I forgot about this Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Found my old friend while moving crap around up in my attic. I was hanging an antenna up there and started opening boxes to see what was in them.......The blue backlight seems a little weak from when she was a virgin.....

Attachments

• DSCN0073.jpg
    DSCN0073.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,732

grumpy_hermit

I have one as well and it is deserving of a comfy retirement. It still works fine but the backlight has given up the ghost and Ohio's MARCS has greatly diminished its usefulness to me. I also have the portable counterpart, the PRO-39. Both have been very durable and reliable. :)

K

kb0nly

You can repair the backlight, kits on eBay using an electroluminescent material behind the display, pretty neat actually.

I used to have one similar to that years ago.

grumpy_hermit

Thanks for the backlight repair tips. Maybe I'll repair it and hand it off to someone that can still get some use from it.

Eng74

The Pro-2006 is a classic, still have mine and do not use it all the time but she still gets used once in a while when it is hitting the fan.

mrkelso

Well, i placed her back into service in the little shack and i am going to repair that backlight.

Attachments

• DSCN0076.jpg
    DSCN0076.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 990

jak122

I have two of them, both are modified.
This is the highly modified one:

Attachments

• Modified 2006.jpg
    Modified 2006.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 905

jak122

That one has the CE-232 computer interface, the 6400 memory channels, 455khz output (in back), discriminator tap (in front), SCA, switchable and adjustable preamp 0-20db I think and some more stuff I can't remember. Internal mods to improve squelch and audio I think

It is housed in a metal box too

No trunking and/or digital of course, but it is otherwise a real beast, pulls in all sorts of stuff still

mrkelso

MIne only has the mod to open up the 800 area, i have the part on order to repair the backlight. This beast has better audio sound then my BCT15X and my 996XT

mrkelso

I had Bill Cheeks book that covered all the Mods for this machine, but i'll be dam if i know what i did with it. Anyone have a text file with the mods written down?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
They are no doubt scattered all over the net by now. Mods.DK, certainly many other sites too. Using your favorite search tool ought to bring them all up at some point...73 Mike

mrkelso

They are no doubt scattered all over the net by now. Mods.DK, certainly many other sites too. Using your favorite search tool ought to bring them all up at some point...73 Mike

I'm off to take a look and see what i can dig up.

jak122

I have all three books by Mr. Cheek that cover the Pro-2004-2005-2006 series of modifications.

The majority of those were done by myself on that scanner pictured.

There are however, plenty more mods to be done....

mrkelso

I have all three books by Mr. Cheek that cover the Pro-2004-2005-2006 series of modifications.

The majority of those were done by myself on that scanner pictured.

There are however, plenty more mods to be done....

I didn't know that The Late Bill Cheeks had 3 books, i only knew about the one i had. What did the others cover?

grumpy_hermit

I have one as well and it is deserving of a comfy retirement. It still works fine but the backlight has given up the ghost and Ohio's MARCS has greatly diminished its usefulness to me. I also have the portable counterpart, the PRO-39. Both have been very durable and reliable. :)

Duh! I dug mine out and discovered that it's a 2005 instead of a 2006. I don't know what the difference is but they look similar enough to have fooled me. :p

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If nothing else, these older scanners are fine for adding a discriminator tap to so you can dedicate them to monitoring a trunking controller (Unitrunker) or various data transmissions, such as AIS, or ACARS, or, where legal, paging.

Status
Not open for further replies.