• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I found a great BT audio accessory for the G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4RBT

I wonder if a bone conduction earphone would bypass the part of my ear that is causing tinnitus (constant whistles that sometimes beat together) and the high frequency loss. I have seen bone conduction headsets for fire department use to overcome the losses caused by the work environment. Only, they are about a $1000 a pop. They are specific to the radio and no BT.
It may be simpler to wait for new hearing aids the have BT.
I like the idea of connect to the head in a vehicle. My Nissan Frontier has connectivity and it is easy to link anything. I like to not mess with a cell phone while driving but this makes it somewhat safer. Quick on and off of a call, back to the the driving 100%.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if a bone conduction earphone would bypass the part of my ear that is causing tinnitus (constant whistles that sometimes beat together) and the high frequency loss. I have seen bone conduction headsets for fire department use to overcome the losses caused by the work environment. Only, they are about a $1000 a pop. They are specific to the radio and no BT.
It may be simpler to wait for new hearing aids the have BT.
I like the idea of connect to the head in a vehicle. My Nissan Frontier has connectivity and it is easy to link anything. I like to not mess with a cell phone while driving but this makes it somewhat safer. Quick on and off of a call, back to the the driving 100%.

I have Nuear HA’s and Starkey Halo 2’s, both BT, neither will connect to my G5, only my phone. I don’t believe bone conduction devices will help with tinnitus but possibly could be loud enough to over ride the whistle sound. There are so many variables with BT and hearing devices that only an engineer can decipher.

If Unication would release the 1.3 firmware I’m sure we would have more BT options.

K4RBT

I have the Starkey Halo 2 and have trouble linking to my iPhone 8. Phone connects like a rabbit in my Frontier, just push the button. This is my second set from Starkey. Drown the first pair getting in to the first shower aft a full left knee replacement. My sister got her hearing aides at Costco, they have an audiologist in the store for profiling your hearing. Looked them up on-line, great reviews and 1/2 the cost of the Starkeys.
Since I cannot use headphones with the aides, I designed an equalizer that matches the frequency loss. Ah, getting old (at least that is what they attribute things that are breaking)!

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I have the Starkey Halo 2 and have trouble linking to my iPhone 8. Phone connects like a rabbit in my Frontier, just push the button. This is my second set from Starkey. Drown the first pair getting in to the first shower aft a full left knee replacement. My sister got her hearing aides at Costco, they have an audiologist in the store for profiling your hearing. Looked them up on-line, great reviews and 1/2 the cost of the Starkeys.
Since I cannot use headphones with the aides, I designed an equalizer that matches the frequency loss. Ah, getting old (at least that is what they attribute things that are breaking)!
Got my Halo 2’s from the VA. I’ve used them with iPhone 7, 8, 10xr and 11. Some days the phone will pair, most days not unless I reboot the phone. The NuEar’s pair every time but are in need of repair. I use Apple AirPods with both HA’s with no issues. I also use full coverage headphones with my HA’s at home in the shack.

The Unication G5 has much better audio for me than either of my Uniden scanners but there are times when I want/need to listen privately. I recognize that the Unication radios are pagers and there is little need for BT accessories but I’m hoping firmware 1.3 gets a full BT commitment.

fmulder13

I’m running 1.4 and have found these to be basically unusable. They connect, but they take so long to unmute that transmissions or beginnings of transmissions are missed entirely.

disasterops

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried a pair of AirPod pro with the Unication any opinions ? Is the Bluetooth audio clear ?

PapaG

WB4IAR
Premium Subscriber
As I type this, I’m listening to my G5 with a pair of AirPod Pro’s and the audio is crystal clear.

gspivey

Disregard that. I got it paired. I was trying to pair under bt device tab rather than the earphone tab on the g5. You have to use earphone tab.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
nevermind i figured it out

How To Put Your AirPods Into Bluetooth Pairing Mode
  1. Put your AirPods into the Charging Case.
  2. Keep the lid of your Charging Case open.
  3. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the Charging Case.
  4. When the status light begins to flash white, your AirPods are in Bluetooth pairing mode.
then you can search on the Unication for the AirPods and connect

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
For those using the Apple Airpods Pro, here is how you turn-off the incoming beep every time there is audio (gets annoying...). I believe this works with other BT headsets that support the incoming beep option (it is headset specific, not Unication specific).

BT Headset.jpg

blackbelter

Air Pods can pair up with G4/5 pagers, however in my experience in order to hear the traffic clearly, you must turn the pager volume to plus 70. When not using the AirPods, pagers volume remains @ 40-45.

Last edited:

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Air Pods can pair up with G4/5 pagers, however in my experience in order to hear the traffic clearly, you must turn the pager volume to plus 70. When not using the AirPods, pagers volume remains @ 40-45.

I have found the same regarding the volume setting. One thing that helps is to turn the noise cancelling feature of the AirPods ON. Audio is very clear and easy to hear inside, at least. There are probably better solutions for noisy environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.