I give up, please help - Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayrow

Feed Provider
I hate to create a post like this, but I have given up.
I've searched these forums and found a couple of posts from other having similar problems, but no solution.

-Radio Shack PRO-96
-Latest firmware installed
-new MECA Digital Frequencies from the databse loaded via WIN96
- "Type" set to "Motorola"
- system set to "open"
- Rx mode on all channels set to "MOT"
- CT/DC set to 0.0
- Delay "on"
- Atten "off"

I am not hearing a damn thing. My department radio worked fine on OPS1 this afternoon at the 3alarm fire, but I heard nothing on my scanner.

Help!

Viper43

I hate to create a post like this, but I have given up.
I've searched these forums and found a couple of posts from other having similar problems, but no solution.

-Radio Shack PRO-96
-Latest firmware installed
-new MECA Digital Frequencies from the databse loaded via WIN96
- "Type" set to "Motorola"
- system set to "open"
- Rx mode on all channels set to "MOT"
- CT/DC set to 0.0
- Delay "on"
- Atten "off"

I am not hearing a damn thing. My department radio worked fine on OPS1 this afternoon at the 3alarm fire, but I heard nothing on my scanner.

Help!

Type should be P25 or Motorola P25 not Motorola Type II or 1

V

Viper43

It doesn't? Last I looked Mot 9600 is P25 not MOT or MOT3600. I can't help it Don Starr can't write software that isn't uniform, but either way you, and the OP should know that P25 is 9600 and not 3600

V

hoser147

You should consider Win 96 and a premium subscription to RR, it makes programing your scanner a breeze, and if you are going to travel you can upload freqs to your scanner in a few minutes and not have the headaches. There is a 30 day trial for Win96 give it a try...............Hoser

seamusg

It doesn't? Last I looked Mot 9600 is P25 not MOT or MOT3600. I can't help it Don Starr can't write software that isn't uniform, but either way you, and the OP should know that P25 is 9600 and not 3600

V
It' very plain you never used a PRO96. The fat finger setting is MO and does not have any thing to do with Don's software.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
You should consider Win 96 and a premium subscription to RR, it makes programing your scanner a breeze, and if you are going to travel you can upload freqs to your scanner in a few minutes and not have the headaches. There is a 30 day trial for Win96 give it a try...............Hoser

Check the original post. He does have Win96. Used it to grab the latest data. :D

Now as I understand it, P25 systems are much better than typical type II or I trunking about how they transmit channel assignments, however I think the problem is how the PRO-96 interprets this data on a rebanded system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are some custom tables he'll have to set up in Win96 to get it working again. Yes?

-AZ

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It doesn't? Last I looked Mot 9600 is P25 not MOT or MOT3600. I can't help it Don Starr can't write software that isn't uniform

Mot9600 is P25, but that's not an option on the Pro96. Not sure why the slam on Don's software... In any case - your comment didn't help :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Ok guys,

Check device manager Ports (COM & LPT) for USB to Serial Port number. Use that number in Win96 Configuration Menu Serial port.

If this is not your problem, please be a little more specific, ie, what are you importing to the software and are you getting it into the software or is the problem getting your download to the scanner?

Last edited:

Ayrow

Feed Provider
Thanks for everyone's replies, guys. Talk about a weird problem I am having.
I took my PRO-96 to Radio Shack complaining that I could hear everything analog, but not digital.
The salesman said that they had not had a chance to program in the new digital frequencies on the display radios, so they weren't sure if theirs were working either.
I talked the salesman into letting me clone my 96 into one of the new 96's they had sitting on the shelf, since I have all of the frequencies programmed.
After I did this, their new radio was picking up the digital system, but mine was still not. Switching of the antennas yielded no change. Quite simply, there's aparently something wrong with my radio.

I turned off/on my radio and my CPU version is 1.2 and my DSP version is 1.4 (newly updated).
The radio on the shelf was CPU v1.3 and DSP v1.3

My new quesion is: Is the reason my radio is not picking up the digital system because of the older CPU version (that has to be updated by sending it to Radio Shack in Texas) or is my radio just plain broken?

I am not going to be happy if I have to send this thing back to Radio Shack and pay big bucks to have it "repaired". I've had it for almost two years and it has been a great radio until now.

jerk

I took my PRO-96 to Radio Shack complaining that I could hear everything analog, but not digital.
The salesman said that they had not had a chance to program in the new digital frequencies on the display radios, so they weren't sure if theirs were working either.
I talked the salesman into letting me clone my 96 into one of the new 96's they had sitting on the shelf, since I have all of the frequencies programmed.
After I did this, their new radio was picking up the digital system, but mine was still not. Switching of the antennas yielded no change. Quite simply, there's aparently something wrong with my radio.

I turned off/on my radio and my CPU version is 1.2 and my DSP version is 1.4 (newly updated).

My new quesion is: Is the reason my radio is not picking up the digital system because of the older CPU version (that has to be updated by sending it to Radio Shack in Texas) or is my radio just plain broken?

I am not going to be happy if I have to send this thing back to Radio Shack and pay big bucks to have it "repaired". I've had it for almost two years and it has been a great radio until now.
You can try resetting it, and reverting back to the old firmware, and then try and see if you have reception.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
My new quesion is: Is the reason my radio is not picking up the digital system because of the older CPU version (that has to be updated by sending it to Radio Shack in Texas)

No - the differences between CPU 1.3 and 1.4 are not the cause of any such problem.

N9WP

I helped program a 2096 for a guy about a year ago so he could listen to SAFE-T and his could not decode any digital either. He luckilly was in the return window so he exchanged it for a new one and the next day I programmed the new scanner and all was fine. I don't know if that helps you any, but I doubt you are alone and you probably will have to send it in for repair. I've also read a forum thread on this somewhere too.

sjwref

Update

It's been about a year since I was able to program my 96 with the new MECA stuff. Are there any new frequs or issues that I need to be aware of to improve my experience? Aside from some static, it seems to be working ok. Are there are software updates that I need to consider? Thanks.....sjwref

Status
Not open for further replies.