• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

I got a new job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Hello fellow members!

Just wanted to let some of my buddies on here know I got a new job! I have been working as a firefighter for about 4 years now. While it has been fun, it just doesn't pay enough or give any future, in my city anyway. The tiny dept I have been working at only pays $18,000/year. Plus you have to pay for a percentage of your insurance and a percentage on the retirement plan. We have a fireman that has been here for 28 years and is only making $1000 more/year than I am. It is truly sad. I also know for a fact that if I stay 25 years and retire, the retiment will be such that I will have to have a full time job, even after retirement. I would only draw $500 to $1000 per month on retiremtn. The retirement plan just isn't very good.

After struggling to pay bills for nearly 4 years I decided to look for something else.

I applied with the Arkansas State Police for a radio operator position about a month ago. There was 24 of us interviewed for the job over 4 different days. I got the call this morning and was told pending the background investigation (I have nothing to hide) I am the one they selected !

WooooHoooo! The pay is much better, especially after you start advancing in seniority. They will pay 100% on my insurance as well as 100% for my wife and kids! This will save me a couple hundred per month. To have my wife and kids on my FD insurance would be over $350 / month per person. It was a joke!

They also pay 100% of my retirement and the retiment should be to where I don't have to work at age 65 or will only have to work very little.

I didn't have any "inside" connections so to speak. I knew a dispatcher working there but he doesn't have much pull. I did go to the Troop HQ and meet with the Cpt. and Lt. when I applied and let them know I was applying for the job and spoke with them for a few minutes. A few weeks went by and then I got an interview last week with the Chief Radio Operator and the Lt., very nerve racking, lol. I honestly didn't think I was going to get it. But by God's grace, I did.

This should help my family and me out tremendously and allow me to do a job I know I will enjoy.

I will remain on the FD as a volunteer (they get to do all the fun stuff anyway).

Now I have to see about transferring my retirement from FD to ASP or cashing it out (depending to how much of a penelty I have to pay).

Anyway, just an FYI.

safetyobc

Thanks guys!

Yeah, even FD's 90 miles north of us start out in the low 30's. However, to move would require uprooting my kids from their schools, family (grandparents for babbysitting :D ) and asking my wife to leave a great job she has (making lots more that I do, lol).

The only option was to look for something else. I lucked out and saw the advertisment for this job on the arkansas state jobs website. Applied and got it. They pay isn't that much more starting out, but will definatley increase as I gain seniority, and will help take some strain off by paying insurance and retirement.

Right now, they have 3 openings in troops A, B, and E for radio operators. I am in Troop F.

safetyobc

pathalogical said:
Did you tell them about your scanning hobby ? It freaks people out when you know what they are talking about. Might even give you an upper edge because you have an idea how the system works.
Yeah, I told them a little. You know when they asked why I would be good for the job, I explained how I know all the 10-codes in use because of listening to the scanner. They didn't seem to mind. I failed to mention I was a real "scanner nut" as my wife calls me. lol.

maalox said:
congradulations. more money means more scanners.
Thanks! HA HA. I wonder if my wife will go for that. lol.

safetyobc

rpowley said:
Congrats and Good Luck - I know changing jobs can be a little stressful.

Yeah, it has been stressful though the hiring process. And is still stressful not knowing what all to expect. It is hard to leave my comfort zone, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good news is that if I cash my retirement out, I may can swing a BCD996T to add to my collection! But I'll have to wait and see how that works out.

Thanks guys!

rpowley

safetyobc said:
Yeah, it has been stressful though the hiring process. And is still stressful not knowing what all to expect. It is hard to leave my comfort zone, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Good news is that if I cash my retirement out, I may can swing a BCD996T to add to my collection! But I'll have to wait and see how that works out.

Thanks guys!
I know what you mean....I have 2 offers and have a week to decide and both pay about the same. One is in the communications field where I can buy at cost. My wife is hoping I take the other. She is worried about the prospect of a 40' tower in the back yard :wink:

safetyobc

rpowley said:
I know what you mean....I have 2 offers and have a week to decide and both pay about the same. One is in the communications field where I can buy at cost. My wife is hoping I take the other. She is worried about the prospect of a 40' tower in the back yard :wink:
Well sir, I wish the best. No matter what your decision make sure you'll like doing it. that makes a whole lot of difference. If you like it, it is worth a little less pay sometimes.

Good Luck!

matt

Radio1114

Wow congrats Safteypro hope you enjoy it.I have a couple of friends that are dispatchers for the police in our city and they seem to love it.My father was a fireman for over 35 years here.And he enjoyed it but there were also some bad times.Hope you the best in your new carreer.

safetyobc

Thanks Wilf and Tonsoffun!

The Chief Radio Operator just stopped by my house to congradulate me. I thought that was a nice gesture. Everyone here in Troop F are very friendly and professional.

Thanks guys.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.