgot about my trusty Radio Shack Pro 70. That scanner has been on constantly since I got it 6 years ago.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Have you looked at programming software yet? I would highly suggest it, I think you will thank yourself for using it.

K4APR

Have you looked at programming software yet? I would highly suggest it, I think you will thank yourself for using it.

Look no further than Don Starr.

bge1234

I don't need a digital scanner at the moment, but will likely be moving to an area where one would be necessary within the next year. Right now, these are 299.99 on Radio Shack's website. Is this an offer that's just too good to pass up, or should I wait until I actually need a digital scanner?

rico47635

Well, ain't dis a blip? The FedEx driver left one of those notices on the door. I know good and well that he DID NOT knock on my door. We have a 7 month old dog that goes absolutely nuts any time anyone sets foot on the property. She knows who the mail lady is, and still barks like it's going out of style every time the mail gets delivered. There's no way the FedEx driver knocked on the door. I called FedEx and they were no help. Now I have to wait until tomorrow. Me no likey. :(

rico47635

I don't need a digital scanner at the moment, but will likely be moving to an area where one would be necessary within the next year. Right now, these are 299.99 on Radio Shack's website. Is this an offer that's just too good to pass up, or should I wait until I actually need a digital scanner?

Well, let me put it to you this way. When I first started looking into a digital scanner, they were over $500. The price eventually came down to $400, but it's been a years long wait. When I saw them on sale for under $300, I had to jump on it. They may eventually get down to that price every day, but I don't want to have to wait several more years for it to happen. Every now and then RS puts on a good sale, and this just happened to be one of those times.

rico47635

I checked on the Win500 software, but I haven't decided whether I will go with it or go the old fashioned way and program the thing myself. I am on vacation until after the 1st of the year, so I have the time to do this manually. When I first got my BC898T, I thought it would be a bear to program, but, after programming both an EDACS and LTR system into it, it turned out to not be as difficult as I thought. I've never done a Motorola system though. I guess I will find out when I have the radio in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.