• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I found a great BT audio accessory for the G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamHLG

I may have found the perfect accessory for my G5.

These are open-ear wireless bone conduction headphones. To use their description, "unlike traditional headphones that send sound through the ear canals, our patented bone conduction technology delivers audio through the cheekbones. With nothing inside or over your ears, enjoy total awareness and comfort while you listen".

I gotta tell you guys - it is freaking AMAZING! They are featherweight and do not go into your ears. When paired to the G5 via BT, you can listen to the radio while your ears are wide open and you can listen to and carry on other conversations with other people like normal, while hearing radio traffic, and they can't hear a thing! The audio is completely silent and is transmitted into your brain through some kind of vibration black magic via your cheek bone. It is like hearing perfectly clear flawless digital audio in my brain but my ears remain fully functional for normal conversation. It will be hard to take these off because they're incredibly lightweight and it does not even feel like you have it on. It takes a bit of brain adjustment as its like simultaneous audio tracks into your brain - its really like nothing I've ever experienced. It really does allow me to monitor G5 audio traffic completely inconspicuous to anyone in my surroundings. However they do ask what kind of gadget it is and then want to try it.

As for BT pairing, you'll need to wait until the 1.3 firmware is released. However, I can confirm it pairs to the G5 on the 1.3 beta ;).

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The price :eek:

There are a few others that make and sell bone shakers like what the OP posted. Not all are BT though and it's anyone's guess as to how they compare with the OP's choice. Most of the other brands are significantly cheaper, even the models that use BT 5.0. Most are under $70 or so it seems.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
I'm on 1.3 so I definitely don't need something that atrocious. The buds work just fine.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
I haven't tried these and have no current plans to purchase them, BUT keep in mind that according to the OP these actually WORK with the G5 on the beta.
That maybe worth the cost of entry

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
I have had the AfterShokz for about 6 months and can confirm they are sweet for a number of reasons. They also work great for phone calls also, being you can be in a noisy environment and since they are picking up the vibration of the sound, none of the background noise is heard. Pricey? Oh yeah. Worth the price? Oh yeah. Will cheaper products work as well? Dunno.

AdamHLG

In response to the various comments, I can say that yes these are expensive, and there are lots of choices on the market for headphones, earbuds, etc. So it may not be for you, but I love them. As for the question on a recommendation for BT devices that work on 1.2 firmware, I have none because nothing worked for me on FW 1.2 (but search for posts as I have seen devices posted that work). I can say however that on 1.3 beta, my Airpods and Powerbeat Pros also worked, so I suspect many BT choices will be available when 1.3 is released. I can not imagine it will be too much longer until 1.3 is released at this point. But this vibration cheekbone technology is wild - that was the main point of my post.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
In response to the various comments, I can say that yes these are expensive, and there are lots of choices on the market for headphones, earbuds, etc. So it may not be for you, but I love them. As for the question on a recommendation for BT devices that work on 1.2 firmware, I have none because nothing worked for me on FW 1.2 (but search for posts as I have seen devices posted that work). I can say however that on 1.3 beta, my Airpods and Powerbeat Pros also worked, so I suspect many BT choices will be available when 1.3 is released. I can not imagine it will be too much longer until 1.3 is released at this point. But this vibration cheekbone technology is wild - that was the main point of my post.

Your post made me go back and check my ability to pair under beta 1.3.
I was able to pair with an older Beats Solo2 and an older Plantronics Voyager Legend. With both, I do get the activation beeps if a transmission comes in, but hey at least they work!

I only pair my G5 with a Docoder bluetooth accessory hooked up to my AUX input on my headunit in my car, but I will go out later to see if it pairs with my Prius.

I guess I completely missed the broadening of the BT profile under 1.3.
Thanks!

AdamHLG

With both, I do get the activation beeps if a transmission comes in, but hey at least they work!

Make sure in the PPS software that Tab D7, General Setting, BT Headset Setting, that you have "BT Headset Incoming Call Notification" unchecked.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! BTW- it will pair with 2013 Toyota Prius head unit, but will not pass the audio- I will see the call come in as on the head unit, but no sound. I’ll fool around with it some more.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
A pair of wired ear buds dubbed U8I worked on 1.2 but they sounded like crap for me so I didn't use them much. I don't know where they came from because they were sitting around at work for a long time and nobody claimed them.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I may have found the perfect accessory for my G5.

These are open-ear wireless bone conduction headphones. To use their description, "unlike traditional headphones that send sound through the ear canals, our patented bone conduction technology delivers audio through the cheekbones. With nothing inside or over your ears, enjoy total awareness and comfort while you listen".

I gotta tell you guys - it is freaking AMAZING! They are featherweight and do not go into your ears. When paired to the G5 via BT, you can listen to the radio while your ears are wide open and you can listen to and carry on other conversations with other people like normal, while hearing radio traffic, and they can't hear a thing! The audio is completely silent and is transmitted into your brain through some kind of vibration black magic via your cheek bone. It is like hearing perfectly clear flawless digital audio in my brain but my ears remain fully functional for normal conversation. It will be hard to take these off because they're incredibly lightweight and it does not even feel like you have it on. It takes a bit of brain adjustment as its like simultaneous audio tracks into your brain - its really like nothing I've ever experienced. It really does allow me to monitor G5 audio traffic completely inconspicuous to anyone in my surroundings. However they do ask what kind of gadget it is and then want to try it.

As for BT pairing, you'll need to wait until the 1.3 firmware is released. However, I can confirm it pairs to the G5 on the 1.3 beta ;).

So I don't own a G5 but I saw your post. I didn't even know bone conduction headphones were a thing but I was so intrigued I ordered a pair. It's been a week since I got them and I have to say, it's been one of my favorite purchases in a long time. I love how I can hear everything around me and still listen. They were a little expensive but I have to say I don't regret buying them at all. Thanks for the recommendation!

fmulder13

Thank you so much for the recommendation! I’ve had my Aftershokz for 5 days now. They’re fantastic with beta firmware 1.4. I do notice beginnings of transmissions get a bit clipped, and sometimes I lose short transmissions. Anyone else notice this?

AdamHLG

I am on firmware 1.3 beta and I get the same clipped transmissions you describe.

There was a post on another thread regarding BT 2.0 that explains why this occurs (while I am not an expert, it makes perfect logical sense to me, so despite the fact that I read it on the internet, I assume it's true in this case. ;)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
To add a bit of info to this thread, I just re-tested my Blu RSM and it now does pair with my Blu RSM. So the updates to the bluteooth protocol Unication is making is an improvement.
I did not purchase from this site, i got it from Klein Electronics but its not on their site anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.