I got a lemon 1098 or it just sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

So I received my new 1098 from Amazon today.
Tried to update the CPU, put me right into brick mode.
Called Tech support, downloaded the tool, was able to restore the CPU.
BUT, it does not receive much of anything. Gets some local strong analog and that's about it. Can't get it to trunk for anything. One mile from JFK airport, can not lock onto the Port Authority EDACS system. Can listen to the NJSP control channel, it sounds good and strong, does not receive thing one.
All this while my other Whistler/Radio Shack/GRE 800 series scanners are chattering away, along with my 2 996 and 996P2 etc.
NOTHING is wrong with my setup, OBVIOUSLY I know how to program these scanners.
I also am unable to update the DSP. EZ Scan says there is no DSP, but it won't install.
Looks like this POS goes back in the morning.
Too bad, love the remote head but I paid for a scanner not a paperweight.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Is there a factory reset option or something similar on this line of scanners? I ran into the no DSP problem when people started updating there PSR800s into whistler 1080s. The fix was to write DSP 3.0 back into the scanner using firmware tool that was used to convert the 800 to 1080s. You may be able to load a older version of firmware and then write the DSP to the radio as I had to do to fix many altered 800s that found there way to me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HamRFinCT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Send your program to the thread for everyone to review. You're probably are more confident than you should be and have missed something simple in the setup. We will ground you.

SCPD

QRT
Why not ask for another scanner ? Maybe you got a bad one.I live in NJ,and mine blows the doors off the 536HP Uniden!
If the PSR800 works,this will work for sure.
What kind of antenna are you using?This thing is mad sensitive,if youre using a base antenna try the supplied antenna.
Sure you dont have the attenuator on ?If you do it will have G And A on the screen,.select default values in Program mode.
Not by any means telling you what to do,but try another one on Amazon's dime,they will make it right,great comnpany!

This I Bet is your issue:
On the reception issue,format the SD card,download EZscan from Whistle,format the card in the scanner,reload everything,put only one system that you know if active and try that.Make sure the ScanLIST and scanSET is ON for that system,this here is a biggy.
If NJ trunk is in ScanLIST001 it must be part of ScanSET001 and the box needs to be ticked On otherwise no reception of said system.
I.e.
So if you put NJ trunk in ScanLIST001 and ScanSET007 is on and ScanLIST001 is not part of it,then it will do nada.

Did you try the PSR800 SD card in this?It should work.

Last edited:

lou9155

i just returned a trx 2 . side by side pro652 using the extendable antenna trx 2 using my discone same 10 object scan list the trx2 missed so much ..local easy to recieve freq.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
TRX2

Did it ever occur to you that the discone overloaded the front end and was was the cause of the problem? Too much signal is harder to cure sometimes than too little.

scosgt

Why not ask for another scanner ? Maybe you got a bad one.I live in NJ,and mine blows the doors off the 536HP Uniden!
If the PSR800 works,this will work for sure.
What kind of antenna are you using?This thing is mad sensitive,if youre using a base antenna try the supplied antenna.
Sure you dont have the attenuator on ?If you do it will have G And A on the screen,.select default values in Program mode.
Not by any means telling you what to do,but try another one on Amazon's dime,they will make it right,great comnpany!

This I Bet is your issue:
On the reception issue,format the SD card,download EZscan from Whistle,format the card in the scanner,reload everything,put only one system that you know if active and try that.Make sure the ScanLIST and scanSET is ON for that system,this here is a biggy.
If NJ trunk is in ScanLIST001 it must be part of ScanSET001 and the box needs to be ticked On otherwise no reception of said system.
I.e.
So if you put NJ trunk in ScanLIST001 and ScanSET007 is on and ScanLIST001 is not part of it,then it will do nada.

Been there done all this stuff. No joy. One of the symptoms is that it will stop on a Port Authority TG., but no audio and it "flashes", like it is sorta maybe getting reception. Have tried the included antenna, RS 800 MHZ antenna, no real difference. I can barely hear NYC channels, and that is absurd. Maybe just a lemon. Got the DSP in with the tool from Whistler, no joy. Returning it to Amazon. Very disappointed.

lou9155

Did it ever occur to you that the discone overloaded the front end and was was the cause of the problem? Too much signal is harder to cure sometimes than too little.

not really ..pro652 is usually hooked to the discone with excellent reception . i live rural no signal overload here

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You said local, easy to receive signal, not rural, and Whistler (GRE) radios have had known overload sensitivity in past models. Have you compared the receive characteristics of both to see if that could be a cause?

scosgt

You may be a genius!!!
As soon as I out in the card from the 800, I saw a big difference. The initialing SD card thing was about 10X faster, and the NJSP came right up!

So I pulled another new SD card and juiced it up, and now all is working properly, PAPD and NJSP. I use MicroCenter SD cards, they are cheap and rarely give a problem, this is only the second bad one I ever had.

But it appears it was the card all along. That may also be why I had so much trouble doing the CPU and DSP updates.

Thanks

trp2525

...I use MicroCenter SD cards, they are cheap and rarely give a problem, this is only the second bad one I ever had.

But it appears it was the card all along. That may also be why I had so much trouble doing the CPU and DSP updates...

Whistler Tech Support told me that they started supplying only SanDisk brand SD cards with their new scanners about a year ago. They also "recommend" SanDisk brand SD cards in their owner's manuals.

I recently found a good deal on a genuine SanDisk 8GB class 10 SD card to use as a spare with my new TRX-2. If anyone is interested it was $6.99 with FREE shipping included: SanDisk Ultra 8GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card Up To 40MB/s- SDSDUN-008G-G46

scosgt

And I give up. Still not stopping on a lot of transmissions. I don't have any more time to devote to this. Returning to Amazon.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to hijack the thread and those may be excellent cards but I quit buying them on eBay. First, I never buy anything from anyone that less than a 99.6% rating. Second, because of the proliferation of counterfeit cards, I only buy from established companies. I've heard SanDisk and Toshiba are the most counterfeited cards out there but that's anecdotal and not based on fact.

SCPD

QRT
Whistler

And I give up. Still not stopping on a lot of transmissions. I don't have any more time to devote to this. Returning to Amazon.

Did you try it with the Stock antenna with the SD card that was wroking?
If it works then the antenna on the roof is overloading the front end.
They have attenuators for this......
I had the same issue with a PRO197 Radio shack,when I connected the base antenna I heard a transparent
noise on top of VHF,I took a 10K ohm potentiometer rammed it into a Radio shack fm trap box and it fixed the overload issues.
I'd love to see a video with this head to head with a scanner thats kicking its butt!
Try the stock antenna,you still have it so far or have Amazon ship you a new one overnight,they did that for me for a radio and it costed me zero additional.
Amazon will make good.

lou9155

besides my reception issues..i really found the interface and navigation dial so awkward to do common tasks. and i mean can the buttons get smaller? i thought the display could give more info as it scans.on my pro652 i can do a service search pressing one button and im there..trx2 gotta hit menu scroll down hit button for service scroll down find ranges hit button ....i guess this is how scanners will be designed sd card and all...oh i needed a new card too

trp2525

I don't want to hijack the thread and those may be excellent cards but I quit buying them on eBay. First, I never buy anything from anyone that less than a 99.6% rating. Second, because of the proliferation of counterfeit cards, I only buy from established companies. I've heard SanDisk and Toshiba are the most counterfeited cards out there but that's anecdotal and not based on fact.

I don't know if you were specifically referencing my eBay post above, but that eBay seller I linked to is Ritz Camera and they have been around since 1918 and are very reputable. They have a "Top Rated Plus" rating on eBay with feedback totaling over 33,000. Unlike most eBay sellers, they also have a toll-free customer service phone line if you have any issues. In addition they also offer a 30-day money back return policy.

I personally ordered one of those SanDisk 8GB SD cards from Ritz Camera on a Friday and had it in my mailbox the following Monday. It was in a factory-sealed retail package identical to what is sold in retail stores and it worked perfectly in my TRX-2. FYI I rarely recommend anything here on RR that I do not have personal positive experience with.

scosgt

Did you try it with the Stock antenna with the SD card that was wroking?
If it works then the antenna on the roof is overloading the front end.
They have attenuators for this......
I had the same issue with a PRO197 Radio shack,when I connected the base antenna I heard a transparent
noise on top of VHF,I took a 10K ohm potentiometer rammed it into a Radio shack fm trap box and it fixed the overload issues.
I'd love to see a video with this head to head with a scanner thats kicking its butt!
Try the stock antenna,you still have it so far or have Amazon ship you a new one overnight,they did that for me for a radio and it costed me zero additional.
Amazon will make good.

These threads get so jumbled. I do not have an antenna on the roof. The stock antenna is a telescoping antenna, which for some reason did work better than the RS 800 MHZ duckie. Whatever, the radio just keeps on scanning while the other scanners are talking. So I think it is probably defective.

trp2525

...So I think it is probably defective.

FWIW I just returned a brand-new TRX-2 that I purchased from Walmart.com because it was having issues with the scanner not powering up at times and intermittent issues of no audio. It's unknown if it came from the factory that way or if it got damaged during shipping due to very poor/substandard packaging by the shipper.

A new replacement TRX-2 arrived yesterday and so far it is working perfectly. So if you think your WS1098 is defective by all means have a new one sent to you to see how it performs compared to the one you have now.

SCPD

QRT
Why post then?

You buy Whistler You buy junk

You hate Whistler so bad,what are you doing in a Whistler forum?Uniden has a forum just for you!
Why be unhappy Dave?
I have no issues with Whistler,I like Uniden too,to me the Whistler has a bigger display.
Just trying to help this guy out with his Whistler,,but I think he'd rather have a 652,so he made his decision already.I know a 652 is not a Uniden.....

Status
Not open for further replies.