I Find It Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcisive

if not interesting, that from day to day or mainly evenings from one to the next, The reception can be dead perfect quiet on nearly all channels with reception of channels that are far in excess of 60 miles come in as if they were around the corner,.........then on a given evening not only does the quality of those same channels sound full of crackles and noise but even quite a few that are close enough and always dead quiet perfect can even be a bit on the noisy side.

Anyone here that can explain what that's all about. I would imagine for the most part channels like these (which also are almost all in the 800mhz range) they are "line of sight" for the most part of course. But it's really disconcerting as I would want to blame the antenna but then the following day everything is dead quiet perfection again. Very strange. I suppose atmospheric conditions have something to do with this? It's also been in the 60's and very clear here all week, but still the transmissions are sucking quite a bit.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That's Radio! All of the things you mentioned (distance, weather, night, day, terrain) all affect how and where radio signals travel. Now add to that your antenna, height, power, coax and you can see how it can change from time to time.
BB

ptburton11

Signals in the 800 Mhz spectrum and higher are highly attenuated by fog/temperature inversion. I have noticed that strongly in the evenings, nights, and morning when the fog rolls in. Later in the morning when the fog burns off things come back. That may be what you're noticing.

SOFA_KING

EMI / RFI from electronic devices in your home. Computers are a well known source of noise, but other devices like Uverse boxes have been known to generate a lot of wideband garbage.

That's the real world of radio these days. You can vastly reduce noise by good grounding practices and by clamping all CPU type device leads with ferrite chokes.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.