I got ripped off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mully95

I bought a BCD396T scanner from "scanners-direct" off of ebay and they have not shipped it yet. I emailed them and got no response at all. I contacted PayPal and have made a claim and waiting on the sellers response. They have 10 days to comply and I guess after that I will get my money back from PayPal. The lady I talked to said that I will get my money back if they do not ship the scanner. The seller has Buyer Protection Insurance up to $2000.

Has anyone ever been in this type of situation on Ebay?

How was it finally resolved?

I have bought a bunch of things using Ebay and this is the first time I ever had a problem. Now I will double check the sellers feedback next time because if I checked "scanners-direct" feedback I would have not got myself into this predicament. Their feedback shows that they cannot be trusted. My fault.

SLWilson

I've....

I've never trusted Ebay.

We had a guy here locally selling all sorts of stuff. Getting people's money (he NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED ACTUALLY SENDING THEM THEIR ORDER) cashing their check etc....

It was a deputy's kid. Imagine that.
Anyway, he finally got caught, but dozens of folks were out their money.....

Ebay might be OK, but, it isn't for me.....

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

mully95

Wow....was his dad the one that arrested him? LOL!

The lady at PayPal said that I will get money back or a scanner but I just don't feel to comfortable about it right now. I will have to wait until this coming Monday when the ten days is over.

MegaForce

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Chances are if you wait that 10 days, the seller will have removed all means of recouping your money - be it removing money from a bank account, canceling the card on that paypal account, etc.

Contact your bank/credit card company and let them know straight away.

And next time, before you bid, run the sellers ID through http://www.toolhaus.org/ - it will show you every negative, neutral, and withdrawn feedback they've ever had. Such as with "scanner direct":

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=scanners-direct&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That's why I always buy locally. I may pay a bit more than I would via mail order or flea-bay but I get my scanner immediately after parting with my money and I have a reasonable form of recourse if the product is defective.

Been eyeing the PSR500 lately more and more... damn it all, the wife ain't gonna like me buying another toy... LOL...

-AZ

bwhite

AZ,
Just curious, other than RS scanners where can you buy the others locally ? I'm guessing you mean at a brick and mortar store.
Thanx

mully95

MegaForce said:
Chances are if you wait that 10 days, the seller will have removed all means of recouping your money - be it removing money from a bank account, canceling the card on that paypal account, etc.

Contact your bank/credit card company and let them know straight away.

And next time, before you bid, run the sellers ID through http://www.toolhaus.org/ - it will show you every negative, neutral, and withdrawn feedback they've ever had. Such as with "scanner direct":

Thanks for the link. I will use it.

I just got off the phone with PayPal and basically asked if the seller removes all means of recouping my money will I get my money back? He said YES that I would get my money either way. That is good news. The fellow at PayPal said that right now the dispute is in my favor and that I will definitely get my money if the seller dose not respond. Respond meaning that a) get my scanner in the mail b) contacting PayPal. He also said that they have sent the seller more than one notification that there is a claim against them with no response. If the seller did not have Buyers Protection on the item THEN I would have lost my money. I am lucky that he did and have learned more to what to look for before buying.

mully95

AZScanner said:
That's why I always buy locally. I may pay a bit more than I would via mail order or flea-bay but I get my scanner immediately after parting with my money and I have a reasonable form of recourse if the product is defective.

Been eyeing the PSR500 lately more and more... damn it all, the wife ain't gonna like me buying another toy... LOL...

-AZ
I wished everything that I need was local but I use ebay alot for restoring a 67 Plymouth Barracuda that I have. Ebay has helped me tremendously in the restoration because most of the parts I could not get local. It is a risk that I have to take I guess.

hoser147

Ive done quite abit on ebay as a buyer and a seller, only had one problem, that was as a seller, and the person claimed not to have received the item even though it was a delivery conformation, USPS. Now you order something it costs an extra couple of bucks and you have to sign for it. That way were both protected.................Hoser

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
MegaForce said:

You don't need to do that, just check them while you're on eBay:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=scanners-direct&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

You should always do that before buying, or selling on eBay.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
mully95 said:
I contacted PayPal and have made a claim and waiting on the sellers response. They have 10 days to comply and I guess after that I will get my money back from PayPal. The lady I talked to said that I will get my money back if they do not ship the scanner.
You should ask eBay why this person still has an active account.

MegaForce

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Greatlakes, toolhaus strips out all positive feedback, as well as showing neutrals and withdrawn FB's. and when dealing with sellers who get 1000's of FB's in a week, without that it would be impossible to check out the negatives and neutrals.

Take this joker for example.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=wntc&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:us&iid=200210856238

Notice all that positive feedback? Damned near impossible to see what they're really like (a number of people have been keeping tabs on this seller, btw)

Now take a look at the same seller with toolhaus.
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=wntc&Dirn=Received+by

zz0468

QRT
I'm curious as to how long it's been between the time you sent money, and declaring that you've been ripped off.

XTS3000

Didn't you check the feedback before buying? His feedback is horrible. Never would have even thought of buying a scanner or anything from this guy due to his feedback.

I've sold and bought about 85 items from eBay in the past 4 years. Never had a problem what-so-ever. I do my homework first to avoid problems like this.

You, as the buyer must take some responsibliity for your poor decision to do business with scanners-direct - had you read his feedback (as should be done on EVeRY purchase) you would have been forwarned of his slow shipping and lack of communications.

Good luck

mully95

zz0468 said:
I'm curious as to how long it's been between the time you sent money, and declaring that you've been ripped off.
Scanners-direct got paid on the MAR 16 and I paid for 2 to 3 day shipping via priority mail. I placed a claim with PayPal on the MAR 21.

I looked at their feedback and just went ahead a made a claim.

mully95

XTS3000 said:
Didn't you check the feedback before buying? His feedback is horrible. Never would have even thought of buying a scanner or anything from this guy due to his feedback.

I've sold and bought about 85 items from eBay in the past 4 years. Never had a problem what-so-ever. I do my homework first to avoid problems like this.

You, as the buyer must take some responsibliity for your poor decision to do business with scanners-direct - had you read his feedback (as should be done on EVeRY purchase) you would have been forwarned of his slow shipping and lack of communications.

Good luck
Yeah..Yeah.. I know.

At the time they was the cheapest for a new BCD396 which I believe is already over priced and I didn't look at the feed back.

Go-24

mully95 said:
I bought a BCD396T scanner from "scanners-direct" off of ebay and they have not shipped it yet.
How long has it been? What, only 5 days? WOW - you sure are impatient!

I've found that shipping timeframes are not from the date of purchase but from the date of shipping and that goes for everything just not eBay. If you pay for 3 day shipping on the 10th that doesnt necessarily mean you will get it on the 13th. It would depend on when the order was processed what time of day it was etc. It would also depend on what day the item was actually shipped.

I actually had a package take nearly a month to get to me once. I was mad all along the way, thinking the seller was just screwing me then it arrived one day and the box looked like it had been to hell and back - clearly on the shipping tag it showed that it was shipped when the seller said. The item was under $20 so I wasnt overly upset - if it had been an expensive item Id have been at the post office after just a week.

Seems the issue with this seller is poor communication - that often goes both ways seller AND buyer!

Last edited:

hoser147

I plan on using the site Mega put up, probably more dependable feedback than the ebay feedback policy. Mully did scanners direct do your feedback?? If the place didnt give you feedback it is because they will give you negative feedback so as to be able to mitagate the feedback by withdraw. As a seller your feedback should be as soon as the customer pays you and it should be done. My son made a purchase and the seller didnt give him his feedback, was slow to ship and poorly packed, as soon as my son gave him a negative the seller gave my son a negative, sellers only feedback comment was he should have contacted the seller before doing a bad feedback!! BS when you pay you are done. the rest is on the seller. Feedback is a tool just like when you do a deal here on RR. I would rather do business here just for that reason. Good Luck Hoser

zz0468

QRT
Go-24 said:
I actually had a package take nearly a month to get to me once.
I've done a LOT of ebay purchases, and selling too. I've had a number of transactions that have taken close to a month to complete. 30 days betwen bid close and item in the buyers hand is where I start getting concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.